You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Practice and preach. It is the best way.

Nowadays in social media and other places many people post very good postings. They talk about all good practices,ethics,moral values and so many other things. If really these are followed by all this world will be a different place altogether. But telling is very easy,practicing is difficult. How many of us practice and preach instead of only preaching. Many people say, do what I say,but don't do what I do. I think it is not a correct approach.
    Once a lady came to Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa with her son. She requested the Guru to advise her son not to eat jaggery. The Guru asked her to bring her son after 7 days. She came after 7 days with her son and Guru advised him accordingly. That lady out of her curiosity asked Guru why he has taken 7 days to advise her son. The Guru replied that he was also having the habit of eating jaggery. While he was having the habit of doing that, he should not advise hisson. So these seven dayshe practiced this and then He advised her son. I feel everybody should follow the same. Don't advise without following.
    Very truly said that: "We should practice what we preach". It's a very popular idiom which we have been taught since schools.

How easy it is to advise people what to do and what not do. But we fail many times in implementing things that we advise others to do. There is one more proverb which I can somewhat relate to this though it is not entirely of this context, it says "Remove the log from your eye then you can clearly see the speck in other's eye"

Pieces of Advice given out of personal experiences are the best ones as there are very rare chances of hypocrisy.

A very good thread indeed. It is true we don't always practice what we preach to others. May be due to habit or compulsion, we often forget to follow what we preach.

Great men like Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa, the spiritual Guru of the great saint Swami Vivekananda and many others have taught us the realities of life in a very simple way.

Even if we read their biographies and try to understand the messages they had tried to give the common people, our lives would be changed.

However, we are so much absorbed in the rat-race of this materialistic world that we have no time to heed to some good advice! We can only preach but not follow.

I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep.

But many preachers who preach us in different platforms in Televisions and Outside they will only tell that many of us will preach but we will not practice that.Once in my college days, there was an English Sir name Yesudas he told in church on Sundays they will preach many good things like don't eat meat, drink wine etc.but as soon as the speech is over they immediately buy a chicken and bottle of wine......
    A blunt knife or rusted knife can't be useful for anything just for the sake we call it as the knife similar to PayTM series or Sachin or Virat records.

In Tamil there is a saying " Palavum katru adharku pin thaga " that means one must learn every thing , that implies that education and knowledge are the ocean and learning is the continued process and during which we are bound to learn many new things which may force us to advise others. But before advising it is better through the process of that advise and that would be the befitting advise to others. The example given by the author amply substantiates the fact that those who preach must also follow the same first. But elders and greats of those days are having first hand information and knowledge about anything out of their learning and capacity to know things as advised by others and by virtue of it they would preach others. One thing is sure when some thing is new is told even by a child, it should be taken with greater stride and cannot be set aside that he his not fit enough to preach you at that age.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

All of us know that practising is an effective way of preaching. But very few of us bother to follow this century-old proverb. This is simply because of the fact that preaching is easy, practising is not.
    Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

From the author's post first line, I will simply say even people dont preach, they just forward without even reading the content and then how can we expect them to practice?
    Nice to be in ISC and feel the difference.

A very nice thread by the author. I fully agree that preaching has no value if the preacher himself is not practicing those things.

There are people who do not preach but practice good deeds in their life. They are having the real human values and they are in fact the real saints or sages.

We must learn from those wonderful people whose silence is much more effective than our speech. As truly said speech is silver but silence is gold.

There are people who on the name of preachings cheating the gullible public. They are minting money by exploiting the faith of people. We should be careful of such rascals who simply preach but practice the opposite.

Knowledge is power.

• Sign In to post your comments