You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Beyond supreme sacrifice: But Bengal and entire India have almost forgotten him (Part-I)

(We have heard about supreme sacrifice. But is there anything beyond supreme sacrifice? Let us know.)

8th December, 1930: Benoy Basu, Badal Gupta and Dinesh Gupta, three great sons of Mother India, entered Writers' Building in Calcutta in European attire and killed Lowman, the Inspector General of Police who was infamous for assassinating innocent people. The next target was Col. Simpson, the Inspector General of Prisons, who was infamous for the brutal oppression of the prisoners in jails. This part of the mission was also successfully achieved.

Police immediately arrived at Writers' Building from the adjacent Lalbazar, the headquarter of Bengal Police. In the ensuing gun-battle, the three young men were outnumbered and out-weaponed. When the ammunition was exhausted, Badal took Potassium cyanide pill and instantly died. Benoy and Dinesh were greiveously injured and captured by the police. Benoy, a student of medicine, himself made his wound more griveous and he died in the jail hospital. Dinesh survived and was sentenced to death by Justice Garlik . He was hanged to death on 7th July, 1931.

When people of India had been discussing the unbelievable feat of these three youth none of whom crossed 25 at the time of their death, the hero of this story, a physically weak, bespectacled man from a very poor traditional Bengali Brahmin family, very quietly entered the scene.

(..........Please read the story of this unsung hero in the next part: Beyond supreme sacrifice: But Bengal and entire India have almost forgotten him (Part-II))
    A story of young people who sacrificed their lives for the sake of the country. The story has been narrated very well by the author. We wait for the continuation of the story in the next thread. This incident is new to me and I never heard about these persons. I am happy to learn about the new freedom fighters through this thread. Thanks to the author.
    drrao
    always confident

I have also read about the three unsung heroes named Binoy Basu, Badal Gupta and Dinesh Gupta of pre-independent India and their great sacrifice. The three daredevils had entered into the Writers' Building, the center of power in Calcutta (now Kolkata) and killed Lowman, the notorious Inspector General of Police, and Col. Simpson, the Inspector General of Prisons, responsible for the atrocities made on the common people as well as for the brutal oppression of the prisoners in jails.
    Much after independence, the West Bengal Government honoured these heroes by changing the name of Esplanade, the famous city center of Kolkata as BIBADI (Stands for Binoy , Badal and Dinesh) Bagh.

I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep.

Ms. Mitra: This thread is not about Binoy-Badal-Dinesh, who are still well-known at least among Bengalis. This is regarding another hero, about whom very few Bengalis know. Please wait for the next part.
    Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

Thanks Sir and sorry for the interruption. Eagerly waiting for the next part.
    I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep.

Great information shared by the author and that proved that those who were working against the interest of the country and be it during British regime those three gallant warriors did create a niche for themselves and killed them and that is why we are even today also are remembering them.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Wonderfully described Mr. Partha, eagerly waiting for the next part!

• Sign In to post your comments