You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Music

Listening to the melodious songs of the illustrious son of the illustrious father on his birthday

His father brought Bengal's sweet and soulful Bhatiali and Bhawaiya songs into the arena of Bombay Hindi films. His father introduced soulful Bengali tune to the Hindi film enthusiasts. Very few people know that his mother also sang some meorable songs during her youth. The illustrious son of the illustrious father was brought up in Bombay (now Mumbai), but never lost touch with the fertile soil of Bengal.

This able and genius son efficiently mixed Bengali music with Western tunes. He produced one after another blockbuster during late sixties and early seventies. Not only that, he utilised his different and extra-ordinary voice very successfully. Who can forget "Mehbooba Mehbooba' sung by him? Which Bengali can forget "Mone pore Rubi Roy", the tune of which was later utilised in "Meri bheegi bheegi si" sung by Kishor Kumar? Even during his lean period, he produced soulful music for 'Ijazat' in 1987. He came back to limelight just before his death in "1942: A Love Story". The songs of the film have become a milestone in Hindi film music. Who can forget his excellent musical rapport with his great wife, Asha Bhonsle?

On his 78th birthday, I am listening to his Bengali and Hindi songs.

My heartfelt respect to R.D. Burman (Pancham-da) on his 78th birthday!
    I love S D Burman's soulful voice and respect him for his music. Though my knowledge of his work is limited to Hindi cinema.

R D Burman had a unique voice, and he was quite popular in his time. But, this was also a period where the word plagiarism was unheard of. Indian music lovers had not been introduced to Western popular music, so could not tell copied music from the original. Is it not true that many of Panchamda's hit tunes were copied from popular Western songs?

Underestimate me...that'll be fun!

'Mehbooba O Mehbooba' was copied from Demis Roussos's – 'Say you love me'. You can check it on YouTube. And, yes, the English version was already popular before the Indian song made it big.

I can list many more songs, tunes of which were lifted from English songs.

Underestimate me...that'll be fun!

Wow what a way to introduce the greatness of Panchanda through this thread and remembering on his 78 th birthday is the great feeling. Who can forget his numerous scores in Hindi which were instant hit with Asha Bhosle. Among his best were Rhim Jhim gire , Churaliya ne , Bada natkat hai krishn kanniah ka karay yashodha maiya. Such songs are ever green and even today Vividh Bharathi shall play them. I really like Rajesh Khanna -Mumtaz starer Jai Jai Shiv shanker which was best among best. And those who cannot get the sleep they should listen to Karvatein badalthe rahen saari raath ham, aap ki kasam.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

R. D. Burman the only son of S D Burman is a music director and famous singer. He composed for more than 300 Hindi films . Burman has done many famous works with his wife Asha Bhosle . He produced many famous singers. The great singer Lata Mangeshkar also sung many songs under his music direction.. He is a role model for many music directors, Even today also many of his songs are very popular. Remembering him on his 78th birthday is very nice on the part of Mr. Partha.
    drrao
    always confident

Remembering R D Burman in such a knowledgeable and subtle way has touched my heart. Who can forget the melodious music by him in so many films? Regarding the copying of music from one language to another, it is an age old practice and it is very difficult to find out who is the source and who is copying. This is very well true for the film stories also.

One interesting thing is that it is not necessary that a particular tune copied from one language to another will be super hit in the latter. It depends upon the ingenuity of the music director and lyric writer to give it a life. I remember one example of a tune of english movie which was so popular world vide and it was encountered by us in many marriage music bands in India but when it was adopted in a hindi film the song ( Rim jhim rim jhim rim jhim moti ke dane ...) did not become popular and died in the background. It may look strange but is true. Success of a copied song tune also requires a great deal of efforts to make it popular in other language.

I was going through a report in net where a list of english movies was mentioned in which the plots were taken from hindi films and in the same report there was another list showing the hindi films based on english plots. So in film industry it is very common that plots are to be woven around same stem with different threads and songs are to be composed with different lyrics around same tune.

Anyway I also take this opportunity given me through this thread to remember him on his 78th birthday. I consider that he was a legend in Indian music world.

Knowledge is power.

This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.