You must Sign In to post a response.
Alert on forthcoming quiz on Sunday 16th July 2017, after 10.30a.m.
  • Category: Announcements

Monsoon Mania - Quiz feedback & guesses

With great determination to create an error-free quiz, here I embark on yet another voyage into dangerous seas....

On Sunday 16th July you will see the busy ME dropping anchor with a quiz for all of you to solve with glee;
    It's a simple "fill in the blanks", but the words are not all simple as some will make you ponder & wonder and bring out a few frowning wrinkles.

This is just an alert for one and all - stay tuned on Sunday 16th July after 10.30a.m. There will be sufficient time given to send answers via email. Don't make haste as it will cause waste in points and cc, not to mention losing out on a prize!

[This thread will be opened for feedback and guessing the right answers once the quiz is closed.]
    Thank you everyone for the superlative response to the Monsoon Quiz . I will provide a list of the members who participated and their timings soon. However, I will not right away tell you the answers. Instead, you can just have some fun here guessing the right answers & discussing each other's answers, which were difficult or easy, etc.

Do give general feedback on whether you genuinely enjoy this type of 'Fill in the blanks' quiz. Also, were you able to solve it by yourself or took the help of family members or looked up a dictionary or the Net, etc? I am hoping that the quiz was also a learning experience as some of you must have increased your vocabulary somewhat.

When people come at you with their worst, you should come at them with your best (advice given to Selena Gomez by her mother, quoted in Time magazine.)

The contest is quite interesting. In fact yesterday morning I had gone out and couldn't open my computer. I cam back at about 4 PM and the first work I have done is to open and complete the quiz. I have taken the help of my family members and completed the quiz in about 20 to 30 minutes, I think. I have not used any dictionary in answering the questions.Many of the fill in the blanks I could do myself. A good quiz and enjoyed doing it. It has brought back my memories of competitive examinations experiences. Those day in the examinations they used to give one or two this type of questions also. I have taken a little more time in filling the first two blanks. I don't know how many of my words match with the key which is with Ms. Vandana. I wish many more quiz programs of this type may give lot of encouragement to many.
    drrao
    always confident

I quite enjoyed this interesting contest. Was the quiz fun? Well, it definitely was. Was it 'error free'? Be prepared for possible brickbats once the correct answers are made public, though as of now it does look like you succeeded in presenting an error free contest. Was the quiz easy? It was relatively easy, but I did spend some time on the second last paragraph. Yet, my answers might not match with those selected by you. Did I take help from family members or use the dictionary? I did neither of those.

I had forgotten about the quiz. And only remembered about it post lunch, after I had gotten back from Church. I had expected many members to have posted their responses by then, but there was just one response.

Keep more of such contests coming – they help to give those grey cells a workout!

I would prefer the correct answers to be published at the earliest, instead of discussing them with the others.

"A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak" - Michael Garrett Marino

Interesting contest! I really enjoyed it. I checked the contest announcement by 10.45 AM on Sunday itself but after that we left home for weekend outing and returned late so I posted my response today morning only. I was having very little time so I did not take help from anywhere and submitted the possible ones.
    I thought that my response would be the last one but no, I am not the last..:)

Padmini

Living & Learning- simultaneous processes!

It was late in the evening that I saw the contest thread; after returning from an outstation visit. Then I just rushed through to catch the mail(e mail rather). I knew that if I delayed I would not have participated. So impromptu answering is my mode always. Right or wrong whatever came to my mind, I filled up and sent. For one answer my wife helped me as she was peeping over my shoulder to see what I was engrossed in at that time. She raised doubt about my original answer. I accepted her suggestion as It seemed more suitable.

As my post is way down in the timeline, by normal logic I do not stand a chance to win top prize . But then a little bit of cash is welcome and can encourage and enthuse. I enjoyed the time I spent on that.

It was an interesting contest. It did help me in improving my vocabulary. There were some words that I was not aware of, so I took help from the net and in the process I learnt a lot of new words. It was a great learning experience. ISC should organize more such type of contests in the coming future.
    Don't sweat the small stuff and it's all small stuff.

Indeed, an excellent quiz to set our brain in order. Though I noticed this thread at 1100 hrs, due to some guests visit, I kept my computer away to please the guests. After the lunch, I started working on it. For certain things, I asked the guests to answer. They could help me with one or two words. I am much aware of the monsoon, but not the eats during monsoon. The four letter eatable words were problem to me. I asked my daughter about the monsoon eats. She asked me," Who is the author of this contest and where is she from?. I said,"It is my ME and I do not know about her state, but could be from Mumbai." Then she helped me with some eats to fill. However, I am not happy with it. I feel that I have no chance to win but I hope to score minimum 18/25.

Such contest should be arranged once in a month on a topic suitable to the month. I welcome it whole heartedly.

