You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

We should not be a burden when living and "bothersome"even for those who carry us to the grave

We must lead the life in such a way that our life should not be a burden during our living time and one must give good credentials about us even after death. Some people lead a lavish style of living and eating so with much liking of food, they become so fat and when the death comes to them, the four persons who are supposed to carry should not curse for the bothersome of the weight of the dead body. Living a contended life, with helping others and eating less so that others would not feel the weight of us when being shifted to grave.
    Mr. Mohan, All the people think of slim body for living long and having good health. You have shown an advantage of slim body after death also. It is nice.

If the body is very hefty the four people carrying the body to grave only will curse. But that may not happen also as nowadays all are using vehicles for shifting the dead body to grave yard.

But the good deeds one has done during his lifetime will live long. After death people will remember him/her and say some good words. Everybody should try to be good to other people, shouldn't pull others for our own benefit and help the needy. Then people remember such people after death also.

Contentment in eating will give slim body and contentment in earnings will bring happiness and satisfaction.

drrao
    always confident

Why are you targeting communities that bury their dead? Raise a general thread - why do you have to mention 'shifted to grave'? Are people who are set on funeral pyres not heavy? This is such blatant discrimination against people belonging to certain religious beliefs.
    Underestimate me...that'll be fun!

Juana you are always having the habit of reading between the lines and finding fault. My intention was not to hurt any one nor any community. My observation is for all those who die and carried by four people.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Duplicate.

Yes I stand by my mention. Before the body is put on pyre , it is shifted to the pedestal consists of so many logs. And that stands the meaning shifting of body.
    K Mohan

Mohan - Stop hurling accusations.

You have used the term 'to the grave' and used the word 'grave' twice. Do you know the meaning of the word grave? If not please look it up in the dictionary. Do your people carry their dead to the grave? Do you not consign your dead to the flames? There is a marked difference between a grave and a pyre.

There is no reading between the lines. I am reading your words - plain and simple.

Mr Mohan has raised an interesting thread that we must do good things in life and help others so that after our death people will remember us in a positive way.

Taking the dead to the grave is only a phrase which means the formalities of taking a dead person to pyre or grave or crematorium whatever way the rituals and formalities in his community.

If a person is selfish and untrue to his friends and relatives, they will be cursing him even during those formalities.

Sometimes we take literal meaning of words and feel offended while the author had no intention to do it.

I am taking this thread in the usual application of phrases to impress upon some aspect of life.

Knowledge is power.

Juana not all Hindus go for pyre, there are graves too. So I stand by my statement and pity for your ignorance.
    K Mohan

Umesh,

I wish my knowledge of the language was as superior as yours, but alas it isn't. Or is it that you have made your own interpretation of a phrase which actually has nothing to do with the formalities of the last rights!

In a country where the majority consign their dead to the flames, set on a funeral pyre, it is odd to find the terms 'carry to the grave' and 'shifted to the grave'. Maybe, I took the literal meaning, or maybe the author intended something else.

Juana, I think you got Mohan wrong. I can definitely feel and understand that he did not intend any community in special.
    When he used word 'grave' in his mind it would have been about the last place-whether funeral pyre or burial. (Mohan probably did not get the word crematorium or 'cremation pyre' ,when he wrote the thread). I think, in this instance, you unnecessary got worked up taking the mistake, of not using the exact or apt word, as hinting at something intentionally.

Please do not fall victim to avoidable imaginations when there is no real intention. Please do not play on someone's ignorance or lack of proficiency in English.

I can fully understand what Mohan meant because I also occasionally do social community service and carry dead body to the crematorium. A heavy body is difficult to carry, as usually only four people carry the body either on a stretcher or an improvised support( in the community traditions to which I belong.)

Though Mohan could not write in a polished language, I fully understand the core point in the thread.

How many Hindus bury their dead? Don't try to pull wool over people's eyes. I wish your knowledge had surfaced when you clarified your stand about shifting the body to the pyre.

Ms. Juana: A good percentage of Hindus (if not majority) living in South India bury their dead. In North-East also, some Hindus are buried after death. So, this thread is not targetting any community.
    Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

Mr. Mohan getting tall , short or heavy or light weight is not under human control the way you narrating things. There are people who don't eat much and become very fat, there are people who try to get fatter and eat anything but and remain thin. There are individuals who want a strong physique do gym do eat a lot but unable to get the weight. You must be given shoulder to some dead body or saw some heavyweight dead body whom the persons carrying find difficulty but you should be rational. Hyderabad regions people are having a liking for tastebuds but the way you are mentioning to control to body weight is beyond control. Further in the current environment, the grave issue is little touchy as person from other religion get hurt. I do know that Hindus young children sent to grave but this one was certainly not in a good taste. Especially from the person like you who are instructing to plan things after death. Its better to care for living than dead.
    Farid Akhtar
    ISC-Joined for fun but learn and earn.

Venkiteswaran,

Mohan's ignorance or lack of proficiency in English is not under debate here. I do not think he is so ignorant that he did not know what the term meant. I have been following his posts and have seen reference being made to the 'eating' habits of a certain community. Of course, you are free to your opinion.

Partha,

Applaud your knowledge. But, in my opinion, exceptions do not make the rule.

