You must Sign In to post a response.
This thread has won a Special Prize in the TOW contest for the week 25th June to 01st July '17 on the topic 'Fashion'.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

When the dictates of fashion describe us

Fashion dictates us. Yes, all of us. Even the unfashionable, who we think do not follow fashion, are actually driven by it. How could that be possible, you ask?

Read on…

Your grandfather in his white kurta pyjama, not fashionable you think – well think again.

Your grandmother in a 9-yard sari, unfashionable you say, well perhaps not.

Your dad, dressed in a half-sleeved shirt, terry-cotton pants and sandals – boring, well, not quite.

Your mum, with a bindi adorning her forehead, bangles on her wrist, the sari pallav tucked into her waist, ordinary you might feel - not really so.

They're fashionable, in their own unique way. Each one follows a trend and makes it a style statement. Fashion, after all, is a trend. While you and I follow trends, these men and women make their own fashion statements. Now that is what real fashion is.

Your father's probably most comfortable in what he wears. He must look in the mirror and see a dashing reflection. He perhaps doesn't doubt his looks or style. And he won't trade his clothes for a tee-shirt and a pair of jeans – would he? He is fashionable, as he is.

Your mother's an image of perfection. Her 'bindi' centred perfectly on her forehead. Her smoothened hair tied into a neat bun. She makes a style statement with a trend passed down the ages. The nose pin, the bangles, the toe rings symbolise traditions, but they are fashionable adornments too.

The same goes for your grandparents – the 'kurta pyjama and the nine-yard sari, is their trendy and chic, style statement.

Think about it. Would any of the people listed above be caught wearing anything other than what they wear! They follow a trend, a fashion. The same way you follow fashion. The only difference being, they let their heart lead, while you follow others.

My entry for the Thread of the Week – Fashion
    Nice to see a good thoughtful response to the tow topic. The way our grand parents and elders used to dress especially during the festivals and occasions itself a fashion statement. Not every one would be comfortable with nine yards sari but I bet it brings added charm and beauty to a woman on nine yards sari. Like wise a Panchagajam worn by elders which is also 9 yards, it gives the respect look. Here what I am trying to say that when our parents are following the legacy of their elders, why our children are hesitating and want to stick to new fashion attires which are sometimes giving chance for others to comment. Should we wear such clothes for others to comment or appreciate ? I am not against the fashion. Every girl has to look good and arresting. But that should not be at the cost of showcasing their body which is not good for her.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Fashion is not only for young . It is for all ages. In the yester years people used to follow more their parents and grandparents to respect the culture and tradition. They were not very much prone to violent change by getting things from outsiders. They used to have some fear and respect for tradition and culture.
    So as mentioned in the thread by author every one is having his own way of fashion. Even today the young girls when they attend marriages and function prefer to wear saree and ornaments. They look pretty in that appearance. But when they go to college they dress differently . But the father and mother may not change so much. In normal time also they wear normal dress may be less costly.
    The yester years fashion is an expressions of yourselves. But these days fashion is a trend. They see a actor in movie with one legside folded pant and otherside unfolded. His followers were never think how it looks to them but they follow. Change in thought process is required.

drrao
    always confident

Different age groups have different fashion statements. It is not necessary that we should copy someone for our fashion or style. We can also create new style and fashion which other can copy if they like it.

The older people have their own understanding of fashion and it is apparent from their apparels and styles.

Knowledge is power.

I do not agree with the author . The author is confusing us by mixing the culture and tradition with trend and fashion. What our ancestors(My Great grand father- Great grand mother) followed was not fashion but culture and tradition. The trend, fashion and style are the addition/modification and a shift from the culture and tradition. Since time immemorial, our ancestors were wearing Kurta Pyjama/Dhoti Mundu/Long saree etc. It was not a fashion or trend or style. Thereafter, the later generation started wearing pant and shirts/T shirts/ Chudidhar &t huppatta/ skirts/jeans etc. However, we all continue with our Kurta -Pyjama /saree culture till todate. Therefore, I would say that trend and fashion are the new word annexed to the culture and tradition. While the culture and tradition remain permanent without any change, fashion and style get changed day to day. Hence, I won't agree with the author's statement.

In olden days, ear piercing/nose piercing was a culture and tradition. Leaving the pierced ears/nose naked without any ornament had became a fashion, and we have gone back and brought back the fashion. It is a style for the youth now.

Calling our parents affectionately 'Amma- Appa-Pappa- Mathaji - Pithaji - Mamaji etc is a culture and tradition. But calling our parents 'Dad- Mom-Uncle ' is a trend/fashion now.

We should not mix culture and tradition with trend, fashion and style.

No life without Sun ¤

Fashion is not only for young ones. The aged people can also become fashionable and trendy. We can readily site the examples of Amitabh Bachhan and Karan Thapar to prove this point. They have been aging very gracefully and fashionably. Even the Khans and Akshay Kumar, the top heroes of the country, have crossed fifty. But can we explain this simple fact to the younger generation?
    Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

Fashion is nothing but a trend. It is following a set pattern, not designed by you. It is also following the dictates of a trend (generally) set by someone else. Fashion also connects us with a group of people, across the globe or across the country or state.

Anything worn in the name of tradition is fashion because traditions are a way of conforming to someone else's ideas of what is appropriate. Traditional wear sets us apart from others and places us into groups. And within that group, we stand to be fashionable, with our choice of clothes and accessories. The 'mangalsutra' has become a fashion accessory. The nine-yard sari is available in a choice of weaves, colours and designs. What is not fashionable about it?

Why does a teen dye his hair blue – it's because others in his age group are doing so. The teen wants to establish his identity within his peers, similar to what people have been doing with their choice of choosing traditional wear. They imitate a trend set by others. We may call it a tradition, but it is nothing but fashion. Fashion does not mean imitating something new. Fashion is a style statement, irrespective of what is trending on the runways in Milan or on the pages of glossy magazines. Fashion is fitting in with our group of peers.

To respond to the author of #602078 who had this to say –

"While the culture and tradition remain permanent without any change, fashion and style get changed day to day. Hence, I won't agree with the author's statement.

In olden days, ear piercing/nose piercing was a culture and tradition. Leaving the pierced ears/nose naked without any ornament had became a fashion, and we have gone back and brought back the fashion. It is a style for the youth now."

You may choose to not agree with my statement but do stand by your own words. The two paragraphs that I have quoted from your post contradict each other.

You state culture and tradition are permanent (nose/ear piercing) – yet they were discontinued because of fashion (proving that the traditions and cultures were no more fashionable). The trend was revived and brought back as 'fashion' and is a style of the youth now.

In, your enthusiasm to disagree with me, you have agreed to what my thread states. Thank you.

"A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak" - Michael Garrett Marino

• Sign In to post your comments