@ You should not take much time to announce the result. It would take hardly 15 minutes to evaluate the answers.(One minute for each mail). We expect the result before 2359 hrs /17th July.

No life without Sun

First of all, I would like to thank Vandana Ma'am for such a wonderful quiz. It was a very interesting contest and had great fun solving it. I was the last member submitting the entry, I got stuck to second last paragraph and couldn't get three words and referred net for the answers.

There is no chance of winning this contest but hope to get at least 20 correct. I learned many new words while filling the blanks. As request by another member, I would also wish ISC to organize such contest once in a month.

It was really an interesting quiz contest. I enjoyed well. It helped me to increase my vocabulary. Thanks to arrange this contest. Now I am waiting for the announcement of the winner. I want to know how many correct answer I have submitted.
    Honesty is the best policy.

Like Anand, the second last paragraph was also the trickiest one for me because I had two sets of words to fit into the first set of consecutive blanks. The words were WATER & LOGGING and POWER & OUTAGES. I did some mental reasoning and filled in the second set of words in the blanks for it to read as "Poor drainage systems can cause heavy power outages".

My reason for doing so was the answers that I had worked out for the third set of sequential blanks. INUNDATED ROADS seemed to fit into the third set of consecutive blanks "…due to inundated roads…", and since these words meant almost the same as water logging, I chose to fill the first set of blanks in the second last paragraph with power outages.

Did anyone else face the same dilemma as me? Which blanks did you find difficult to find answers to?

"A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak" - Michael Garrett Marino

I am glad everyone enjoyed participating. I would like to reiterate here the need to not make haste. For example, putting the word 'corn' in the first blank instead of the second, 'tea' in the second blank instead of the first, etc. You also need to read the sentence carefully and apply your mind when singular/plural comes into play. For example, it was mentioned as 'their nets' so the answer 'fisherman' is invalid. It must be 'fishermen'. Then there are the spelling errors we make when typing. The word 'lightning' if spelled as 'lightening' is invalid - here, it is clearly given as being a 9-letter word and adding that extra 'e' not only makes it a 10-letter one, the meaning of it is entirely different.

Here's the list of participants:
    1. Joyshree: 16 July 2017 at 11:51
    2. Juana: 16 July 2017 at 13:38
    3. Aditya Mohan: 16 July 2017 at 14:24
    4. Abhishek Srivastava: 16 July 2017 at 14:56
    5. M. Sun: 16 July 2017 at 15:11
    6. Seema Mittal: 16 July 2017 at 15:38
    7. Dr.N.V. Srinivasa Rao - 16 July 2017 at 16:33
    8. Ramakrishna Kambhampati - 16 July 2017 at 18:04
    9. Partha - 16 July 2017 at 18:26
    10. Soundharya - 16 July 2017 at 18:31
    11. Nilesh Joshi - 16 July 2017 at 18:49
    12. Vamar - 16 July 2017 at 19:3213.
    13. Hakimuddin Kuwakhedawala -16 July 2017 at 20:08
    14. Aliasgar - 16 July 2017 at 20:16
    15. Suman Sahu - 16 July 2017 at 21:04
    16. Asha Kurian - 16 July 2017 at 22:23
    17. Venkiteswaran - 16 July 2017 at 23:38
    18. Dhruv - 17 July 2017 at 00:27
    19. Sushma - 17 July 2017 at 01:18
    20. Padmini - 17 July 2017 at 08:22
    21. Anand - 17 July 2017 at 09:39

As mentioned in the announcement thread, if you do not post a participation response in that thread, you will not get any points & cc for your correct answers but your answers will be taken into account for the main prizes if you are eligible for them.

The answer key is provided in the response below, with some more general feedback.

When people come at you with their worst, you should come at them with your best (advice given to Selena Gomez by her mother, quoted in Time magazine.)

The answers:
    As an adult you are likely to go around a puddle (6), but as a child, you will have definitely jumped into at least one, that too with a big splash (6)! Once you step into it, you will have muddied your clothes, unless of course you wore a raincoat (8) to cover them up from top to toe. What's more, it is a useful gear to wear when there is a torrent (7) [hint: it means heavy rainfall] as merely holding an umbrella (8) is utterly useless.

When the heat gets to you in the summer (6) season you long for rain, but when it does arrive in full force, you pray for a bit of golden sunshine(8). You do get scared, especially, of the lightning (9) and thunder (7), what one would call a heavenly light and sound show, but are thrilled when a rainbow (7) arches across the sky.

It is fun to eat some hot golden cobs (4) of corn (4) with a little bit of spicy masala and a dash of lime smeared on them. Then there are a variety of piping hot, deep fried fritters (8) [English word] enjoyed especially during the monsoon. Yummy!