I am associated with the South through marriage and have been living in Chennai for the past 13 years, this is not counting the number of occasions I visited the city. I spent 8 years in Visakhapatnam and have lived in Kochi and Secunderabad as well, and visited Hyderabad on many occasions. In all these years I have never seen a cemetery/graveyard dedicated to Hindus. Yes, there are unmarked graves in villages, along highways, but where in the cities can they be spotted. Can you help me identify the locations of burial grounds of Hindus in Chennai - or better still in Hyderabad, where Mohan resides?

I'd also like information of Hindus in the North-East burying their dead. Google search brought up nothing.

A genuine thread was raised by Mr. Mohan without a thought of any religion or community. Grave is not a propriety to one particular religion. Grave is a common place to bury the dead irrespective of their religion. Hindus do bury the dead in the graveyard. There are crematoriums located near the graveyard. Let the members not get confused about burying of the dead. It is very difficult to carry a heavy weight dead body. Also it requires a large area to bury, or a lot of logs to cremate the body. Hindus too bury the dead.
    No life without Sun ¤

There are burial grounds earmarked for the Hindus in Hyderabad and one is very near to my house at Neredmet. Here the practice is to have a structure constructed over the grave and that is offered prayer every anniversary.
    K Mohan

Hindus do not have a common area to bury the dead. They have a common area for both burial and cremation. Mohan simply used the word grave . He has not committed a grave mistake, but is right with his thought.

@# 599242 - A hurried response without any knowledge and good understanding.

No life without Sun ¤

Great Juana by raking unnecessary issue of no importance you scored 14 points on this thread itself and I wonder where our Honorable editors have gone ?
    K Mohan

Mohan,

Let's not get personal. I do not have to resort to this, to earn points, for that I have to just answer every forum thread, share every social media feed I receive and post responses in every resource thread. So, please stop this cheap tactic of bringing into the discussion 'points' – I am very capable of earning both points and CC without making desperate attempts. I am also wasting my time earning measly points when I could be earning real cash now. The purpose behind this is to object to this thread which is an indirect insult the dead of certain communities.

You do not give as examples, practices, common to a particular group of people when addressing all of the population. Examples always come from common practices, among the majority - if not, they are seen as targeting the minority. If your thread is a general observation, it should use general terms – graves are predominantly associated with two religious sects, and I belong to one of them. Giving solitary examples of graves of Hindus is a futile attempt to cover up. I have conceded that a few Hindus are buried. Should there not be huge graveyards, everywhere, since it now appears to be a much common practice. This is a land where you have larger numbers – so citing the paucity of land is illogical.

Setting a body on logs is not carrying or shifting it to the grave.

If you used the term without knowledge, meaning no offence, then own up and close the matter. The more you insist on giving explanations on Hindus being buried, the more my belief on what was intended strengthens.

Juana - I honestly feel you over-reacted. When, for example, we use the phrase 'from the cradle to the grave', we are not literally taking the word grave to mean a grave. It simply means the end of life. Similarly, I doubt K Mohan was literally talking about a grave. Please try to understand what K Mohan was trying to convey & view it in the context of what is being conveyed.

K Mohan - It was not nice to say that Juana is raking up a controversy and doing so for points. Try to understand from her point of view. She got offended by your thread and was protesting about it by airing her opinion from her view point. I see nothing wrong in standing up against a thread when one feels offended. It can hardly be called a controversy. Nor has Juana ever, even once, given a response merely for the heck of it just to gain points. That is really a ridiculous thing to say & not in good taste.

Sun - Your statement of lack of knowledge & not having good understanding was also in bad taste. Juana has not given responses due to lack of knowledge. She has given her views against the way the topic was conveyed and simply feels it could have been conveyed in a general manner since she was offended by the statement made.

About the thread topic itself - I think it is a bit absurd. It is far more important not to be "bothersome" (as you call it) during one's life time. One should live a life with certain good values and yes, it is necessary to take care of one's health too. Even then, sometimes, things go awry and one depends on others to be taken care of. Some things one cannot really control. Farid has pointed this out in his response.

I gently request everyone once again not to throw personal hits at members. If a member gets offended by something, then just try to convey more clearly what you meant & we can discuss it in an amicable manner to sort out the misunderstanding the way you would sort it out with your friends. Otherwise what happens is that the member gets even more offended & hurt too at the insinuations. Avoid please.

Keep smiling...one day life will get tired of upsetting you.

Vandana,

English is a language which we have adopted. We are not native speakers of the language. The phrase that you mention is used in a context; you see the English go to the grave. The phrase is used to describe their passage through life, in their language. You and I choose to use the phrase, we have no choice. So, the comparison is off-key.

I rarely voice my views on the forum and react only when something really gets to me. I took offence and I expressed what I felt. I still feel that it is malicious.

You are welcome to your opinion, I have no control over how you feel/react/think. I expressed what I felt. Please don't pronounce judgement based on how you feel about my comments, and tell me that I 'over-reacted'. I am willing to listen to how you feel about the issue, but not how you think I feel about it. You may not agree with my stance, but terming it an 'over-reaction', is well, not very comforting - let me extend the gentle reminder to you too, to not make personal remarks please – it should be a two-way street, I think!

Irrespective of religions, the carrying dead body by four is common whether it is to graveyard for setting into fire or burying. That is what there is a saying ,'for every person there should be four required'. Nowadays many arguing that van has come to carry dead body, but there also four is required to carry the same to the van and alight from the van to the spot. However the topic raised by mohan sir, is novel as he is thinking the pain of unknown four which reveals his mankind.

• Sign In to post your comments