You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: IndiaStudyChannel.com

Should we raise threads to praise ourself and our family members?

Dear All,
    ISC is an educational institution where we have liberty to discuss various issues relating to India, may it be politics, society, sports, entertainment etc. Personal things and family affairs are generally not discussed, and should not be discussed. But should we raise threads to praise our own family members for their achievements? A member drum beats the achievement of his/her own family members. Will the same member drum beat if there was a failure event in his family?

Members should not raise threads, but can respond if it concerns or if asked for, I feel.

What is your opinion? Should we or shouln't we? Are we here to discuss such things? Is ISC forum a platform to perform family drama? Is it not too much at ISC? By this, ISC forum loses its status. Is itn't?

@ I used to write about my good old Padmini for fun and joy. It was to inform the members that my good old Padmini is fit and perfect even at this old age of 44. Now I stopped writing about her.
    It is pleasure some times to share our achievements with our friends and relations. All members of ISC are our friends, Probably some members are thinking like this and sharing the information. It depends on the individuals. However generally my feeling is we need not share such issues here.
    As you said it is a platform for discussing various issues related to our society, state, country and globe. It is always better to stick to those matters may be better. It is my thinking on the subject raised in the thread.

drrao
    always confident

When you consider ISC as the family, nothing wrong to share personal and family achievements. If you feel outsider and left out, that is your own botheration. And remember such threads appear on achievement and not just like that.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

The ISC forum is a stage to get on and give a speech, debate & discuss, even proudly declare success in reaching a milestone. So why not to share the milestone achieved of a family member? I do not see sharing of a family member's achievements as "drama". It is a moment of pride, of joy & happiness. What's wrong in sharing that joy with others? Some people may be reserved or consider it something very personal and not want to share it, but that does not mean that others who do so are drum beaters.

I personally like such threads. One gets to know about a fellow ISCian's family and applaud the achievers mentioned. What's more, these are inspiring threads surely, inspiring others to achieve one's goals with dedication and tenacity, with hard work and determination.

In sharp contrast are inane threads that trumpet about changing one's name. Now that is what I would call drama and hollow drum beating!

When people come at you with their worst, you should come at them with your best (advice given to Selena Gomez by her mother, quoted in Time magazine.)

One more thing mentioned was "Will the same member drum beat if there was a failure event in his family?" Why not that, too, if the member wants to? It could help to unload anguish & likely get some sound advice on how that failure can be overcome.
    When people come at you with their worst, you should come at them with your best (advice given to Selena Gomez by her mother, quoted in Time magazine.)

In public forums generally topics of common interests are discussed. Politics, current news, social issues etc are the main themes in such forums.

It appears ridiculous to praise ones family or describe family affairs in such places.

The basic idea of forums is exchange of information and view points on topics of common interest. As far as possible we should avoid personal matters taking a front place in our forums. This will create a healthy trend and avoid unnecessary controversies.

Knowledge is power.

What I feel that if a success story published here which may be member's personal achievement or his family's
    members achievement, nothing wrong to get inspired from it and get benefited later. One thing is sure, the success noteworthy of appreciation by others need appear here as our editors are also keeping the tow on the entries appended here.

K Mohan

If I think ISC is a family and all members of the ISC is our own family members, then why I should not share our achievement and failure event of our family members . Just I should think in positive way. Though someone think its ridiculous, it may give inspiration to others who search the way in his concern field. They are outside of yourself. So if they know about the achievement then it is a mix of internal and external motivation to help and keep someone on track and progressing.

In ISC, there are many big personalities, whom we can not able to connect directly in our life. But by this platform, we can search the way of goal of that veteran and may use in our practical life. I wish if a member wants drum beats the achievement of his/her own family members then the same member should drum beat in details if there was a failure event in his family? Because, someone also learn why the said member was failure in his field and its helps to do or not to do.

Sometimes people tell about their family member's experiences in some reference in the forum otherwise it looks odd as well as absurd to give unnecessary details there.

Anyway if some individuals like to share the success stories of their family members with us so we can not show our indifference to it and I think to that level it is acceptable

Thoughts exchanged is knowledge gained.

It is Okay to boost our own achievements at ISC for other members to feel proud. But not the family members achievement. If this goes on, one day we may see the following threads.

'"My daughter/son has completed her/his studies and she/he has fallen in love with a rich business man/woman. She/he was Miss/Mr India. Their marriage is scheduled on........."

Will it be an interesting/approved message in the ISC forum? I am afraid.

If ISC is considered as one family, and if ISC members are not allowed to call each other by their nick and pet and shortened names, Such a personal family affairs should not be raised and praised inviting a discussion over it. What is there to discuss about someone's family members' achievement. Or what is there to share in a virtual world where we do not know the ABCD of the family members.

No life without Sun

Some gets solace by revealing all their achievements as a open book in their life to others. Some are very shrewd and they wont reveal anything to anyone about their progress. It all the wish matters.
    K Mohan

We can be and should be a open book to others in our real life, but not in an educational site where the business is to discuss issues, not the family matters.
    No life without Sun

Life is also education , every problem we face on daily basis are the challenges , then what should stop us from sharing our joy and ecstasy here. Some may not like others progress and for that the system cannot be changed.
    K Mohan

There is nothing wrong in expressing self or family member's achievement. Such occasions come very rarely. We should praise not to jealous to the fellow ISCians.
    The greatest wealth in this world is mental peace and good health.

With the recommendation of members favouring such messages about the achievements and personal affairs of their family members, we will soon see ISC forum in a different shape. Forum won't remain as a forum for discussion but only for appreciation. It is not a jealousy feeling. It is to put the ISC in its right track for which it serves. I am not for it.
    No life without Sun

• Sign In to post your comments