You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Problems/Complaints

A confused Member humbly seeks clarification

Most respectfully I would like to state that I occassionally try to write articles in the great platform of ISC. Nowadays, I am trying to form my own style. I am now numbering the tips/suggestions in this manner:-
    "#1: Pronounce the words distinctly"; "#2: Speak the language with a native speaker", etc.

However, I have noted that some of these articles are being approved without any problem. However, a particular Editor (I don't know his/her name) is taking objection to this style and keeps my articles pending (which he/she reviews) asking me to change the style mentioned above.

As a totally confused man, I have become much more confused by the action of this Editor. Is there any objection in this specific style by the ISC administration? If not, then why does the particular Editor raise objection in this style?

Kindly clear my confusion in this regard.

'Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance'- Confucius

Yes. The following article has been approved without any objection:-
    http://www.indiastudychannel.com/resources/172197-Best-ways-to-learn-to-communicate-in-a-foreign-language-in-three-months.aspx
    The following article has been kept pending because of the style:-
    http://www.indiastudychannel.com/resources/172229-Seven-essential-financial-tasks-for-single-mothers.aspx
    (After the objection, I changed the style.)
    The following article had been sent to 'pending' because of the same objection. It was approved when I changed my style:-
    http://www.indiastudychannel.com/resources/172151-Best-Ways-to-Adjust-in-Workplace-by-a-Fresher.aspx

Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

Mr Partha, I have put up your problem to the concerned panel. Please wait for a response. And regrading me being derogatory (I didn't mean to, though), don't you think your thread itself is so?

I honestly raised this thread because I was really confused. When one Editor raises objection on the style adopted by me, others cleared articles with the same style. Why and how is the thread derogatory?

Yes, you can use such a style. There is no hard and fast rule (as informed by our WM) for such things as long as these do not affect page ranking.

If you find such a style of writing fetches good organic traffic for your articles, then there are no issues. You can continue writing in that style.

-----------------
    Thanks & Regards
    Kalyani

Thanks Ms. Kalyani for the clear guidance. So, in future, if any Editor raises objection on this style, I would refer to your clarification. Sincere thanks.

Partha,
    Editing article is one of the most complex task in ISC. Depending on many many factors we need to decide what modifications are needed. In fact, we also need to follow Google/AdSense guidelines too, hence based on the contents and traffic potentiality, we may either make it pending for modifications to make it near to perfection, or simply approve it. In fact, we also may not submit the article to Google. So if previously was approved, that doesn't mean that it will always be accepted, and previous articles also may face re-evaluation based on the need.

Once approved, then also articles may face re-evaluation for Google/AdSense compliance, and other factors, due to frequent changes in algorithms. So, the best practice in your case is, don't follow whatever style of formatting you want, instead use UL/OL and LI tags, for the long term compliance.

Regards,
    Sultan.
    Lead Editor - Articles,
    Managing Award Crediting

If success is 1, then its definite that you're starting from Zero!

Partha
    Please note that Google keeps changing its algorithms (the formula that it uses for ranking web pages) from time to time and we need to comply with it for better page ranking.

-----------------
    Thanks & Regards
    Kalyani

Editors: I humbly submit that I don't know anything about 'organic traffic', etc. Kindly let me know whether I should give numberiing in the manner which I mentioned, or not.

Partha,
    Kindly use UL/OL and LI tags for bullets and numbering for long term compliance.

Regards,
    Sultan.
    Lead Editor - Articles,
    Managing Award Crediting

If success is 1, then its definite that you're starting from Zero!

Partha,
    Please refer this:
    http://www.indiastudychannel.com/help/2738.aspx

Mr. Ankit: Please understand the question which I have asked in this thread. I have now got the answer. Now I am clear that the Editors are themselves not clear about the issue.

The Article section LE has given you a clear response to make use of HTML tags for creating lists. I just augmented that response by giving the link of ISC page which helps you with the HTML code.

