You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Oh my God ! So many deduction of points, deletion of threads, zero points. Are we writing exams ?

When you open the the ISC first page right now, you will find so many threads locked, members given lesser points, some threads deleted, some members punished with negative points. All these make me the feeling that I am writing exam on the level of NEET where there is negative marking for wrong answers. Common editors, be liberal. We are not here to waste time and you think that our threads are useless. You were allowing the threads to get famous and suddenly take actions as if some invigilation are going to happen. Lots of dissent among the members is brewing and slowly taking away the interest too. Create confidence in us. It is in your hands.
    The title of your thread prompted me to go into the details. I smiled a while for the comparison with NEET examination. Being a senior most member of the site, you are well aware of the reasons for the negative marking, deletion of responses and locking of threads by the editors. Anyway, your suggestion to be liberal to generate interest among the members is noted and would be put up in the Editors' group for consideration.
    Regards,
    Jagdish

Wow that was the soothing response from the seasoned editor Jagdish. This is what I expected. Cordial responses would bring us much closer.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

I am not worried that our threads or locked or rejected due to various reasons as per the rules and regulations of the site. I feel every human being is a student through out his life. Learning is a continuous process. In this learning process we may be doing some mistakes. These are to be corrected by the Editors of the site. So your request to Editors to be liberal is a good gesture from your side. As a senior member of the site you request to the Editors on behalf of all the members shows your concern for the juniors. Thank you very much for the same. What else the editors except a request from senior most member. I think they will consider.
    drrao
    always confident

I smiled too, at the comparison. Usually, this kind of wit comes from Sun. Nice to discover that you have a funny streak too, Mohan.

Come on editors be liberal - I like that phrase. My latest interaction with the Managing Editor indicates that the liberalisation process has already begun. Members can respond according to their understanding - but there are still a few bumps, your understanding must fit like a glove with the understanding of the editors.

A complicated process, I think.

I thought I had understood how it works, only to discover I have not! You have been here, more regular than most, and you still can't get your way around the whole process. I would think it is more difficult than NEET.

"A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak" - Michael Garrett Marino

The author being one of the senior members here, I am sure that his call to the editors to be liberal will be considered in a positive manner, provided, members act responsibly. The author very well know the reasons behind the rejections, deletions and reductions and hope he will take the reasons into account while posting contents. Editors do give sufficient time to newbies and do alert experienced members and it is for them, as Dr Rao has said, to understand the points and to ensure that the mistakes are not repeated. I say this while agreeing that Editors may also commit errors but we do correct ourselves whenever such an error is brought to our notice by any quarter.

And Mohan, your title is indeed attractive but why the comparison with NEET?

Juana, I hope your point at #600377, about editors being liberal, is for those who have not read your response on the same issue in another thread.

'Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance'- Confucius

Let the editors do their job as per the ISC rules. Why beg the editors to be liberal and show mercy to the ISC members? Through the responses given by few editors, it is evident that the editors are willingly and knowingly deleting, locking and awarding less points to the right posts. Without members, ISC cannot survive. Let editors have their ball at ISC. We all know that ISC has no control over the editors. Even if an editor say that a hare has three legs, the ME would support it and assure its three legs. Let us not beg the editors, Mr. Mohan.
    No life without Sun

Mr Sun, only two editors have responded to this thread as of now. Though your response is not different from what you have been stating all along whenever a thread against/ criticizing editors/ editorial decisions have been posted, I would request you to elucidate your conclusion since you have made a specific reference to the responses by editors in this thread. Does the responses by editors say anything that you have stated to be their's?

Saji,
    I too an affected member who received minus points for my response during the last 24 hours. Mohan begged the editors to be liberal. I requested Mohan not to beg the editors. Why a discussion among the editors to be liberal? Be what you are, and do what you have been told to do. That's all. An editor should be like a bamboo, not like a reed.

No life without Sun

Saji,

My interaction with the Managing Editor happened only today, just a few hours back. I was completely flummoxed by her sudden, very liberal views. But, like I said, the liberalisation comes with a caveat, members have to find the glove that matches, and then, like Sun mentioned, a hare will have three legs. It is all about being in sync with those who run the show. It is quite a fairy tale in the making - you know the 'they lived happily ever after...' kind. But, fairy tales are not real, are they?

Srinivasa Rao sets a great example. But, do you think other members will take a cue from him? I am not good at glib talk, so I will not be able to survive this 'politically correct' race. For me, it is important to voice my views and survive with dignity.

Also, Editors, I should think, do not expect members to change who they are. Each member has a personality, and I would like them to retain that. If all of us begin 'yes mastering' then you would have a pack of marionettes here. Not free thinking people, who have an opinion.

"A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak" - Michael Garrett Marino

Sun I am not begging the editors here. They must do the introspection in right perspective. That was my intention.
    K Mohan

Saji,

I do not know which response of mine you refer to, nor which members you think have not read my response. All interactions between you and me and the others have been in the open forum, for all to see.

Mr. Mohan,
    The phrase " Common editors, Be liberal". It is confusing the reader.

Come on Mohan! It is high time to learn the "Come on" and the "common."

No life without Sun

Our editors and members are well trained have the experience to read it right even we write wrong. That is the greatness of this site.
    K Mohan

No Mogun,
    Our editors and members are great to understand your mistakes. But do you think it better to continue with your common yesterday, today and every day? It is time to change and correct yourself to come out of the common error.

