You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

RBI brings new Rs. 200/- currency note today

Today Reserve Bank of India (RBI) is going to bring new Rs. 200/- notes in the market. The new currency notes will have the motif of famous Sanchi Stupa on the reverse side of the note. This would depict India's rich cultural heritage. The colour of the note will be bright yellow and the dimension is 66mm x 146 mm. For visually impaired people, the new note will have raised printing of Mahatma Gandhi portrait and Ashoka Pillar emblem. The new currency note will carry the signature of present RBI Governor, Mr. Urijit Patel.

However, I am curious to know whether this is the first time the Government is bringing currency note of Rs. 200/- denomination, or not. Has any Member seen Rs. 200/- notes earlier (in India)? Senior Members may kindly reply.
    We should appreciate the decision of the government to introduce Rs. 200/- currency notes. Now we are with 1 -2 -5-10-50-100-200-500-1000-2000 currency denomination for easy handling of money. The gap has been filled by the Rs. 200/- currency note. I expected this, but not this soon.
    No life without Sun ¤

Mr. SuN: Nowadays there is no currency of Rs. 1000/- denomination. So introduction of Rs. 200/- currency has become important.

But my question is: Was there Rs. 200/- note earlier? Has any Member seen old Rs. 200/- note?

Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

First of thanks to share latest information about Rs 200 notes. I recently read this news , I think that this note may be more helpful to everyone to handle the situation which come from high value notes.
    Phagu
    Success occurs when opportunity and preparation meet.

Yes for the first time India is going to experience the two hundred rupee currency note which was not available either too and we were restricted to have 10, 20, 50, 100, 500, 1000 rupees notes of previous regime and now 10, 20, 50, 100. 200, 500, and 2000 rupee notes. What I suggest that the gap between 500 and 2000 is more and if the government also considers the issue of new currency in the denominations of 800 and 1400, that would be very helpful to the trading community as handing cash with 100, 200 and 500 would be becoming difficult and the circulation of 2000 notes is slowly withdrawn.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Another necessary information in this regard which I forgot to mention: Rs. 200/- currency notes will not be initially available at ATMs.
    Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

I am only 19 right now and in these 19 years of my life, I never saw or heard of 200 currency note. So, as per my information this is for the first time that our country will have 200 denomination. This note will fill the gap between 100 and 500 note. I also read some where that government is going to introduce new 50 rupees currency note.
    Has anyone heard the same about 50 rupees new note?

No earlier times no Rs. 200/- note. This is for the first time I am hearing about Rs.200/- note. It is good to have Rs.200/- note as there is a big gap between 500 and 2000 notes. If we have to get Rs.2000/- note change one has to give 20 numbers of Rs.100/- notes which is getting very difficult. so it is a welcome decision to bring in Rs.200/- note. I am feeling that slowly Rs.2000/- notes will disappear from the market. It is not advisable to keep more 2000/- notes in the house. It may be withdrawn at anytime by Government.
    drrao
    always confident

The need of 200 rupee notes was widely debated during the demonetisation period since November 2016, when there was shortage of smaller denomination notes as people were thrust with Rs 2000 denomination notes, and there was a dearth of 500 rupee notes coming back into circulation.

Rs 200 note is welcome as a strategy to restrict and disadvantage the fake note makers and also as a middle path between high denomination notes and small denomination notes to help general people.

It will be a pleasant surprise to know that about an year ago an ISC member had a doubt why the government is not issuing 200 rupees notes. It will be interesting to read SUN's response to that thread.

It will also be interesting to know that smart ISCians(including our dear K Mohan) recommended printing of notes of 200 and 300 as early as in 2011 in this thread.

They can feel proud that their wish and predictions have come true to some extent that now 200 rupee note is a reality.

• Sign In to post your comments