You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Improve Your English

Difference between a page, a sheet, a leaf, a folio - when are these used?

Ever wondered about the usage of the words page, sheet, leaf and folio? Get a free English lesson here.

A page in a magazine.
    A sheet of paper.
    A leaf turned over.
    A folio - ??

With reference to books, we talk about pages. We may even say that we turned over the leaf of a book to read the next chapter. We could say that we replaced one sheet of paper in a sheaf of pages with a fresh sheet.

When is the word folio used with regard to books or paper in general, any idea?
    When a sheet of paper is folded into two halves, it will have four pages and two leaves. This folded paper of having two leaves is called folio. Generally when a book is printed they will print four pages on a sheet of paper by folding it in to two halves and will be given for proof reading. A folio will contain one sheet, two leaves and four pages. Generally these folios will be numbered as leaves and printed numbers on only one side.
    drrao
    always confident

I think, a collection of books is a folio. Shakespeare's folio, A manuscript folio etc.

Though I may not be right but I take chance to answer the question. Folio can be referred to the ledger columns especially in accounting terms of banking and other big account maintenance. So we generally call it as ledger folio.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Dr. Srinivas is right."This is single folded sheet of paper of having two leaves is called folio. Generally when a book is printed they will print four pages on a sheet of paper ".
    The greatest wealth in this world is mental peace and good health.

One meaning of folio is already explained by members that it pertains to the folding of a printed sheet in two leafs during printing of a book.
    Another less common meaning is - a book printed in 15 inch size.
    Normally books are having 8-10 inch size so the folio size is quite big. Few books are printed in folio size.

Knowledge is power.

• Sign In to post your comments