You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Improve Your English

Today I have learnt a new term!

Learning has no limit! If our mind is open, we can learn new things everyday. Today I have learnt a new term which I am going to share with the Members of ISC. The term is 'Bangalored'. I was astonished and amused when I first heard the term. When I checked the meaning, I found that 'Bangalored' means a person has lost his job because his/her company has decided to move its operations to a city in India, may or may not be in Bangalore. A sentence with this word: As per the survey, another ten thousand people will be Bangalored by the end of the year.

Americans have coined this particular term. However, now I am not very amused. Isn't the term little bit derogatory for Indian IT sector? What is your opinion in this regard? Should we, Indians, use this term to indicate laying off?
    Quite interesting. We can add some new words. Chennaied - Mumbaied - Delhied - Kolkattoed - This can convey a meaning that the person was placed in these places.

I was chennaied when I could not adjust with my boss at Mumbai.
    I will be kolkattoed if I don't perform my duties well.
    I was delhied on my request.
    I want to get Mumbaied as my wife is working in Mumbai.

No life without Sun ¤

During my childhood I was amused hearing the word: 'Gheraoed'. A sentence: The manager was gheraoed by the agitating employees.
    Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

Like this many new words are coined in English. Earlier I have seen an advertisement of Gold Spot a soft drink. In that advertisement they used a word 'Goldspotted '. The meaning of that word is Drunk gold spot. Did yo goldspotted today. It means Did you have gold spot today.
    drrao
    always confident

That is quite a new revelation to me. Had it not been for this post I would not have known this.
    However this post led me to search more on the matter. It is surprising to know that the word was already in use even from 2004. (How we missed it?)

In 'http://yaleglobal.yale.edu' a post dated June 4, 2005 (authored by Pratibha Umashankar a journalist with Khaleej Times) starts like this: "If you come across someone in Silicon Valley wearing a T-shirt screaming: 'Don't Get Bangalored!' don't be surprised. It's official. Bangalored now means losing one's job to outsourcing in India, and more specifically, to Bangalore."

The post also adds that the word "has not become a legitimate dictionary word, yet, but it is well on its way there. It is being bandied around IT circles, and has been in print for at least a year, from the Bangkok Post to the Times of India . Small wonder then, that websites are selling T-shirts with the inscription 'Don't Get Bangalored!', exploiting and reflecting the sentiments of those who have been laid off in the US because their jobs have been moved to Bangalore. These T-shirts are reportedly selling at $15.99, and in all likelihood, have been made in China, in another ironic act of outsourcing."

So much for knowing the word and its significant usage in detail.

Contextually I could also learn that a word '"shanghaied" was in existence since 1870 and meant 'to be compelled to action through fraud or coercion'. The same post also gave me information that the word 'lesbian' came from the name of city of Lesbos, an island in the Aegean Sea.

Thanks, Partha, for this thread.

As told by Venkiteswaran, even I have searched and found it was the earlier situation when Americans get lay off due to shifting of companies to India and particularly Bangalore is famous there as it has IT hub initially and only later other places got that many.

But now this term is no more valid there as the situation is reverse due to Trump effect only Indians are getting lay off as he wanted Americans to be employed there.

Nice to be in ISC and feel the difference.

Now the question is: should Indians use this term to indicate lay-off? Would it be appropriate for us? I feel that this term is derogatory.
    Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

I am really astonished by knowing the existence of such words, there are lot of terms from Indian language which are now common in U.S.A such as- KARMA, Namaste, jungle,loot, thug e.t.c. and I have heard these words used in many hollywood series but these words are very common.
    But bangalored is not among one of the words which made me more curious and astonished. So today I also learned a new word from this thread.

"It is hardest thing in the world to be good thinker without being a good self examiner"

Very amusing information. Somehow we missed this word may be because it was mainly used by the people in silicon valley rather than in India.

As the word is in negative sense territory and derogatory specially for one of our topmost city, I am not feeling comfortable to use it specially in my post. If only people in US or to that matter in any other country are using it, let them use but I feel it will slowly move to the list of seldom used words one day.

Knowledge is power.

• Sign In to post your comments