You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Have you ever seen a flower that changes its colour?

Have you ever seen a flower that changes its colour depending on the period of the day? It is the Land Lotus (Sthala Padma) that grows in abundance in the countryside of West Bengal and may be in many other states.

The flower when it blooms in the morning, is white. In the afternoon, the colour of the flower changes to pink and by the evening of the same day, it turns into red. The red flower remains on the plants for several days before it dies.
    The plant looks beautiful when the three distinct colours appear on the same bush simultaneously.

Since I am not aware whether any such type of flower grows in other parts of our country, I have raised this thread.

Do you also have any such flower in your area that changes its colour? If yes, Please write about it so that other members can also know.
    I have seen this flower in my native place only. Our country is vast and I have not travelled every nook and corner of it. Hence, I wanted to know from the knowledgeable members whether this kind of flower is found in any other part of our country.. But I am yet to get a reply from the learned members.
    I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep.

Frankly speaking for the first time I am coming across the fact about Land Lotus (Sthala Padma) flower and its color changing features. It seems to quite interesting. I suggest the author to write a article in detail with images of such flowers with changing colors in the morning, afternoon and evening so that it remains in our data base for the benefits of members and net users. From this submission, it is quite clear that Indian is having rarest of rare flowers and species to which we are not having any information or details. Such flowers has to be highlighted through the articles in our resource section.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

I have not come across such colour changing flower and am hearing it for the first time. It is really an amazing thing to see such a flower oneself.

In the nature there are many surprises and many amazing things we may not be aware of. It is through the exchange of knowledge through these forums that we get to know about such things.

Knowledge is power.

These creepers are called Marathi Madhava in the South and grow wild. These are mostly grown across the gate in the houses.
    -----------------
    Thanks & Regards
    Kalyani

Find the image below.
    -----------------
    Thanks & Regards
    Kalyani

Delete Attachment

Kalyani,

It is also known as Rangoon Creeper. When in bloom the creeper looks wonderful. The flowers have a strong fragrant smell. Nowadays, there are dwarf varieties available at plant nurseries. They grow like a bush, rather than a creeper. It is one of my favourite plants, from my childhood. A house near where I stayed had this climbing over a trellis on the gate.

"A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak" - Michael Garrett Marino

Kalyani,

The flower I am talking about is much bigger in size with petals growing in rows like a lotus or rose. It is also called confederate rose. I couldn't post a picture of the flower since I don't know how to do it. However, you can search it in the google by the name land Lotus.

Regards,

Right Juana, it's also called Rangoon Creeper and have strong fragrance. These grow wildly and look beautiful. And ya, they grow bushy with woody stem like shrubs.

Nomita, on reading your description I thought you are talking about 'malathi madhava' flowers. Anyway nice to know about 'sthala padma' from your post. Regarding image search, you can click on Google Images and type the keywords i.e 'sthala padma' flower or 'malati madhava' flowers in the search box. That's it, you find number of images in display. The one which you think is the appropriate image (of course not copyright protected), you can download the image on your desktop / laptop and then attach the same by clicking 'Choose File' option which you find below the 'response' box.

Hope it's clear to you now.

And here is the image of 'sthala padma' flower. I think this is the one you mentioned about.

-----------------
    Thanks & Regards
    Kalyani

Delete Attachment

Kalyani,
    Yes, I had been talking about this flower. It looks so beautiful when flowers of all the three colours adorn the same plant!

• Sign In to post your comments