You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Do we work more during holidays?

I have noted that during week days, our work is more or less well-defined. We know what we are required to do in the morning. We complete these tasks in the morning before going to our respective working places. We return from office, have our evening tea and again perform some well-defined tasks. Under normal circumstances, we don't do any extra work during the week days. We keep all the new tasks for weekly holidays.

On the other hand, we don't have any well-defined work schedule on Saturdays and Sundays. We may remain in bed for another extra one hour or so (not true in my own case though), we first complete all the pending tasks. Thereafter, we perform the usual tasks of holidays (weekly marketing, visiting banks, purchasing books and stationeries for children, etc.). In some cases, the maids and cooks take leave on Sundays. So, the cleaning and cooking are also required to be done by us.

As a result of all these activities, I go to be bed at Sunday nights being much more tired than usual. What is the experience of other Members in this regard?
    Holiday is relax day if you want to work on holiday then do home related work and physical activities instead of official work. Home works is to refresh our body and relax . Official work will generate idea in mind that holiday is being waste.
    Santosh Kumar Singh
    (Sr. Microsoft Dynamics Axapta Technical,Mumbai)

I ensure that I will get more free time on holidays. I get up as usual. I complete all daily works in the morning and then go and sit before the tv and see programs on tv till evening. In between If I feel sleepy i go for sleep for some time. Saturday I complete all pending works and sunday is full rest for me
    drrao
    always confident

For me I forget all my office works once reached home and like wise when I am in office, home issues wont be discussed or disturbed. Therefore my Sundays are free from office works and pressures and purely with family.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Generally it depends on type of job a person is doing in the office. If the job is manual type then he will be habitual of doing manual jobs and will not feel tired on holidays even by doing some manual jobs in the house.

At the same time if a person is sitting in the office doing paper work he will be habitual of doing this and his capacity of doing manual work will decrease. Due to this he will feel tired even after doing little manual work in his house.

Knowledge is power.

According to me I never mingle office work and home thoughts on any account in each place. I totally forget home thoughts once I enter into the office and I left all my office problems at the entrance of the office itself when crossed the same. I have been told once by an friend of mine. Once he was on leave for some illness and an electrician was came to his house on a call from his son for some repair work in the house. The electrician as known to him also, asked whether he was on leave. He nodded his head and was watching something in computer. The electrician smiled and told why did not take rest as he took leave from office and again work as if in office. Like this, we should not do office work in home as well think of home while in office

My thread sought to know whether we have to work more on holidays, or not. I didn't mean to indicate office work. There are many other tasks which we have to perform outside office work.
    Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

My suggestion to the author is to keep the work out of bounds on Sundays, which should be purely for the family and entertaining purpose, otherwise children would miss us terribly.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Yes, we have to do more work on holidays in comparison to other normal working days. Since we do them willingly, we never think them to be work.

Our routine throughout the week-days remains almost the same and there is no variation. We are quite accustomed to that routine.

However, during week-days so many personal tasks like meeting friends or relatives, buying things for personal use or for family, getting our vehicles repaired or over-howled and so and so come before us which we prefer to postpone for the holidays.

When the holidays come, we find chores of tasks are waiting for us and we need to complete them without any further delay.

Thus, our holidays are holidays for name's sake only but they keep us engaged more than any other normal working day.
    I think it happens not to me alone but almost to everybody.

I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep.

As at present I am not in employment, Sundays does not make much difference to me. In fact Sundays are more boring now, as in my place Sunday is almost a closed day for all offices and even most shops. The auto rickshaw stand will have far less autorikshaw, buses will not have their usual number of schedules. So it is more or less a lazy day in my place nowadays.

But when I was employed, Sundays were the most hectic of all days. I had sometime earlier mentioned in a post that "My Sundays were sold" then. A lot of things would be kept earmarked for Sunday or holiday. So on a Sunday we have to get up even earlier than the normal working day. Most social visits used to be kept scheduled for a Sunday. Visiting a distant temple, park, eating out, visiting friends and relatives' home, or their visiting us - so much to be done on Sundays.

So when I was employed Sundays and holidays used to be most busy and most productive. Though we would be more tired than normal days, that did not bother us because there was no monotony or stereotype in those. The tiredness made us actually get refreshed. If the holidays are festival days then they were really enjoyable in a different way. However,holidays and Sundays were loved because all the family members will be able to spend more time together.

• Sign In to post your comments