You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Festivals

Onam started with Athachamayam procession.

"Atham pathinu ponnonam". This is a statement famous among Keralites, which means Onam is on the tenth day after Atham. Today is the asteric Atham in the month Chingam. Hence on tenth day from today is the famous Onam (asteric Thiruvonam). Today, this day is celebrated at Thripunithura, the suburban town of Kochi. That town was the Capital of ex-Kochi Raja. The function there is known as "Atha chamayam". A procession through the streets of that town is a picturesque one. Lots of people dressed in different forms, caparisoned elephants, horse riders, different classical dance forms, kathakali forms and several others join the procession. The whole town will have short term traders with their products exhibited.
    Actually there is a history behind this. It is a reminder of a procession starting from Kochi Raja's head quarters to Thrikkakara where the Lord Vishnu's temple is situated and the festival at the temple celebrations start today.
    The festival Onam is very famous in Kerala. I am thinking that this is a one day festival. But today with this thread that it is not a one day festival. Last year I was in kochi in my brother's house in the month of October. We have visited Tripunitara temple and there was a very good procession there on that day. Many elephants were decorated and started walking through the streets. Many local ladies dressed in their customs and different musicians and priests going in a line after the temples. We got lot of liking for the procession. My wife got delighted to see so many elephants that to very well decorated. I think it is customary in Kerala to have elephants in all temples and having a procession on important days and festivals. It is a big delight to the eyes these processions.
    drrao
    always confident

Onam is not a one day celebration. In olden days three or four days programmes used to be there. Thiruvonam day is most important. Uthradam, Thiruvonam, Avittam and Chathayam ( These are the names of asterics of these days) are the days of celebration. However the elephants and the processions take place only at Thrippunithura.
    Elephants play a major role in temple festivals of Kerala. Thrissur pooram is the most famous festival where 15 elephants will be arranged in a row on one side and another 15 facing the first row on the other side. This festival attracts thousands of people including foreigners.

T.M.Sankaran
    Gold Member ISC

Good that the author has shared further information about the Onam festivities and that is a tutorial for those who does not know this traditional festival in detail. I was eagerly waiting for Sept 4th as most of my Malayalee friends have invited us for the grand festive food called Onam Sadhya. I like the food preparations which are made with coconut oil and the Avial , which is the mixture of all vegetable curry is the highlight. My daughter is also bracing up to celebrate this festival at her college for the first time and wear the traditional Onam saree and have all kinds of festive integrity with her Malayalam Friends and that would be great day to enjoy.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

• Sign In to post your comments