You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

The Tricolour should fly high

It was 15 August. Hamid was sitting alone in his room when Ali, his grandson came in. "Grandpa, will not you come to our school? The National Flag will be hoisted there." he said.

Hamid got up to get ready while Ali went out. He opened his steel trunk and looked at the two uniforms lying side by side- one of a soldier's and the other, a star studded, of a Lieutenant . He lost in old memories.

He had retired from the army as a soldier. Afzal, his only son was also interested to join the army like him and serve his motherland . Hamid and his wife had never objected to his choice. He cherished a desire in a corner of his heart to see his only son in the uniform of an officer.

Afzal was a brilliant student throughout his career. It was not very difficult for him to crack the SSB interview. How happy Hamid was when he heard the news!

Afzal successfully completed the rigorous military training he went for the officer's training. There also he came out with flying colours and made his parents happy. Hamid can still remember the day when, after the POP, he fixed the stars in his Lieutenant son's shoulder. It was such a proud moment for him!

Afzal's first posting was in the hilly regions of J&K. After some time, he spoke to Hamid telling that he would be coming home after the Independence Day. But alas! He never came on his first holiday. Just a day before he was about to leave for home, he was leading a patrolling party along the border. Suddenly they saw some intruders and challenged them. In the ensuing exchange of fire, he was badly injured and later succumbed to his injuries.

When Ali came in again, he saw his Grandpa still sitting in front of the trunk, tears flowing from his eyes.

Hamid went to Ali's school to attend the flag hoisting ceremony. He was surprised when he heard the headmaster calling his name as the proud father of a martyr and requesting him to hoist the flag. He went ahead with steady steps, hoisted the flag and shouted 'Jai Hind' with a firm voice.

Once again, his son had made him proud!
    The narration was really moving and it once again testifies the great sacrifice of security personnel at the border who give their lives to the Nation and our peace. What is more lovely depicted that Hamid who went to Ali's school to attend the flag hoisting ceremony was given the honor of hoisting the National flag. Kudos to the head master of the school thinking of that honor and I can understand the proud feeling of Hamid when he was unfurling our National flag which flies in full pride. Such narrations bring and build national pride in us and full marks to the author for penning such a wonderful content.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Oh boy! There is a glitch in the story.

What was the Lieutenant doing "leading a patrolling party across the border"?

"A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak" - Michael Garrett Marino

Juana, the same has been corrected to read as 'along the border'. Hope it is fine.
    Nomita, well narrated and it does prompt us to say 'Jai Hind'.

'Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance'- Confucius

Thank you Juana for pointing out the silly mistake which could otherwise, have proved to be a blunder. In future, I shall be more careful about the proper use of words.
    I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep.

Saji,
    Accept my sincere thanks for turning so beautifully, the controversial word into such a nice one with just a few strokes of your key-board.

I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep.

• Sign In to post your comments