You must Sign In to post a response.
(This thread is the Special Prize Winner of the TOW contest for the week 30th July – 5th August 2017 on topic - 'Heaven/ly' )
  • Category: Competition Entries

Going to Heaven: It’s a heavenly feeling

7 p.m: The wireless set crackled. The signal officer of the Battalion received the message. He immediately passed on the message to the Commanding Officer (CO) of the Battalion. The CO called me and briefed in detail. A group of five terrorists were hiding in a remote village on the lap of the Pir Panjal range. He gave all details available with him and ordered me to proceed. The mission was to eliminate the terrorists.

The Quick Reaction Team (QRT) was ready in less than five minutes. I was leading the platoon. The entire team started the journey in two Jongas. The village was located at a distance of around 20 kilometer from the Battalion Headquarter, but the problem was the narrow approach road to the village. The sound of the Jongas would reach the terrorists. So, I ordered the members of the QRT to stop the Jongas at a distance of one kilometer from the village. Thereafter we proceeded on foot.

In the approach road we met the Field Intelligence Officer (FIO). He had been waiting for us. He accompanied us and guided us to the house where the terrorists were hiding.

My jawans in the QRT had been training for such situation for more than one year since their induction in the Counter Insurgency (CI) loop. All of them were battle-ready. But the house was located at one corner of the village with dense forest surrounding it. We had to approach from the front. There was no other way. The entrance door was narrow and only one person could pass through that door at a time.

How could I put my men in danger? I personally led the assault. I knocked at the door. A rough voice asked my name. I knocked for the second time. A volley of bullets from AK-47 greeted us. All of us ducked for cover. Now the real game started! I hit the door with the bayonet. Another volley of fire! I ordered the Subedar standing next to me to fire the rocket launcher to break open the entrance door. He did the same. The door was broken. As per the Standard Operating Procedure (SOP), I threw a stun grenade. Taking the opportunity of flash and loud sound of the stun grenade, all members of QRT entered through the broken door. A militant was in the first room, he started shooting from his AK-47. A bullet hit me on my shoulder but I shot him back. One enemy less!

I was bleeding; the Subedar asked me to get evacuated, I refused. All of us went to the first floor taking the wooden stairs. A volley of fire greeted us. We returned the fire. Suddenly, a grenade was thrown at us. It again hit me in my legs. I stopped moving. The Subedar took charge. He led the soldiers after the terrorists. I took an LMG and started giving cover fire to my soldiers. In the operation lasting ten minutes, all the terrorists got killed. Mission successful!

-------------------------------------------------

My colleagues, my jawans took me out. Now I am lying under the vast blue sky full of stars. I am lying on the lap of Mother India. My brothers-in-arms are standing beside me. My life is ebbing out. But I am not feeling any pain.

I am going to heaven. It's a heavenly feeling.

(Competition entry for Topic for TOW contest)
    Very nicely written. I liked the way how you tried to make it as realistic as possible. And you succeeded to a great degree.
    There definitely is a separate heaven awaiting the martyrs.

The stronger a light shines the darker are the shadows around it.

The journey of those who fought for our country and our security has been really mentioned with great elan. For the real martyr going to heaven is for sure. Because there is no selfish motive.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Thanks to Mr. Aditya Mohan and Mr. Mohan for reading this long post in which I wanted to tell a story.
    Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

An excellent story narrated by the author. Really the soldiers are putting their lives at stake and taking care of the country. Hats off to them. In our puranas it was told that the people who die in the war will go to heaven only. It was mentioned even Duryodhana and Karna were also gone to heaven only. As such the people who are giving their lives for country will definitely go to heaven only. The author has given a good presentation
    drrao
    always confident

Fantastic presentation. The reader can not leave in between. Very well conceived as well as very nicely presented.

The feelings of a person leaving the world are difficult to understand. They accompany him to the other world and no trace of them is communicated to the colleagues or family members. To imagine those things and present them in black and white is a creative work of quite a high level.

Well done and good luck.

Knowledge is power.

• Sign In to post your comments