You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Requests

Question regarding B tags

I want a clarification on the use of 'b' tags in the article section. I have come to understand that only five 'b' tags are permissible in the said section.

• What does this rule of five 'b' tags constitute?
    • Is a phrase enclosed within one tag counted as a single use of the tag or do the numbers of words within the tag also count?
    • Is there a restriction on the number of words within each of these 5 tags?

Say, I use 2 words in a 'b' tag, for example – 'Well done'.

• Will this mean that I have exhausted two 'b' tags?
    • Will this mean that I can place only 3 more words within 'b' tags within an article or does it mean that I can use four more 'b' tags?
    Juana
    Normally b tags are not allowed in the articles. Honestly, I don't know the exact reason. (I think for SEO).

However, an author can use these for highlighting certain words (not necessarily keywords) which should not exceed five i.e five words in an article and not five sentences or phrases (which comprise of several words).

However, there are exceptions and at times the author is allowed to use b tags for an entire phrase (not sentence) with more than 5 words in it.

So far to my knowledge, it's not necessary (from SEO point of view or page index) to use b tags.

If you are very particular about using b tags, please let me know so that I can inform WM Tony about it and with his green signal, your articles will be approved with such b tags.

-----------------
    Thanks & Regards
    Kalyani

Kalyani,

Yes, please, I'd like that. I would prefer to have an understanding of things rather than blindly following the instructions. I have no issues removing the tags, but I want to understand how their use affects my work. Getting a response from the Webmaster would provide me with a better understanding of SEO.

Another point is that I have been using the tags for a while now, and it is only with the recent set that I have been asked to limit their use. As in the following article.
    9 characteristic personality traits of great bosses.

"A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak" - Michael Garrett Marino

Juana, I have informed WM Tony. Hope he will respond here soon.
    -----------------
    Thanks & Regards
    Kalyani

There is no hard and fast rule on the number of times <B> tags can be used. Traditionally, <B> tags have been abused by bloggers and webmasters to highlight certain words and make Google rank the same page for those keywords. Over a period of time, people started abusing this, making too many words highlighted, making the page less readable.

A couple of years ago, Google introduced a penalty for abusing such tags. That made all webmasters to stop using those tags completely to be on the safer side and avoid penalties.

Our all time policy is, do not abuse <B> tags to cheat Google. If you need to use <B> tag for a valid reason to highlight a certain term to make people pay attention to it or to make readers think that the particular keyword/phrase/sentence is more important, then go ahead and use it.

There is no rule that only 5 bold tags are allowed. It all depends on how you use it, why you use it, what is the overall length of the content and so on.

Consider it like adding spices to the curry. Some people like no spices, some people like moderate spices and some people may like a bit more spicy food. But nobody will add spices equal to the quantity of the main ingredients. As long as they are within the reasonable limits, it is fine to use it.

regards,
    Tony John
    Webmaster - IndiaStudyChannel.com

[Response removed by Admin. Read forum policies.]

Thank you, Webmaster, for the explanation.

I use the bold tags only to highlight links that I insert for 'Recommended Reading'. I put Recommended Reading in the bold tag, followed by a link to an article.

My articles, most of which are over 1000 words in length were put in the pending section, with comments that said that more than 5 bold tags were not allowed –

"Comments from Editors: Use of b tag for more than 5 words is not allowed." For this article - Characteristics of good parenting vs. bad parenting.

"A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak" - Michael Garrett Marino

• Sign In to post your comments