You must Sign In to post a response.
Constantly getting your article shifted to pending due to errors? Learn from this thread on common errors so that you can avoid them & get your article approved quicker!
  • Category: General Instructions

Article Help Desk - how to improve writing of articles

This is a lengthy post. I have gathered a list of general errors made by members when submitting articles. Please take time to go through it, to help you get your articles approved quicker. In this thread you can also submit any queries you have related to submission of articles, including if you did not understand the reason given by an editor of why your article was shifted to pending. We would like to guide you.

Frequent errors:
    1. It is incorrect to say 'Study at abroad' or 'Study in abroad'. It is just 'Study abroad' or 'Study abroad in (country)'.
    2. Do not put URL in a summary, not even in text form.
    3. Do not put any tags in the title of summary.
    4. It is fine to put Q&A format in the summary for SEO purposes. That is, begin with "Are you looking for …..?" or "Searching for ……?" or "What are the benefits of ……?" or "Why are…….?" However, do not put excessive questions in the summary and avoid keyword spamming. Keep it concise.
    5. Instead of "Are you willing to….", it should be "Are you planning to…. / Are you eager to….. / Aspiring to……".
    6. Do not repeat sentences in the summary.
    7. Do not write "Read this post". Instead, better ones (as per the article topic):
    (a) "This article provides complete information about the ….. course offered by ……..You will know the eligibility criteria, course fees and application process" or
    (b) "This article gives informative details on the PG…….. program offered by ….., including brief details of what you will learn and the selection process" or
    (c) "This article provides an in-depth insight into the career of…….with details of what are the qualifications and skills required to become a ….." or
    (d) "This article is an essay on ……" or
    (e) "Benefits of …….. are explained in this article, as also the possible side effects."
    8. Always put a brief introductory paragraph to start the article. The article should not start off at breakneck speed, but with a gentle gallop.
    9. Do not drop 'a' and 'the'.
    10. Do not needlessly put comma punctuation every now and then.
    11. Keep one space only after punctuation, not two and no space at all before punctuation.
    12. Singular / plural should be considered – examples: (i) "Will be valid for 1 years" is incorrect. It should be "Will be valid for 1 year"; (ii) "The online software tools helps to resolve the issue" is incorrect. It should be "The online software tools help to resolve the issue".
    13. Do not split words which should be one. Refer: (a) Don't divorce or separate these words and (b) Do not separate the body from its head
    14. Every sentence must have the first letter in capitals.
    15. Use correct capitalization where required, such as for a name, city, film name, institute name, etc
    16. Spacing – do not leave long spaces after the colon which you put for numbered points.
    17. If you are putting a few lines for a point, and these are not numbered, leave one line space between them. For example, suppose you are mentioning what are the learning modules in each semester. You write, for example:
    "Semester 1: Fundamentals and concepts of Cloud computing, ……..
    "Semester 2: Advanced features of Cloud computing with project work,….
    - between the above two, keep a one line space, rather than scrunching them up together.
    18. Headings – do not put colon and semi-colon in headings with h2 or h3 tags.
    19. Do not put headings in italics.
    20. Do not repeat the institute name and course in every heading.
    21. Check after submission how your article looks. If you see too many gaps, or the left alignment is improper, check the tags you put – likely you did not close a tag.
    22. Do not use 'p' tags. Do not use tags which are not allowed. Read the instructions next to the box.
    23. Do not put images which are under copyright.
    24. Give links in the correct places, not just planted anywhere. For example, when you put a heading 'How to apply', the link to the application page can be put there, rather than at the beginning somewhere, suspended meaninglessly, or at the very end in the last line, up to which point the reader may not even go.
    25. When posting articles on admissions, results or a specific course of a particular institute/university, do not omit the contact details – address, phone numbers, email ID and website URL (if you have the website link earlier in the article, put it at the end in URL text form.)
    26. When posting articles on the current academic year, make it a point to mention the schedule, such as the closing dates of online submission/registration/ application, date of entrance test, if any, when Admit card for the test will be available online, etc.
    27. Put in related keywords (up to 4 maximum) via the 'Related Keywords' feature, selecting from the options provided those which are most relevant to your articles. These may help to get traffic to your article.
    28. Select correct category - why are members putting admissions and finance articles in 'Knowledge sharing'? That is the default one which comes up, so please go through the categories and select the one relevant to your article topic.

