You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Suggestions

Do you agree with this suggestion?

Do you think ISC users should have right to lock their own threads when they get their answers? This thing may able to effectively save the space of the website.
    It may not be proper to for the authors of question to lock the thread. But they can express their satisfaction or state that their problem is solved by the answer(s) given.
    Why I say so is that there can be many improvements, alternatives to the same issue or topic later. When the thread is alive, someone can give the latest development or update.
    For example in explanation, I saw a question thread on Income Tax exemption and methods to reduce tax.
    The question was about two or three years old. But a recent answer was posted which showed the latest dimensins as the tax slabs and exemption clauses are amended and updated in the last budget.

So for a person who searches for the matter if he sees the QA thread in his results, he can have a wider view of how it was earlier and how it is now. This is just one example.

While your suggestion is good and acceptable to me to but the fact is that this site earns money and also shared to us through ads appearing on the pages where in our content is appended and appears now and then. If the author has the facility to lock the thread, we are indirectly stopping the ads revenues to the site which is not correct. This site is thriving and living on the ads of Google and other agencies and the revenue from it is shared as the cash credits to us. Therefore we must leave the decision of locking the thread to the wisdom of ISC administration but the author can express his views on the thread itself about the satisfied responses and hence it can be locked.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Oh, sorry I didn't think of these facts presented by Mohan Sir and Venkiteswaran Sir. Thanks for bringing these facts into my notice.

I think administration permission should be with editors and administrators but that may be possible that there should be 2 lock on by user and other by editor once user locked then editor need to approve that lock.
    Santosh Kumar Singh
    (Sr. Microsoft Dynamics Axapta Technical,Mumbai)

I would totally want that. But "select best answer" option is kind of doing the same .
    Why not mark the answer that suits you the best?
    Moreover if we could lock our own threads,the responses won't be enough and chaos will prevail.

The stronger a light shines the darker are the shadows around it.

In my understanding a particular thread is locked by the editors in certain cases like - If the thread is a repetition of a recent thread or its contents are offensive and hurting or it has been discussed thread bare and fulfilled its purpose.

There may be other reasons also beyond my knowledge but these are the very general and basic things.

When I joined in ISC then in one of the old forums I had posted my views. Immediately I was informed by editors that one should not attempt to response in a forum after 10 days of its initiation. The point is really very valid as lot of water has flown below the bridge during that period and the thread had been already discussed in the beginning 3-4 days.

Anyway the prerogative of editors can not be delegated to members as that will bring a situation of chaos and anarchy.

Knowledge is power.

Kindly refer my post 604281 above in this thread.
    I responded presuming that it is about Answers in Ask Expert section. However if it is meant for forum, my stand is that threads may have either auto lock facility based on time elapsed. The thread author can give a follow up satisfaction comment and seek closure of the thread with justification.

• Sign In to post your comments