You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Olympics

Can you identify this great but unlucky Olympian?

I used to play hockey. I donned India colour at a very early age. I am considered an all-time great, may be the greatest centre-half in hockey the world has ever produced. I played for Bengal. I won three Olympic gold medals in a row. But unfortunately luck deserted me when I became captain of the Indian hockey team in the sacred city of my religion. That is the first time India missed the hockey gold in Olympics. My team lost to Pakistan in the final. I was awarded Padmashree in 1971.

After my retirement I tried to prepare one of my sons as my worthy successor. He did become my successor. He donned India colour at a very early age of 18. His game was praised by all when the performance of the team was dismal. But again luck deserted me. My son, my worthy successor died in a motobike accident just after returning from the World Cup.

Till the fag end of my life, I tried improve the infrastructure of hockey of Calcutta where I lived since I was 18. I tried my level best to resist the deterioration of hockey in Calcutta.

I left this mortal world in December, 2012 in my 'City of Joy', Calcutta.

Do you recognise me? Do you recognise this unlucky Olympian? If yes, send your reply to p.kansabanik1967@yahoo.co.in
    Yes, I know whom you have described in your post. But, to call him an unlucky Olympian is being too melancholic. Let us celebrate his victories and achievements. His wins had nothing to do with luck, so why attribute his loss in a game to bad luck. His son's passing away was not bad luck. It was an accident.

Honour the man's memory for his successes, instead of bemoaning failures and making them take centre stage. Frankly, I do not like a legend being referred to as an 'unlucky Olympian'.

"A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak" - Michael Garrett Marino

Ms. Juana: I met this great player in 1991, in connection with a charity hockey match. Even while discussing about the match, he lamented India's loss in Rome. He also talked about his son's untimely demise.

I also had the chance to visit the archives of the Statesman ( a very famous newpaper published from Calcutta). I saw the devastation of this great player when he returned to India after Rome (from the paper-clippings). He used to think himself an unlucky player. He could never forget that India missed gold for the first time under his captainship.

But no doubt, he was a legendary hockey player who made India proud. My respect to this great player.

Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

Instead of putting us with quiz mode, the author could have come up with more details of the great Olympian and that could have been great tribute to his caliber. Nevertheless I am eager to know who was that ?
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Mr. Mohan: No further detail is required. You can check the internet also to get the information.

Unfortunately I have not received any response. This proves our attitude towards hockey. I will announce the result by 12 noon today. Members can send their reply to my e-mail id till then and post responses informing me about the e-mails sent by them.

Partha, I hope I have sent you my answer within time.

The luck play a big part in our life and so in sports. However, I would not keep him in "unlucky" player list. How many of our hockey players has got 3 GOLD and 1 Silver in their lifetime? So, whatever he has achieved was remarkable. Loss and win are the part and parcel of the game for that sports-person knows how to take it.

However, I must admit that I needed to Google his details. Though, I am a sports lover and keep an eye to most of the game but I was not aware of him was something I am feeling embarrassing. I didn't know the person who belong to my state.

Thanks for your post Partha.

Now it's time to announce the result.

The answer is: Leslie Walter Claudius, the greatest centre-half player the hockey world has ever produced. He won three golds and one silver for India in the Olympics. He and Udham Singh are the only two hockey players who played four Olympics for India.

Now it's time to announce the winner. Although Ms. Juana stated that she knew the answer, she has not sent me any e-mail. I have received the answer only from Mr. Jeets and the answer is correct.

So, I declare Mr. Jeets as the winner of the contest. I am sending him his gift.

Partha, I feel I can't be tagged as a winner because I had to Google his name. However, once again thanks for your post and the gift.

Mr. Jeets: You took the trouble of finding the name of the great player. I haven't found others making any effort. So, you are the winner of the contest.

So far as hockey is concerned, we only know the name of Dhyan Chand and think that he is the beginning and the end of Indian hockey. We simply forget that India have produced many more hockey greats during fifties, sixties till mid-seventies. Earlier I raised a thread on Roop Singh, brother of Dhayn Chand and the world-record holder of scoring 10 goals in an international match. I will raise similar posts on other greats of Indian hockey.

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.