You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Movies

Indian intelligentsia is either silent on or disapprove 'Bahubali' series. Why?

They go ga-ga over Mughal-e-Azam. They talk non-stop about Pakeezah. They can't stop discussing Umrao Jaan. But Bahubali or Bahubali-2? They remain silent. Some of them diasapprove. They call the story unreal. They tell that these films talk about the Brahmin-Khshatriya upper-caste domination in ancient India! They desperately try to find faults of these two Bahubali series films.

But why? When they can praise unrealistic films like Mughal-e-Azam or badly made film Pakeezah, why they silently or violently oppose Bahubali series films? Is there any plausible answer?
    No. I don't find any reason for their silent or violent opposition of Bahubali series.
    Generally in India the movies from South India are given a step motherly treatment. Even in National awards and recognition also they are treated differently. Basically the film is made by Telugu people and all the artists and technicians are from South India only. The movie has created history in all areas. All audience appreciated the movie. So the so called Intelligentsia is not able to openly criticize the movie . That is why they are silent.

drrao
    always confident

Dr. Rao: I humbly disagree. The reason of their disapproval is totally different.
    Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

I have not seen either version of Bahubali, so cannot comment on it. I have seen the three other movies that you mention, many years ago and feel they were well made. My knowledge is that of a layperson, I speak from the entertainment value of the movies. I have not studied cinema so cannot comment on the nitty-gritties that define good and bad cinema.

But…
    Why do you question the intelligentsia (on the forum)? Who is this intelligentsia? Can people, whoever they may be, not have an opinion different from yours?

Is it necessary to make comparisons to make your point? Does other cinema have to be ridiculed to make a point? It sparks of such negativity. I can sense the loathing.

Have an opinion, say what needs to be said, but tirades that attack others makes the ISC forum a very bitter place.

I hope there are others here who agree with me on this.

Underestimate me...that'll be fun!

1. I am simply astounded by the technical brilliance of Bahubali. I have seen it very recently (last Sunday). I have not yet seen the second part.
    2. Anyone, who watches movies carefully, will admit that Pakeezah was a badly-made film by Kamal Amrohi which took almost 10 years to be completed. The film lost its cohesiveness, it was very badly edited and unusually prolonged. If opportunity comes, I will definitely discuss other two so-called classics.
    3. I humbly request Ms. Juana to go through a particular article, the link of which is given below. As my laptop is betraying, I can't write further.
    Link:- http://www.opindia.com/2017/05/why-the-so-called-liberals-of-india-hate-bahubali-the-movie-so-much/

Duplicate.

For that matter any movie which is made on such a grand scale must be appreciated for its technical excellence and inclusive performance of every character and Director Rajamouli must be credited for bringing such a magnum opus to the Indian cinema. By the way a director cannot satisfy every fan or every critic. And the critics would take out loop holes any way. What we must take into account the over all acceptability and appreciation of the film which is now remade for the Chinese audience. When the film going International, we must take pride instead of criticizing for no reason.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

I asked who is the intelligentsia that you are up in arms against - you send me a link, which again talks about pseudo liberals, but fails to identify who they are or what they said. Where are the comments that irked you? Or do I take it that you got agitated based on someone else's thoughts?

I would have liked your opinion since you are so vociferous in condemning people. Is this not forming opinions based on what someone else thinks. Where are your experiences - please share those?

Also, Pakeezah is a much-acclaimed movie. It took 10-years to complete because there were problems between Meena Kumari and Kamal Amrohi - I think they separated during this period. Anyway, you can dissect the movie and all the other movies that you seemed to have very carefully selected, but will your opinion count?

I must add that I see a strong bias which has hitherto never surfaced on this platform.

I agree with Juana. The author has by now established quite well about his radical right-wing inclinations and this thread comes as no surprise. I fail to understand why religion should always be brought in as a background? I read the article which inspired or provoked the author but why draw a comparison between Mughal-e-Azam or Pakeezah? I don't think we, in this platform, need to be promoting discrimination of any kind. Each of us, as citizens of India, have the right to express our opinion but it should not be at the cost of hurting others sentiments. Tolerance is still a live and debated topic in India due to reasons that are well known. If people who support peaceful co-existence or exhibit a higher degree of tolerance are termed pseudo-liberals, I don't think it is a cause of worry; it is rather a ray of hope. Bahubali (both parts) have been widely accepted all over India and even abroad, irrespective of religion, caste or creed and that itself shows that majority of the people enjoyed the film as a creative product. Those who crave for criticism will continue to find out reasons to do so because they have only one aim!
    "To be proud of knowledge is to be blind with light" - Benjamin Franklin

An intellectual review of Bahubali (first part): http://movies.ndtv.com/movie-reviews/baahubali-movie-review-1150
    Where did it appear?

Further links will follow.

I am out of this discussion which has turned into a 'link sharing' debacle – I say so because the links lead to nothing. Honestly, I do not want to be part of this whole new exercise, which leads to zilch. I do not have the time to indulge in this fruitless effort.

I am unsubscribing from this thread.

Please check the forum posting guidelines - are so many links allowed?

So what Partha at #599541? How do you intent to connect it with the content of your thread? Bahubali is after all a fantasy and is not claimed to be a part of our history or mythology. I found the review under reference to be quite fair and impartial. The success of the film more or less need to be credited to the technicians behind the VFX effects. I am not undermining the efforts or capability of director Rajamouli who has put everything in place and has crafted the final outcome but is it all about film making? Let us not deviate from your basic query Partha; justify your doubt instead of trying to bank on other related contents in the web.
    "To be proud of knowledge is to be blind with light" - Benjamin Franklin

I'm sorry Partha, I absolutely hated Bahubali series. Well, I'm a man of plot and I found the same old routine revenge story. There's nothing new about the story. If you are astounded by graphics, I can give you that. It was definitely visually amusing. But that's only applicable for it's contemporary Indian movies. .There are Hollywood and Japanese movies which offered better graphical quality. I think Bahubali was over-rated and over-hyped.
    And I'm so sorry to tell this, but Bahubali should never be compared with Historical-fiction classics. For me, Bahubali just isn't right there.

The stronger a light shines the darker are the shadows around it.

What I understand from the view point of the author that he was referring to the important personalities and top heroes of the Bollywood as the intelligentsia and not those from ISC. We have not seen the 'Khans' reacting about the success of Bahubali-2 and we find some people endorsing the success of 'Dangal' in China. One should not compare the two movies as both have their own credentials and the latter has delivered a good message to the society as to how to bring up the daughters in a better way while the former gets the credit of the technical aspects which can be compared with that of the so called Hollywood.

By the way, why don't you go through this review on Bahjubali-2 by one of our own intelligent contributors of ISC.

Regards,
    Jagdish

I have read the review of Ms. Vandana. Her review is much more balanced than the reviews of the film by the top-level intelligentsia of the country.

• Sign In to post your comments