You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Improve Your English

Can although and but be used in the same sentence?

Confused about using the words although and but in a single sentence? Get free English tutorials and learn the right usage of although and but.

While editing, I have come across quite a few members using the words 'although' and 'but' in the same sentence. I am surprised, since I thought these two negate each other when used in the same sentence.

Can somebody explain with clear examples when it would be OK, as per English language, to use both and when not?

One example: Although there are some sites accepting online bookings for movie tickets, but this is not legal without official authorization.
    - is this sentence OK? I would have removed the word 'but' in this sentence.
    Although the said author might have tried to write in different way, but he ended up writing the same way of content writing. " Although the there are some sites accepting online bookings for movie tickets, though it is not legal without official authorization" could also be written. It is all about the knowledge acquaintance of the authors who write the content and those who are well versed in reading and understanding will any how do so without going into the details of grammar error. English is such a language , the meaning for every thing can be conveyed into many ways and that is the essence of that language.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

I think although and but can't be used in the same sentence. Although I tried to get distinction in the exam, I failed to get it. Another way of telling the same sentence is. I tried my best to get distinction in the exam, but I failed in that attempt.

Using both may be not correct in my opinion. But many people use, even i might have used sometimes by mistake. But as far as grammar is concerned what Ms. Vandana is telling appears to be correct. But and although can't be used in the same sentence.

drrao
    always confident

I don't think 'although' and 'but' can be used in the same sentence. I am trying to give an example:

(i) Although he doesn't study much, he performs well in examinations. - Correct sentence
    (ii) He doesn't study much, but he performs well in examinations. - Correct sentence

Although he doesn't study much, but he performs well in examinations. - Not correct.

Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

What I would say funnily is - Mr Although cannot marry Ms. But and live together in one room. My simple explanation is clear, I think.
    No life without Sun ¤

• Sign In to post your comments