You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: IndiaStudyChannel.com

An honest query about the forum guidelines

Off late a new trend (not new really, it was in practice some time back) is seen on the forum. The trend of repeating the title as the opening line in the description. Is this allowed and is this fine?

I am certain that it is not allowed in the resource section. I recently failed to remove the title from the main article after I copied it into the title (I usually cut and paste, this time I guess I had copied it) and my article was pushed into pending for revision.

Since the said trend is being carried on in the forum, unchecked, for over a week now, is it fine - is it allowed? Can everyone begin doing this?
    Juana,

I will confirm it directly with the Webmasters, whether we should curb this practice or let it be, since they do give some leeway to members in the forum.

Keep smiling...one day life will get tired of upsetting you.

Thanks, Vandana,

It doesn't look very neat, is what I think. Imagine, if there is no restriction and everyone begins doing it.

"A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak" - Michael Garrett Marino

There are many rules and regulations and guiding points for articles. It is fine for articles. All those rules can't be made applicable in forum section also. Forum section is entirely different. Many threads go unnoticed by many people. If it becomes more difficult by putting new rules and regulations, the activity here may come down. This is my personal feelings. However Editors are the final decision makers. We will follow what ever is decided.
    drrao
    always confident

I do not think a stop on this kind of practice will affect the forum adversely. Those who want to post will continue to do so.
    "A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak" - Michael Garrett Marino

Copy pasting title as the opening sentence in the content is not an encouraged practice unless there are valid reasons to do so.

People involved in small violations are not always caught unless they are celebrities who pull the attention of everyone. Consider the example of throwing trash on the road. Many people do such things and they are not really punished. But if a celebrity chooses to do so, I am sure it will become a NEWS!

regards,
    Tony John
    Webmaster - IndiaStudyChannel.com

Some times the title given has to be stressed in the contents too and that will give the greater attention for the reader or the member to read further and respond. If the ISC feels that the practice must be stopped then every has to obey.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Sometimes, I agree with that and so does the Webmaster. But, if it is all the time, which is what has been happening, then it surely is not a good practice.

I do no know what you are discussing about. Anything that comes to our mind, we make it as a post to discuss. We are not bothered about the previous thread titles.
    We should not blame the members. If a child is born, it becomes a father or mother to give birth to another child. So, don't worry about the threads taking birth at ISC. Please be liberal to permit the posts in the Web world.

No life without Sun

Yes, it is beyond your understanding. I fully agree.

Anyway, the concerned understood and responded. That is what matters. The matter stands resolved.

"People involved in small violations are not always caught unless they are celebrities who pull the attention of everyone." I think WM could have been more clear and specific rather than vague and causing further doubts.
    Let the answer be of clarifying rather than creating more vagueness.

If repeating title in the thread message is not allowed due to certain reasons like search engine parameters etc, then let that be clearly known to members so that they will know the seriousness and be alert not to make such mistakes. Not all are experts in these matters. Let this be learning point.

If the matter referred is to involves only two members and a chat ensuing between them and matter solved just by intervention of editor or WM then why it should come as a forum thread? Direct message could have been the right way.

It is weird that you question this thread. Your reasons are not understood. Please note that there is provision for raising such threads in the forum. It is not violating any rule. Your objection is unnecessary and uncalled for.

You are mistaken; the matter does not involve two people. What was questioned was happening right under our noses. It could have everyone on the forum practising the same thing. Did you notice it and choose to remain silent? SEO or not, did it not raise a doubt in your mind? I wonder what stopped you from initiating a chat regarding this issue.

Right way or wrong way - I have the ability to make my choices.

Editors may please lock this thread.

"It is weird that you question this thread"- No it is not weird ,it is decent, civil and in normally wordeds. It was a response by another forum member to a thread in forum. It is many times clarified even by the thread author that once a thread comes in the forum it is open to discussion. There may be points which disputes the author's view. Then, that is called debate and discussion.

"Your reasons are not understood. ". I will not comment the way the author commented in the post 600177 about understanding. I also simply agree.

"Please note that there is provision for raising such threads in the forum"- I fully agree and respect that. The reciprocal also has to be agreed, that there is provision to respond and discuss.
    "Your objection is unnecessary and uncalled for."-Not everyone would voluntarily call for objections .My response was not a direct repudiation of the thread content. It arose only because of thread author's follow up response 600177. That response questions the freedom and right of another member for raising a response and saying that the thread is not properly understood. The subsequent sentence "Anyway, the concerned understood and responded. That is what matters" establishes that the thread was a purely one to one matter. Why I say so is 'concerned understood' came only after post 600159. So it is evident that the thread targets and aims only at the author of the post 600159. Is not then a matter between ONLY two people where the intervention of ME/WM is sought? Is it not amounting to personal targeting? The answer of WM also creates vagueness and it also points to certain deviations known to the ISC establishment. Whenit says celebrities, does it mean the author of 600159? Such doubts arise.
    "It could have everyone on the forum practising the same thing. Did you notice it and choose to remain silent? "- Here there is a contradiction. If it is suspected that 'everyone practising' then 'everyone' also can participate in the discussion. The title of the thread itself is "....query about the forum guidelines".. The guidelines are for everyone. So any other member cal also jin the discussion and place his or her doubts and concerns.
    "I wonder what stopped you from initiating a chat regarding this issue.

Right way or wrong way - I have the ability to make my choices"- The last part of the quoted part itself answers the first part question. Each one has the freedom to choose. Freedom and rights are not monopoly of one.

One can claim to be super intelligent. But to ridicule fellow being as 'beyond your understanding' or some such similar meaning words is outright feeling of showing supremacy and feeling of dominance. That cannot be accepted. Right to understand things is there even for morons, albeit it may come a bit slower.

I would simply add and leave saying that the author of this thread is impolite and rude with a feeling of supremacy at ISC. Very bad, I must say and others would agree.
    No life without Sun

Yes, I find it weird that you pointed the futility of this thread, suggesting that I should have taken to messaging. It would have been decent had you reacted to the issue that was raised, instead of telling me what I should have done. You killed the discussion right there, with your opinion – even if you go on to state "…there is provision to respond and discuss". You did not bring in a debate or discussion, you nit-picked.

My response in 600177 was apt, I did not have to agree with the author and go on a tangent about who is born and who becomes a father. I say it again; I find it weird that you respond in this critical manner. The response that incited you did not question the freedom or the right of another member. Also, note, the member did not mention not understanding the thread – instead what was mentioned was "I do no know what you are discussing about." Who would offer advice when they do not know what is being discussed? I would just brush away such advice, which is what I did.

Yes, the intervention of the admin was sought, before the practice went viral. It wasn't a matter between ONLY two people, as you think. It concerned the site. I raised a question about the forum guidelines – and in your own words "…guidelines are for everyone." You, me, XYZ - you can think of it as targeting, that is your perspective.

You keep mentioning 'discussion'. Your participation in this thread was not questioned – what was questioned was your comment that "Direct message could have been the right way". Argue with me on the point I raised. You brought in a diversion and now rant about your privilege of a discussion. You did not initiate a discussion – you chose to act as an unofficial editor, suggesting where the thread should have been posted. No guideline was broken in posting this thread.

"Each one has the freedom to choose. Freedom and rights are not monopoly of one." Such brilliance – I wish it had surfaced earlier.

Everyone,

From now on, please just follow the Webmaster's instruction, namely "Copy pasting title as the opening sentence in the content is not an encouraged practice unless there are valid reasons to do so."

Also, can we have less rancour and more amicable discussions please.

Keep smiling...one day life will get tired of upsetting you.

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.