Most important - repeating #21 above - after you hit the 'submit' button, check how the article looks. Many of you don't bother with this obvious step and thus miss out on realizing that tags are not closed, that alignment is askew, huge gaps are there, etc.

Those with expertise in English and writing skills, as well as those who know of common errors, are welcome to give feedback. Do not mention any particular article or author, as the aim is not to create discomfiture to any member, but to give general guidance.
    I find it very helpful. Thanks for posting a descriptive guide for newbies like me.

Recently, most of my contents had been moved to pending status because of silly mistakes: spacing, grammar and typos errors.

I always wondered if I could be mentored by someone to elucidate the guide for writing an error free contents.

Your guide has help me to point out my own mistakes.

With reference to (27) regarding keywords, should I add one to two keywords per paragraph? Would it be considered as spamming if ones include more than a 10 keywords. Can you please elucidate the minimum and maximum usage of keywords in brief?

Also, why it takes time to review articles? (Taking longer time than expected or usual)

Thanks.

Be the Hero of the zero hour!

Thank you Vandana maam for useful instructions. I shall follow these instructions before posting articles. This is very helpful for all the ISC members.

We need more patience to write an article. To read this thread and understand it clearly and follow it, we need extraordinary patience. Slipping one point from the 28 points may send our article to pending section. From this, I can understand that writing an article is not that easy at ISC.
    No life without Sun

I like to thank the author for such a elaborate tutorial for educating the article writers. It is very useful and if any similar mistakes are done earlier, now they can avoid those mistakes.
    In some of the articles somewhere the adjectives and propositions are missing. It may be typographical mistake. It will be good if we avoid those mistakes also.
    Thanks, for taking interest and suggesting points for the members, to the Managing Editor.

drrao
    always confident

John Deo,

The keywords I mentioned was with reference to selecting them from the 'related keyword' feature provided to authors to add the keywords themselves. I will amend the text in that point. With reference to keywords within an article, we allow a few keywords to be put in bold tags, but ideally these should be limited to two or three, spread over the article. A good length quality article can also have four to five keywords. If unsure about keywords and how many to use and you do not wish to spam, then just leave it. Be comfortable first in presenting articles well and read articles by good authors to understand how well an article flows even without keywords being in bold. You will slowly learn about using keywords for Search Engine Optimization (SEO).

When people come at you with their worst, you should come at them with your best (advice given to Selena Gomez by her mother, quoted in Time magazine.)

Thank-you Vandana, for this article help desk. I have learnt a lot from my pending status articles on admissions. I learnt to use HTML tags and giving links.Now I need to learn keywords. I check many times my articles before final submit. I find typos/skipped letter in the approved article. My request is, can the article after approval be kept unlocked for a day for making corrections. In my article Bangalore Admission I have skipped a letter in a word. I need to correct it.

Thanks Vandana madam to guide us. It is really a nice post and guidance to write article and to approve an article as earliest.
    I have a doubt. Please clear me how to attach relevant keywords to an article. Can anyone guide me. I have not added any keyword in my article so far.

Honesty is the best policy.

Also, Can I embed YouTube Videos in my article. It is about gaming tutorial for three quarters of the victory for games like Townsmen, Clash of Clans, Zombie Castaways, Moba Games etc. I want to make my content worth more than cash credit.

I also assure you that I will disable subscription?confirmation=1/

I will also disable autoplay option in my article.

Readers will only been able to play the video only if they feel interested.

Can you give the above permission?

Jenny - You can let me know via email which is the word to be corrected. I will do the needful. Generally if there are few spelling & grammar errors, the editor will correct them rather than shift it to pending, so I can correct the word for you.

Hakimuddin - Look at the top of your article. You will see the link 'Related Keywords' next to 'Guest Editing'. Click on that and you will be taken to the page to add the Keywords, using the search keywords box (type some word relevant to your article) and then select the relevant key words from the drop down list in the next box below the search box.

John - Yes, YouTube videos can be placed in an article. However, I will confirm with the Webmasters if more than one is allowed in a single article and the other technical aspects which you have mentioned (autoplay, etc) since I am not conversant about these aspects.

When people come at you with their worst, you should come at them with your best (advice given to Selena Gomez by her mother, quoted in Time magazine.)

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.