@ We are here in a reputed educational portal to teach good English and learn good English, not any misunderstanding substandard English.

No life without Sun

I seriously feel that Members should not beg before the Editors. Editors allot points/delete posts/punish with negative points according to their level of understanding. Let them do their job as per their individual ability and preference.
    Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

This thread is a better example to reflect as to how the deviation takes place. The author of the thread neither begged for liberty nor the editors have shown their supremacy. It was a fervent appeal from a senior member ranking at No.3 and a gentle response from the editors in a reciprocate manner. But what happened? See how the things have tilted and the discussion has become an online word game to pass their time for someone.

The author raised the issue with courtesy stating that members may lose interest if their responses are deleted or negative marks are given or threads are locked. I am afraid the regular members may also slowly drive away from this forum, if the discussions of such nature as in this thread and other threads continue to happen. We have history of some good contributors who left the site because of the abusive nature of someone and it appears they have not changed yet. We all have to seriously think of it and work for the betterment of this forum.

Regards,
    Jagdish

Yes Jagdish you got me right. A serious thinking including bringing the webmaster to this discussion would be fruitful and bring out a permanent policy so that we may not feel like dejected.
    K Mohan

Any thread posted should be read and enjoyed. A thread should be of controversial to discuss with interest. Many issues can be discussed under one umbrella. When I read this thread, I felt Mr Mogun was begging the Editors to be liberal. And the responses from Editors are like showing mercy to his request.
    No life without Sun

Sun take this as the Whistle blower thread from my side and the editors has noted what I said.
    K Mohan

Jagdish,

There are a few points that I want to make, in response to your post #600456.

"…a gentle response from the editors in a reciprocate manner." You can say that for yourself, but not on behalf of the response posted in #600380. The response "…for those who have not read your response on the same issue…" is deviating. I made a comment, how do you justify the remark that was addressed to me? I can see how things get tilted (in your own words).

The point raised in your second paragraph has been brought up many times – the point about members having to leave because of the abusive nature of someone. I have openly condoned the abusive nature of that someone. But, the point I want to bring out here is that if members have to leave the site because of one particular member then who is to be blamed?

What did ISC do to restore the confidence of the members who were aggrieved? Why was the abusive member's account not banned? I would have expected ISC to stand up in support of the members who were targeted and that a secure environment was provided to them so that they do not leave. I would think it better to let go of someone who abuses others in foul language, rather than letting a good contributor go. Suspending the account of a member for a short period has no effect because no one knows of it – it is made to appear that the member is taking a self-decided hiatus. What I am trying to say here is that you should not have allowed a member to leave. The protection of her and every other member's dignity is in your hands. So, either the member left on her own or you didn't do enough to stop her from leaving.

Juana, my response at #600380 was in response to your response at #600377. I responded because I could make out why the phrase "come on editors be liberal' was particularly noted by you. If you say that an editor should keep out even when a member raises a point that can be addressed only by a member of the editorial team, fine! Let the ball roll on!

Saji,

Should I applaud your extraordinary abilities? You were able to 'make out why' I made mention of one phrase – you are extraordinarily perceptive, at decoding messages and going into hypotheses. Well, I appreciate your ability to read what is going on in my mind; I would doubly appreciate if you allow me the freedom to decode what goes on in yours, as well.

However, I'll stick to the facts –

The thread in mention is posted under miscellaneous. I can only connect issues with lessons learned in the past. The entire discussion of one of my posts was watered down and the 'category' I chose to post my question, became the bone of contention. Similarly, this thread is not addressed solely to the editors. I am reading the category and it tells me I can post my response.

Also, don't twist my words and exaggerate my comment. I questioned your reason to mention members who had not read my response. What were you insinuating? I see no reason to mention discussions that are available in the forum, in the manner that you did.

You may be the editor, for whatever abilities, but don't undermine the intelligence of others. Please maintain the dignity of your position and use your words as carefully as you expect others to. Set an example, because it is you who assume the mantle.

"If you say that an editor should keep out even when a member raises a point that can be addressed only by a member of the editorial team, fine!" Talk of shoving words into my mouth! Please do not let your imagination run so deep that you derive meanings that were never intended. Respond responsibly, I think this should apply to you as well.

Hi everyone,I am a new member to this site. Thank you so much Mohan sir for raising this topic. Even I too have many doubts regarding negative markings and abrupt deletion of posts. I want to know on what basis are the points being calculated and how are marks being reduced to minus points. Suppose, if one topic is given, I am sure everyone one of us will browse in the net and take some ideas or points from it. Even I too have done the same thing in one topic " Self-Confidence is a tool to the success". I even got 5 points for that topic but soon my post got deleted within in 2 days from Admin and got negative marking.
    Definitely, negative marking and deleting post will impact on our future performance and will even get disappointed. I know this is one of the best platform to learn many new skills, but I think we all should get to know how the marks are being reduced.

Anusha,
    Please go through the FAQ and posting guidelines for various sections being a new member. The last para of your response #600605 says you are disappointed because of negative marking and deletion. If you follow the guidelines, there won't be scope for deletion and negative marking. When copied content is posted, as it happens in many cases of newbies due to lack of idea about the site requirement, it would be straight way deleted. When irrelevant responses are posted or content abusing/heckling other members' comments would attract negative marking. Don't worry, just go through the guidelines and our senior members' posts in various categories and you would easily understand how to contribute here.

Regards,
    Jagdish

• Sign In to post your comments