While the season has its own charm in some ways, in other ways it can be an utter nuisance. Poor drainage systems can cause heavy water logging (5, 7). It is definitely no fun to be caught in traffic jams (7, 4) due to submerged roads (9, 5), not to mention the public transport system also being thrown out of gear. At the end of the day, you just long to be back in the comfort of your home, sipping a hot cup of tea (3) or coffee (6), perhaps.

One really wishes for at least an accurate weather (7) forecasting system to get the forecast right, on which even the fishermen (9) can rely to know whether or not to venture out into the sea to cast their nets. With no proper awareness, one's plans go haywire and one has to resort to singing the nursery rhyme (7, 5) "Rain, rain, go away!"

--
    A little general feedback: All participants got the words umbrella, summer, tea and coffee correctly and only one member gave an incorrect answer for the word rainbow. I was surprised to see incorrect answers for the first two words, though, and thought these would be really easy. I was happy to see that the word torrent was submitted by nine of you. Only one member got the word submerged correctly and only two got the word cobs correctly.

This is the first I am seeing 'cobs of corn' being mentioned as being eaten as food. I have always known it to be 'ears of corn' or 'corn on the cob'. The term 'Cobs of corn' is something utterly new to me and I do not think it is correct. Can a reference be provided for this term, please?

Only cattle eat cobs.

Cobs mean the central part of an ear of corn, which is not eaten by humans. So, when you say cobs of corn, what is being implied is eating the central woody part of the corn.

I am afraid we do not eat cobs of corn. 'Corn on the cob' is what we eat. The corn kernels are embedded on the cob. A 'bhutta' is an ear of corn. So, we eat an ear of corn or ears of corn, as per the clues.

I failed to get the Torrent, cobs, corn, traffic jams and submerged roads. As I guessed I would get 18/25. Is there any prize for me? I doubt.

@ Vandana, Why did you cut my name as M. Sun when you can spell all other members double name in full. The names of members should be written as it appears - you said. It hurts me. Better practice what you preach or teach.
    Is the name Master Sun longer than Ramakrishna Khambampati or Hakimuddin kuwakhedawala ?

No life without Sun

If Juana's claim is correct and cannot be argued, it would be better if cobs and corn is removed and result announced accordingly. I would get 18/23.
    No life without Sun

Juana,
    Yes, we do not actually eat the central part. The ear also refers to the part on which the kernels rest. So, as such, we do not eat the ear either. What we do is munch on the kernels with our teeth. Two members did get the word 'cobs' right and this word only will be considered.

I would like to mention frankly here that after creating the quiz, I shared it with others (not contributing to ISC) and got their input as I was aware of the previous bungles with quizzes and puzzles. They independently checked each and every word as well as the grammatical and spelling aspects.

Vandana,

I wholeheartedly agree you've worked hard on this quiz, but I beg to differ with your opinion on this particular issue. Getting any number of people to say it's correct, does not make it so. I am also trying to improve my vocabulary and that of others; by following the laid down meanings.

When a mango is eaten, it does not mean that the skin, the flesh and the seed are eaten. It generally means that only the flesh of the mango is eaten. Similarly, eating an 'ear of corn' means eating only the kernel of the corn. An ear of corn consists of the cob, the kernels and the husk. Whereas, eating a cob of corn specifically means that the central core is being eaten.

I fully agree that you are the judge, jury and executioner in this case. And if what you lay down is the rule, and is the acceptable 'standard' of this site, then so be it. I will continue to stand by my interpretation until it is proven otherwise.

You can perhaps have the others, who checked this quiz for errors, provide references that would actually educate me. Let's not forget one of the main objectives of this quiz – that of improving vocabulary. When something is so glaringly incorrect, I think it is erroneous to pass it off as correct and not accept the right answer.

There is nothing wrong in owning up to an error. When you are trying to teach others you must do a good job of it, otherwise, it doesn't serve the purpose.

Like Juana said I also thought it is known as ears of corn. This is something new to me as well.
    Don't sweat the small stuff and it's all small stuff.

To me, the hot golden cobs of corn is new. I never knew that it should be tasted during the monsoon period. Well. I will try it today with spicy masala and little lime smeared on it. Am in Bangalore and it is available. The weather is cool to enjoy the corn.
    No life without Sun

Refer:- "When a mango is eaten, it does not mean that the skin, the flesh and the seed are eaten."

So, what do we say :-
    1. He is eating a mango. or
    2. He is eating the flesh of a mango.

And those who have not heard the term - cobs of corn - need not make a mountain of a molehill. They simply need to google the term - cobs of corn. Those who have responded herein would definitely have googled the term, looking at some of the responses herein above, I am sure about that. But they need to search the term with double quotes on, like this - "cobs of corn".

As simple as that.

When you talk, you are only repeating what you already know. But if you listen, you may learn something new!

I stand in support of Juana in the 'ears of corn'; not because I have filled in 'ears ' instead of 'cobs'., but that is the more suitable one. Juana has explained it.

