You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Cricket

After 32 years, two countries facing each other in final

How many of us remember the day (and night) of Melbourne? It was Benson & Hedges Trophy final. India and Pakistan faced each other. India under the able leadership of Gavaskar had earlier defeated Miandad-led Pakistan by 6 wickets in the group stage. Ultimately both the teams reached the final.

The final was played at Melbourne on 3rd March, 1985. It was a Sunday. Pakistan scored 176 for 9 due to great bowling performance of Kapil, Binny, Shastri and Shivaramkrishnan. India easily surpassed the target by losing only 2 wickets. Shrikant was Man of the Match. Ravi Shastri was declared Man of the Tournament and he received an Audi 100 car.

After another 32 years India and Pakistan are facing each other in the final of an International Tournament. Again the match is being played on Sunday. Again India defeated Pakistan in the group stage.

So, we must pray that the result of the final will be the same as happened in Melbourne 32 years ago.
    What I have never understood is why an India-Pakistan match is not taken as a game but as a kind of war by the fans! They are, after all, sports persons competing in a tournament.

By the way, the two neighbours are also meeting in the semi-finals of the Hockey World League (HWL), which is also being played in England (in London.)

Keep smiling...one day life will get tired of upsetting you.

Yes after 32 years Indian cricket fans are being treated for a virtual warn against Pakistan and this time Indian team well poised in batting, bowling, wicket keeping and fielding too. Our boys are confident as Pakistan has been bundled out in league match and thus they are eagerly waiting for the Pakistan defeat in finals. Every Indian, every soldier at the Indo- Pakistan border are eagerly waiting for the match and pinning heavily on India. The betting is also in favor of India and bookies are over enthusiastic. One thing is sure , for Indians it is not just a sport but a vengeance of other sort.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

I don't member the teams, venue and the result of the match. But I still remember the Audi car positioned in the stadium. OMG, 32 years memory.
    No life without Sun ¤

I still remember Indian players were circling the ground in that car and the supporters were celeb.rating

That memory will surely come back tonight.

Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

Thank you for making us to remember the great tournament and taking us back to the college days. We are new to colour TVs at that time and very punctual to get up early in the morning to see the match live and the way in which the matches were telecasted by the Karry -Packer duo was awesome. Gavaskar perhaps has shown his perfect leadership during the series for the first time, though he was my favourite player. A great final and good partnership between Srikant and Sastry, aslo Vengsarkar and Sastry.
    Regards,
    Jagdish

Ms. Vandana (#600968): This rivalry was started by Pakistan. Like with Bangladesh during 2000, India was instrumental to get test status for Pakistan in 1951-52. But from the very first series itself, Pakistanis played many dirty tricks to defeat India. At that time I was not born, I read this. But as a very young boy I watched 1978 series and 1982 series and I vividly remember what happened with India in 1978 series and 1982 series both played in Pakistan. I also remember what used to happen at Sharjah during the 80s. I am not going to mention these painful and disgusting events now.

Thanks for reminding us the hockey semifinal between India-Pakistan at WHL. Indian hockey team has been on the ascending curve and during the last few years, it is regularly beating Pakistan. Hope, this time also, the tradition of success will continue.

Thank you Mr.Partha, from bringing back the memories of that big match where India won convincingly. I remember Mr.Sastry won Audi car for man of the series.

Today also India won the toss and elected to field. Chances of India winning the match are pretty high,

Always the match between these two subcontinent countries is played with lot of emotion. There is no second opinion about the match will be win by India only.

drrao
    always confident

Having won the toss, Kohli should have opted to bat so that they could score between 250-300. There would be tremendous pressure to chase if the score exceeds 250 since this is a match between two arch rivals. Anyway a decision was taken, let us hop[e for the best.
    Regards,
    Jagdish

India under under Kohli is always an excellent chaser. The record for last 3 years evidently proves it.

PAK 300/4 (45.2 Ovs) CRR: 6.62. It seems they would fix the target of 350 and our boys wont chase it. The game seems to be in the firm hand of Pakistan. My BP is raising.
    K Mohan

We have to score only 339 @6.78 per over. Our batsmen can definitely do it. Come on, India! The best wishes of 120 crores people are with you.

The final score on the Board for Pakistan is 338 at 6.76 runs per over. What a sparkling display! Let's see the men in blue take on this challenging total with grit and determination.
    Keep smiling...one day life will get tired of upsetting you.

That is what exactly I have predicted when India chose to field after winning the toss. A blunder decision by the Captain and the coach and India paid for it by losing the match by 180 runs.
    Regards,
    Jagdish

Crackers are being burst in the adjacent slum. Celebration begins.

Unbelievable…!
    Congrats to Pakistani Team for beating World's best team!

Pakistan Won it convincingly and now the Indians, please take Cricket Lightly winning in Cricket is not at all achievement or It is not at all to show our growth or improvement or progress for the world there are many ways or stages to show piece our greatness for the World.Patriotism never yields anything in history and also at present... So come to reality and check the reality.....
    A blunt knife or rusted knife can't be useful for anything just for the sake we call it as the knife similar to PayTM series or Sachin or Virat records.

However, Indian hockey team has provided reason to cheer. India defeated Pakistan 7-1 in the Hockey World League semifinal.

Congrats! Indian hockey team. The hockey players have made us proud.

I am dejected totally. Right from the beginning our boys seems to have given up. The way they gifted runs to the Pakistan front batsman shows that Indian players made their mind to loose this game. Why our players failed to gauge the fact that so many Indian fans are watching this game with so much expectations and they played the worst game. And how come the captain Virat gets out so easily. There was a news in the morning that heavy betting were in favor of Pakistan and now the bad performance of our team creates doubts in every mind that the match has been fixed as 2000 crore betting amount was involved.
    K Mohan

It is very bad that India lost the match very badly. They have not even put any fight. They succumbed very easily. So after 32 years Pakistan has taken the revenge by winning the trophy. There was a lot of difference in the performance of two teams when compared to their match in preliminary round where India won.
    The two main reasons India lost is electing to field after winning the toss and playing Ashwin in the final XI of the team. These two decisions of Captain made India to lose, I feel. Only one bowler and one batsman gave some good performance. All others failed miserably in this match.
    Any other reasons for this loss?

drrao
    always confident

This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.