You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: India

Implementation of schemes: Whose responsibility?

India is a federal country. The Central Government forms rules and laws in respect of subjects mentioned in the Union List of the Constitution. The State Governments do the same thing in respect of areas mentioned in the State List. So far as subjects mentioned in the Concurrent List, both Central Government and State Governments have the authority to form rules, laws, etc.

Now let us come to schemes. Central Government (I don't have much knowledge about State Governments) formulates many schemes. The financing pattern is also chalked out in case of schemes related to subjects mentioned in the Concurrent List. But what about implementation? Whose responsibility is to implement these schemes? Isn't it the duty of executives (both under Central Government and State Governments) to implement these schemes?

Why am I raising this question? There is a Central Government scheme named "Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojna" (earlier 'Indira Awas Yojna'). I know that under this scheme, a very compact, earthquake-resistant, cost-effective, hygenic dwelling unit has been developed after brilliant research by Indian scientists. The scheme, if implemented properly, can solve the problem of housing in the rural and semi-urban areas of the country. This dwelling units are for financially backward people. The financing pattern of the scheme has been chalked out and the majority of the finance (70%?) is being provided by the Central Government.

But the scheme has been marred by poor implementation. Not only that, in some States like West Bengal, dirty political game is being played for implementation of this scheme. My question is: Can't we make the executives (BDOs, SDOs and District Collectors) directly responsible for implementing such schemes?
    I think it is well implemented in Tamilnadu. Few years back, as advised by our former President APJ Abdul Kalam, Government has authorised construction of 10,000 free houses for the people below BPL (Below Poverty Line) residing at Koodankulam and in the villages near Koodankulam nuclear power station, each house costing Rs. 3,00,000/-. The district collector was the sole authority and was directly responsible to implement this scheme. Initially, the scheme was mainly for six village Panchayats around Koodankulam Nuclear power station. As there was no takers in the villages, the scheme was distributed to many other villages in Tirunelveli district. I could see many such houses in my village and other villages of my district. The collector has done his best to implement this scheme successfully.

When I tried to get one for me, I was denied stating that I am APL (Above Poverty Line)

No life without Sun ¤

The thread has brought out the most important and crucial part of the plan - that is implementation. Plans are made, budgets are allocated, modalities are worked out, in some health related areas even funds from world bank are earmarked but what happens to the implementation part?

This is really an alarming situation that we miserably fail in implementation. One main reason can be attributed to lack of punishment policy and due to this people take things very casually and do not bother if plan is delayed or shabbily incorporated.

Unfortunately the people who are made responsible for certain jobs will always be having some excuses and due to their links with politicians they will be scot free from any untoward situation.

For effective implementation stick and carrot policy in a unbiased manner is required and for that the top people in politics as well as administration should be of high integrity. Even one fish is sufficient to spoil the pond and it takes considerable time to repair a rotten system where corruption plays a paramount role.

A strong, efficient and honest leadership at top levels both in centre as well as states is the need of the hour.

I am not a pessimist and hope that things will slowly improve in this direction and implementation of projects will be done in effective manner.

Knowledge is power.

What I understand that when ever the central scheme is allowed it is the duty of Public relation department to advertise the scheme widely in press and media so that people may know the benefits. Moreover the IAS officer of concerned department is responsible to pass on the scheme and message to his states counterpart so that simultaneous launch of the said scheme is possible. But due to political differences with Delhi and states, some states are neglected for obvious reasons and thus people wont know. Nevertheless the "Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojna" needs wide publicity and at least people would know about it. I would request the banks also tell their customers about this scheme. They should make hand bills and send messages to the customers when such good National scheme is announced.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

There is a confusion in this housing schemes. The state government is also making an advertisement about two bedroom houses to poor. Is is a separate scheme by state Government, I don't know. Telangana government is arranging for these houses. The District Collector is the implementation authority they say. But lot of interference by politicians. Some local politicians are collecting some money from the people in the name of allocating these houses. Finally I doubt very much whether the benefit will go to the needy.

For all central government schemes also District Collector will be the implementation authority. It is their duty to see that justice is done to needy. Houses re to be constructed and handed over to the needy in a proper way to the deserving. The politicians should give a free hand to Bureaucrats. They have to see that justice will be done for the needy.

drrao
    always confident

Yes, Dr. Rao: That is the politics. The State Governments desparately want to take credit of the brilliant scheme (initiated by the previous Central Government but further improved by the present regime) financed by the Central Government. As a result of this dirty politics, the welfare scheme is not being implemented.
    Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

• Sign In to post your comments