You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Why all official languages are not used on Indian currency notes?

There are 23 official recognised languages are there in India. But on our currency notes the value of the note is mentioned in few languages only. why RBI is not using all the languages. Only popular State languages like Hindi, Telugu, Tamil, Bengali etc. are now in use. Is there any rules regarding the use of languages on currency notes? Is there any chance for other languages to be used in future. Knowledgeable members can throw some light on this issue?
    Ramakrishna Khambhampati,
    Kindly list out all the languages presently used in our currency notes, and also the languages(according to you) omitted in our currency notes. That will help us to respond to your query.

No life without Sun ¤

Very good question! The eighth schedule of the Constitution of India initially had 15 languages. Later another two languages were added. Again much later another five languages have been added in the eighth schedule. The currency notes used in the country have updated upto seventeen scheduled languages. So, in the currency notes we see seventeen languages. I am sure that in due course, another five scheduled languages will also be added.

At present, there are seventeen languages in the currency notes circulated in India.

Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

Mr Partha Kansabanik
    I need to know the later and much later. When another two languages were added and when another five languages were added? Just specify the years. Was it long back or just few years back? Why didn't the authorities bother to include the missed out languages in the newly introduced 2000 and 500 rupee currency notes?

No life without Sun ¤

All official languages are not chosen.These are chosen according to these are spoken by majority of people.17 languages are widely spoken in India.So these are chosen.Although there are more than100 languages are spoken in India.

While I do agree that there are 23 listed and approved languages by the government, all the languages may not have the place of mention in the currency notes. Please note that 15 languages are widely spoken and the population of the same is also more. So other languages which also have the recognition cannot be mentioned as some wont have the lipi to mention. Many feels that Konkani language is the dialect of Marathi language and we can find the Marathi written on the currency notes. Likewise other languages missed out must be having one connection or the other with other languages and hence it is not officially printed on notes.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

There may not be a specific reason for not printing all the official languages on Indian Currency. 16 languages from 8th schedule are used by RBI. English is also used even though it is not from 8th Schedule.
    Many amendments are made to 8th schedule and presently around 23 languages are there.
    Recently I read a news that Maithili language is going to appear on the notes and proposal has been accepted.
    I think some lobbying is required to add other languages also into the list.
    The speakers of the languages has to take up the issue if they want to see their language also on the note. They have to see that RBI will accept their proposal. The all these languages will also appear on the note. I

drrao
    always confident

I differ from the views of the member Dr N V Srinivasa Rao that lobbying is required by the supporters of those language which has no mentions in the currency notes. Every language which the people speak across the country are recognized and every citizen from those areas and region are voters. When the government and the political parties can enjoy their votes , why not they take unilateral decision to include those languages which were missed out in the currency notes. The MP and MLA representing those languages on reading this post at least must prevail upon the government to include the missed languages.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

What I sincerely recommend is - We should not try to print all the Indian Languages in our currency notes and make it like Jileby. There should be one common Indian language (Sanskrit) and the most common International language (English) to read and understand the value of the currency notes. No one reads their own language in the currency notes. They simply look at the size, its colour and the figures and understand the value of the currency notes. Such a change is required. It is funny to hear that lobbying is required to add a language in a currency note.
    No life without Sun ¤

• Sign In to post your comments