If there is a confusion, I suggest you go by the answer given by the LE of that section. Before Sultan I was the LE of that section, I too never allowed any other type of listing except the HTML lists. Please make use of that only.

Then how do you explain the response of Ms. Kalyani? I have undersood what is required to be understood. Now I don't want to prolong the discussion.

Partha
    When such an issue crops up, editors bring it to the notice of WM and approve the article on getting green signal from him.

Initially your article was sent to pending state because of the use of '#' and ':' in the paragraph headings. You raised this thread and requested to clarify your doubt. The articles were approved after the editors had discussed with the WM on this issue.

And accordingly I responded to the thread. FYKI, I learnt article editing from Ankit Sinha - the then Lead Editor of the section (the one who responded here in this thread) and I do follow what I learnt from him.

A sincere suggestion - it is always better to follow the instructions of the editor, make necessary corrections when an article is sent to pending status and resubmit. There will be slight variations in editing of one editor to the other. In case of genuine doubts, the editors are ever ready to clarify.

Please take this suggestion with true spirit and let's close the matter here with no further issues.

-----------------
    Thanks & Regards
    Kalyani

"In case of genuine doubts, the editors are ever ready to clarify."-The comments of Mr. Saji Ganesh in this thread amply prove this statement.

Now the present thread can be locked.

This is not to be judgemental on the matter discussed. But just to quote my experience.

I was also using my own system of listing in my articles. But I was guided by editor to use the UL/ OL and LI tags as relevant. (of course keeping the article pending and incorporating the reason and needed rectification there).
    I complied and found that giving better orderly look than my previous way. The HTML tags as advised have the automatic space adjustment etc and gives certain harmony and homogeneity to the applied portion.

For those who are not experts in web content posting and periodical changes in Google rating and cataloguing, I feel it is convenient and easy to follow the guidance given by the concerned editors. Sometimes it may involve a bit of unlearning or adapting to something new contradicting the previous instructions.

Mr. Venkiteswaran: This thread was raised by me to clear a genuine doubt. A particular style adopted by me in writing articles has been cleared by some Editors and is not being cleared by a particular Editor. So, I wanted to know the exact position. It was a genuine query. I didn't have slightest intention to create any controversy.

After receiving different types of responses in this thread, now I am completely confused in respect of this issue. However, I have now decided not to use the style at least for the time being.

Furthermore, I would like to state very clearly that I don't understand Google search, SEO, etc. I write when I feel like writing. These things are Greek and Latin to me. So, I request all Members (Editors included) not to discuss these issues with me. I don't understand the importance.

Partha,
    Your statement is something like "I want to ride a boat but don't want to learn boating." Do learning a few new things sound such a waste to you?
    When you write on ISC a large part of requirements that come with blogging become redundant, but still, a few requirements remain from an aesthetical and technical perspective that needs to be followed. The ones that come to the top of my mind are:
    1. Good topic where you can add something unique from yourself and not repeat just what is repeated at many other sources.
    2. Good formatting which means using bullet lists, highlighting headings using header tags, use of images if possible, proper grammar, spellings and punctuations and finally, proper breaks between paragraphs.
    3. There main sections - Introduction, main content and the conclusion.

If you can't follow even the very basics of online writing then there is no use to spend time writing content which is not going to be read by anyone.

[Response removed by Admin. Read forum policies.]

You are welcome Mr.Partha

Partha
    Please note that Ankit's response is very much relevant as you mentioned about your own / creative style of numbering. And he gave good tips on article writing which are helpful for the aspiring authors.

And one more thing, in your response # 605957, you mentioned that you write when you feel like writing. That's fine. But also understand that a writer will get encouraged to write more when there are good number of readers to his / her articles. Readers play a key role in bringing out the best from the authors.

Once again I sincerely suggest you to take everything in the right spirit.

-----------------
    Thanks & Regards
    Kalyani

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.