You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Beyond supreme sacrifice: But Bengal and entire India have almost forgotten him (Part-II)

[Contd. from: Beyond supreme sacrifice: But Bengal and entire India have almost forgotten him (Part-I)]

Dinesh Gupta was hanged to death on 7th July, 1931. Entire Bengal was in grief. But on that day, in a semi-dark room of a dilapidated building of Calcutta, a court hearing was going on. The heads of Bengal Volunteers, Anushilan Samiti and Jugantar, the three top-most revolutionary organisations, were presiding over the court proceedings. After detailed deliberations, the verdict was announced. Justice Garlik, the judge who had announced the death penalty of Dinesh, was sentenced to death. And our hero was chosen to carry out the death sentence.

The extremely weak, bespectacled, almost silent young man of 22 from a traditional priest family, methodically recce-d the places where the condemned judge used to visit. He was ready for action. But, along with this plan, he prepared another brilliant but simple plan, which he had kept secret even to the leaders of the revolutionary groups.

On 27th July, 1931, exactly 20 days after the hanging of Dinesh Gupta, our hero carried out the death sentence of Justice Garlik shooting him from close-range. After finishing all the bullets, he calmly checked the body and when he was sure about the death of his target, he uttered 'Vande Mataram' and consumed Potassium cyanide pill. He made the supreme sacrifice for Mother India.

But the story doesn't end here. When the police searched his body, they found a piece of paper in which it was written (in Bengali): ''Get destroyed. This is the punishment for awarding death sentence to Dinesh Gupta. Sd/- Bimal Dasgupta".

When the revolutionary leaders read the news in next day's newspaper, they were astonished! But this young man was not Bimal Dasgupta! Bimal Dasgupta, who had killed District Magistrate of Midnapore Mr. Paddy in 1930, was in hiding at that time. Then they understood! The police knew the name of Bimal Dasgupta but they didn't know his identity. This selfless young man, even at the time of his death, secured the life of a fellow-revolutionary, a comrade.

Today, very unfortunately, even we, the Bengalis have forgotten this selfless, courageous son of Mother India, Kanailal Bhattacharya, who was born at Jainagar-Majilpur of present South 24 Parganas of West Bengal in 1909.
    Got to know a completely new story of these heroes. It has definitely added to my knowledge.

I would like to make a small suggestion, if you could include a clickable link in the forum, it will be easier for people who haven't read the first part and likewise including the second link in the first part would also be helpful so that these two forums are interlinked and it doesn't break. Just a small suggestion.

One question out of curiosity is this included in the history books? How did you get to know about these heroes? Is it by word of mouth or by reading?

Either way thanks for sharing this knowledge with us.

Ms. Neethu: Thanks for reading these two long posts. I have implemented your suggestion. Actually, I always give link of other thread in all of my threads consisting of more than one part. This time I forgot.

A person who is born in the family of freedom fighters (both from paternal side and maternal side) gets to know about the great but unknown heroes since childhood. As I have special interest in History, I read about the great, unknown/lesser-known heroes with interest for more details and authenticity.

Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

Wow, so you do have a vast knowledge in history which our history books might lack.

History books don't lack the information; only the History books which we read in schools do not contain these facts. These facts have been systematically deleted from the History books taught in schools. As for example, the History books which we read in West Bengal during our school days, Benoy-Badal-Dinesh were prominently present. But nowadays, the School History books of West Bengal don't contain anything about them.
    Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

It is an education for me. I never knew about this great person, who killed an anti Indian and saved an Indian by killing himself. There were many people like this who sacrificed their lives for the sake of independence to this country. Alluri Sita Rama Raju was also a such person from Andhra Pradesh who fought with Britishers for the independence of the country.
    Unfortunately our history school books will never mention about these persons. The reason may be the relatives of these people are not in politics now. Al history books for students will contain only the names of a few people. To some extent some movies are showing some of the hidden heroes who fought for the country.
    Really a good post which has given us some chance to recollect many freedom fighters who lost their lives for the sake of the country.

drrao
    always confident

It's completely a new chapter of history to me. I have read and learnt about many daring acts of the members of the revolutionary organisations operating in Bengal during the pre-independence era but had never heard of such a selfless sacrifice.
    The name of such a hero should have been written in golden letters in the history of our country.

I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep.

• Sign In to post your comments