I admit I had gone wrong in 'congested 'roads instead of 'submerged ' roads.
    I mistakenly went for 'Rainsuit' to cover from head to foot instead of 'Raincoat'.

So thus I stand with a not -so-bad performance in my own estimation.

Ear of corn includes husk in addition to the silky threads between the husk & the kernel.
    When you talk, you are only repeating what you already know. But if you listen, you may learn something new!

Vandana & Juana,
    We are here to teach English And learn English. Vandana & Juana are English experts and most of the others like me are the learners. Please conclude which one is correct. Is it cobs of corn or ears of corn?

No life without Sun

I too am of the opinion that the correct answer should be ears of corn and not cobs of corn. The cob is the central part that we don't eat, whereas ears stands for the kernels plus the cob. So ears is more appropriate as it consists of the edible part, i.e. the kernels.

As far as torrent is concerned in the first paragraph, I think it is not fully appropriate. The word torrent is mainly written in conjunction with something like torrent of rain, torrent of insults, torrent of abuse and so on. It doesn't come alone. Deluge seems to be more appropriate as it simply means a heavy downpour. Torrent of its own means too large a amount that could be of anything, water, rain, insults, abuse, etc, etc. So without the words "of rain" mentioned, torrent doesn't fit in place.

Patience and perseverance pays

I fully support Dhruv. Torrent cannot suit in that place. We call it as torrential rain. This is also to be considered.
    No life without Sun

I put in my best efforts to trace and find the correctness of the two phrases - Cobs of corn and Ears of corn. The result is - Ears of corn is correct. Ears are the grains we get from the corn. We eat the ears, not the cob.
    No life without Sun

Ear of corn includes husk as well as the silky threads. I was not aware that civilised people eat husk too to stay alive. That is news to me.

And, it is not just cob, but is cob of corns. There is a difference between the two. PFA an attachment which shows that the term - cob of corns- in use.

Delete Attachment

If this is the case, the Quiz Master should have put it in this way. A hot golden ..............(Corncob) (7) with a little bit of spicy masala. Now she has it as Cobs of corn. Highly educated intelligent members claim that It should be Ears of Corn. A confusing quiz.

The contest announcer should take a quick decision and announce the result.

No life without Sun

Everyone,

Thank you. I appreciate the feedback given. Note that I have nowhere denied that ears of corn is an incorrect term. Please just refer to response #603544.

Dhruv - since this is a monsoon quiz, obviously torrent is associated with rain only and there is clearly 'a' before it. As per my knowledge, I do not think deluge would be appropriate here since that would be in the context of a flood and I am clearly referring to the fall of the heavy rain.

I will be announcing the winners soon in a separate thread, once the points tally is confirmed.

No life without Sun

The quiz was not at all confusing. The confusion is being created deliberately.

I repeat that ear of corn includes husk and civilised people do not eat husk. When the husk is removed then we have cob of corns or corncob. Another instance of usage of the term is herewith attached.

Delete Attachment

With all the evidences and photographs posted in this thread to prove the correctness of 'Cobs of Corn", the contest announcer should feel happy and go ahead with the results.
    No life without Sun

Vandana,

Your response says "The ear also refers to the part on which the kernels rest. So, as such, we do not eat the ear either." This is incorrect. We do eat the ear of corn/maize. What we do not eat are the cobs of corn. Those are fed to cattle.

Further, the issue is regarding the incorrectness of the term 'cobs of corn'. Please refer to the link shared in one of the above posts where it says - "A corncob, also called cob of corn, is the central core of an ear of maize". Please note it is the central part of the 'EAR OF MAIZE'. If you scroll down you will see it is used for various purposes, none of which include human consumption.

If your choice of words is correct then provide us valid examples. Just because you prefer to use a wrong term, does not make the same correct. Sorry to say, the way quiz contests are conducted here has become a joke. One would expect better from the Managing Editor of a site.

"Sorry to say, the way quiz contests are conducted here has become a joke. One would expect better from the Managing Editor of a site."

Very well then. I take that as a question mark on my competency as a contest organizer & won't be conducting any more contests, quizzes or otherwise. I had genuinely appreciated the feedback and reasonably explained my stance . The personal attacks (and outright mockery by one of the members here) are uncalled for.

This quiz is being cancelled.

No issue, Vandana ma'am. Torrent was the first thing that came to my mind, but the absence of "....of rain" led me to retract and I eventually settled for deluge, which suited the sentence structure better. (Deluge however is a letter less)

Apart from the controversy on the cobs of corn, this was otherwise a very well conducted contest and was quite interesting too. Win or no win, I sure enjoyed participating and test my skills. I will request our ME not to get discouraged by the controversy and she should continue to hold more such contests in future. We can very well do with a little bit of imperfections and controversies.

Patience and perseverance pays

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.