When the fate is like that even in small rains why to mention specially about heavy rains and cyclones. Untimely rains will spoil the crops. Government will announce special financial help to them. Only 25% will reach the effected remaining 75% will be routed in a different route. Where it will go is known to everybody. We a the tax payers will suffer as usual without any solution to our problems.
A blunt knife or rusted knife can't be useful for anything just for the sake we call it as the knife similar to PayTM series or Sachin or Virat records.
'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
Even this challenging situation would ease
When the monsoon rainfall begins, it brings smile in the faces of the farmers as most of them still depend on rain to sow their crops. However, heavy rainfall causes many problems in rural as well as urban areas. The low lying areas go down under water, the rivers overflow increasing chances of flash flood and the dangers of avalanches increases in hilly areas.
In urban areas, people face the problems of water-logged roads, traffic jams, chocking of drains causing dirty water flow on the roads and even entering into the houses and many such other problems.
I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep.
Great thread the author has started. Oscar Wilde has said: " There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants and the other is actually getting it".
His quote is very apt for rains in India especially the major metros. Daily we read of people praying for rains so that they can get enough water for the dams, lakes, irrigation etc even going to the point of cloud seeding. Alas when the first major downpour happens, overnight "Life comes to a standstill" and every media output shows images of widespread damage, loss of property and sadly loss of a life. Recently in the Mumbai downpours a doctor sadly lost his life by slipping into a open manhole.
Having firsthand experience of such major downpours being in Bangalore, what happens after rains is that
1. Water in puddles, small ponds or at time fill entire stretches of road from ankle deep to knee deep water.
2. Loss of electricity which is sporadic and unpredictable
3. Two wheelers half hazardly parked at every shelter along the roads blocking traffic
4. Four wheelers whizzing past throwing up huge sprays on water on the poor pedestrians and fellow travellers
5. Sudden hike in demand and fare price of cabs and autos.
6. Nature's fury often brings down hoardings, weak and old trees and electric poles
Next day we are sure to read about water getting into home of the unfortunate people who have invested their life's earning in their dream home that's built on a previous lakebed or and rapidly developing extension of the city.
People often blame the Rain God and many of us blame the infrastructure or lack of it. To the simplest of minds the easiest answer that we can think of is yes rains come and water has to drain via various means into the drains and ultimately reach larger storm drains. Here lies the complexity: there is simply no way for water to drain.
Every year, every season the same story repeats in the same places. I'm amazed that we cannot find a solution because I'm sure the money spent on repairing the damage from rains and disease would be far more than ensuring safe means of water drainage.
Now this can be done only by a true and genuine long term commitment from the people and the official machinery. Until this happens, the unfortunate common man has to suffer in silence!