You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Improve Your English

What are the meanings of these Idioms?

There are several Idioms in English and in various languages.Idioms will have a meaning if they are to be used but I didn't understand several meanings of Idioms from my Childhood like
    1)A stitch in times Saves nine
    2)A Barken dog will never bite

Before a dog bites, it will bark loudly it will not come silently and bite you in real time.Can you know the meanings of these Idioms?Knowledgeable members, please respond to the question
    A stitch in time saves nine.

Let's say you have a shirt and the stitching begins to come apart, under the arms. You ignore it and continue to wear the shirt because the ripped part is concealed under the arm and no one can see the tear.

But, after a few uses, the rip in the shirt would become bigger. You would now need to stitch the shirt because the ripped part would be visible to others. The tear would be bigger than it was when you first noticed it. You would now have to spend more effort correcting it. Had you fixed the tear when you first noticed it you would have needed just a couple of stitches, but now you need to use more stitches to fix the bigger tear.

What the proverb means is that things should be done at the appropriate time. Don't wait for them to become a bigger problem before you react. You'll end up putting in more effort.

A barking dog never bites -

Generally, dogs that bark, do not bite, dogs that bite bare their fangs, growl and show aggressive behaviour. Dogs bark to let you know that you are in their territory or to warn others of the threat that the dog sees.

This idiom means that people, who threaten you frequently, rarely act. They make just empty threats.

"A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak" - Michael Garrett Marino

1. A stitch in time saves nine. It conveys to me that repairs done in time actually saves a lot of future damages.
    We must make use of time to produce or conserve what we value.

2. And I'm absolutely baffled with your reasoning. You're entirely wrong. No one announces his attack of he needs success . Dogs aren't an exception. In order to secure an easy kill and to avoid resistance predators ambush their prey. Same goes with dogs.
    But a barking dog is merely warning you. It wants you to acknowledge it. Now that it's cover has been blown it wouldn't be wilful to attack.
    So a barking dog never bites .
    Ones who claim to harm you, will rarely harm you. Ones who claim to be the best are rarely the best.

The stronger a light shines the darker are the shadows around it.

The meaning of both the proverbs has been beautifully explained by Ms. Juana. Nothing more is required to be added.

So far as barking dog is concerned, I have never seen barking dog to bite. A dog always growls and shows its teeth before biting.

Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

@ALL,

What is the importance of Nine in that Idiom?

A blunt knife or rusted knife can't be useful for anything just for the sake we call it as the knife similar to PayTM series or Sachin or Virat records.

No significance, It is there to make it rhyme.

A stitch in TIME
    Saves NINE

Here 'time' rhymes with 'nine'.

"A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak" - Michael Garrett Marino

@All,

A barking dog will also bite and harm us as once I am a victim of that...

A blunt knife or rusted knife can't be useful for anything just for the sake we call it as the knife similar to PayTM series or Sachin or Virat records.

Dogs can bark before biting. But, the general observation is that dogs stand at a distance and bark. Even if they charge towards you, they will halt, at a distance and continue barking.

Have you ever observed a beggar in shabby clothes walking down a street? Have you noticed how the dogs on the street react? They begin barking, in unison. They sometimes walk alongside the beggar but continue barking. Sometimes they bark from across the street. They continue to bark, till the beggar remains in their territory. Once he exists what is clearly their domain, they mellow down, giving out short barks, before going about their business.

Two years ago, I was biten by a dog. It came silently from behind and bit me without any provocation. In that evening I had beeen carrying a bundle of clothes for getting these ironed. It got confused and bit me. In that case, it came silently and not even growled.
    Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

As already said by Partha, 'The meaning of both the proverbs has been beautifully explained by Ms. Juana.' is true. Please remember, the meaning of an idiom or proverb is used in a broader sense and if we go for its literal mean, we might be confused.
    Take the following examples:
    1. Its raining cats and dogs.
    2. Every cloud has a silver lining.
    In the first idiom, no cat or dog is falling with the rainwater. It simply means that it is raining heavily.
    In the same way, if one tries to find a silver lining behind black or floating clouds, he will only be disappointed as there is no such lining. Whereas, if he goes for the broader meaning, he will understand that there is hope or solution for every problem.

I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep.

A stitch in time saves nine. The example given by Juana is excellent and very nice explanation. If there is a rift between two persons they should sit together at the earliest and sort out the problem. Otherwise the rift will become big and you may not be able to solve it easily. A stitch in time saves nine. If you continue to wear the torn cloth it will further get torned. Similarly if you are not sorting out the problem in time, it will become a big problem. So always an action in time is required always.
    A barking dog never bites. The dogs which are having the habit of bitting, they will never alert you by barking. So a person really wants to harm you he will never give a clue to you about his intentions. So we should be careful with those persons. When you are walking on a road some dogs will stare at you where as some dogs bark, Don't worry about barkings, but worry about starings. A taring dog is not giving a clue to you about its intentions. So All of sudden it may jump. So watch them more carefully. In a similar fashion many people will shout when a they get angry on you. But they forget about their angry after sometime. But some people don't shout at you and they keep silence, but when time comes they will take their revenge in a big way. So keep watching those people more carefully.

drrao
    always confident

1)A stitch in times Saves nine: Do what is to be done now, now itself.Otherwise you may land in more losses and damages.
    If not, a situation that could be remedied by just a tablet may lead to a costly and traumatic surgery.

2)A barking dog will never bite: Action, and not words are needed. Enemy may not understand sane words. It knows only the injury you inflict on it. That is, if you have to accomplish a task, start actin right about it. Don't waste time in hollow verbal announcements.

@All,

My question is the words which are used has any significance in the Idiom meaning for the first Idiom and coming to the second barking dog will also bite there is no hard and fast rule that only silently dog will come and bite.

As I have already said in my thread No.#605771, Phrases, idioms and proverbs are not complete sentences. They are used only to express a situation. Therefore, if you try to go for their literal meaning, there would be no sense at all.

So the best way to understand them well is to learn their meanings, in the broader sense, by heart. They would surely give you ideas for which situation the said idiom/proverb has been used.

I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep.

• Sign In to post your comments