You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Cricket

Cricketers and their female fans

My grandfather and his elder brother watched the first test cricket match held in Eden Gardens, Calcutta way back in 1934. They came from Dist. Faridpur (now in Bangladesh) and from Rangoon (now Yangon) to Calcutta to watch this test match. My father was a regular spectator in Eden during fifties and early sixties. I first got the opportunity to enjoy test cricket in majestic Eden in 1978 when I just crossed 11. From my elders I have heard that fan following and use of placard for cricketers have been witnessed even before independence.

During the first phase of Indian test cricket, Vijay Merchant, Mustaq Ali and Lala Amarnath were immensely popular among ladies. During the fifties, Dattu Fadkar, Bapu Nadkarni, Prabir Sen were very popular among women spectators. During sixties and early seventies, Mansoor Ali Khan Pataudi, Abbas Ali Baig and EAS Prasanna and Faroukh Engineer had huge fan followings. Gopal Bose, the bespectacled opener of Bengal, was also very popular. In late seventies, Sandeep Patil was a very popular cricketer. Placards which were objectionable from the point of view of standard of those ages could be regularly seen in the stadia.

So, placards expressing love for cricketers is not a new phenomenon. The regular spectators have been witnessing this for for last eighty years or so.
    Nice and timely thread by Partha. I hope this thread will give some knowledge to those members who just jump to post thread with their "half baked" knowledge.

Very nicely given the names of various cricketers of yesteryear who had lot of fan following especially lady fans. India is a country where there is lot of liking for cricket. In 1970s I used to hear commentary in a radio with one of my female friend. We both used to discuss about this game. Some words which we are not able to understand were referred through dictionaries. Those times Sunil Gavaskar and Gundappa were on their best. Pataudi was the captain. Imran Khan of Pakisthan used to have many female fans in India also. Many Pakistan players used to have many fans in India those days.
    The play cards were known from those days. But not very popular because TVs were not there. Many people used to hear radios only. But now the trend is different.

drrao
    always confident

Some people do not know how to argue. These all things everybody knows there is nothing new in it.
    A blunt knife or rusted knife can't be useful for anything just for the sake we call it as the knife similar to PayTM series or Sachin or Virat records.

Many males enjoy songs with double meaning and which are sensuous. Do we blame all males for this?
    Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

Wonderful thread Mr. Partha, glad to see that yes people are speaking up and not stereotyping every woman.

It is not about some people or one people, it is our mind which thinks differently and argue.

If we find that the dress of any person (male or female) is not decent, we should teach our next generation not to follow such trend. The teaching should be subtle and must not be imposing. If we find any placard on cricket grounds not tasteful, we must ensure that our next generation doesn't make this type of placard. Who are we to comment on others' dress or taste? Only such dress or attire must be checked which may cause security problem. This is purely from the point of view of security.

I wonder what some Members (a particular Member) would do if they/he visit(s) Australian/West Indian cricket grounds and note how men and women watch cricket there!

Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

Partha, forget about Foreign country, ask him to visit Goa itself. If his mind can tolerant and learn something that will be really great.

Since members have got their point across & had their say, this thread's discussion will end here. Please do not create more offshoots of this topic now.
    When people come at you with their worst, you should come at them with your best (advice given to Selena Gomez by her mother, quoted in Time magazine.)

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.