You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

He was no longer haunted by nightmares

He was born in a non-descript small town in Punjab. He lost his parents at a very early age and was shifted to an orphanage at an age of five. He grew up in the orphanage. He left India, visited many countries like Argentina, Brazil, Canada, the USA and finally settled in England. God was good to him. He even acted in two English block-busters, 'Elephant Boy' in 1937 and in 'The Four Feathers' in 1939. He was jovial with an enchanting smile. He was very popular in his community and also among the British. But there was a very small issue.

This handsome Sardar never celebrated Baisakhi festival. Not because he was living in foreign land-but because he never liked to celebrate. He used to shudder on that day. He used to see nightmares when others asked him to celebrate Baisakhi.

Finally he decided to get rid of his nightmares. He planned. The day was 13th March, 1940. The world war had started six months ago. Germany was creating havoc all over Europe. The great power of Great Britain was slowly crumbling. A meeting of East India Association was scheduled to be held at Caxton Hall in London.

The clean-shaven Sardar wore his best suit, wore his best pair of shoes and went to attend the meeting with his favourite book and his trademark disarming smile.

At Caxton Hall while the meeting was in progress, the man stood up from his seat, moved forward towards the dais, opened the book, took out a revolver and started shooting at a British seating on the podium.

Finishing all bullets, he walked up to the terrified guard with his disarming smile and reminded him of his duties.

The man, known as Frank Brazil @ Ram Mohammad Singh Azad was taken to Brixton jail. In the jail, he started fasting and continued for 36 days. Later he was force-fed with a tube.

The man was hanged to death after four months at Pentonville prison. But during his captivity, the nightmare never visited him. He was finally freed himself from the memory of the day of Baisakhi at Amritsar, when as a young man of 19 he had been serving water to the people who came to celebrate Baisakhi at a place named Jallianwala Bagh. There he had witnessed merciless killing of unarmed men, women and children by a demonic armed force led by Brigadier-General Reginald Dyer, endorsed by Sir Michael Francis O'Dwyer, the then Lieutenant-Governor of Punjab province.

This man, whom we know as Shahid-i-Azm Sardar Udham Singh, finally took his revenge after 21 long years killing Sir Michael Francis O'Dwyer, GCIE, KCSI, who endorsed the killing of more than one thousand innocent, unarmed men, women and children who had assembled to celebrate Baisakhi at Jallianwala Bagh.
    A great story. The person sacrificed his life for taking revenge on the man who brutally endorsed the killing of more than 1000 unarmed men, women and children who were celebrating their festival. A real hero. A great planning and very nice way of implementation. We rarely find those kind of people who are ready to sacrifice their lives for the sake of society and country.
    drrao
    always confident

The Jallianwala Bagh massacre was the most aggressive one, which took thousands of lives including all men, women and children. This story reminds us of how bravely the fighters fought for the freedom of our country. Its a really great story which tells that there are some people who are born with a big purpose and that they have to fulfill it. Until that is not fulfilled, they will keep getting different sort of reminders in life, in a different manner. At that time, it really used to happen. Some people really get some intuitions, when something is about to happen or if something is not going to go right. In that case one needs to understand the reason of its occurrence.
    A positive attitude will lead to positive results.

Nice write up on Shahid-i-Azm Sardar Udham Singh and I would request the author to please convert this thread into a article with further more adding details and that would be more beneficial to him and others to read.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

The courageous act of Shahid-i-Azm was strongly condemned by the future first Prime Minister of India. As a result, his dead body could not be exhumed and properly cremated.

His remains were brought back to India only in 1974. He was cremated at his birth place (Sunam in Patiala district of Punjab).

Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

The Jallianwala Bagh massacre was a blot on the British regime in India. Thousands of innocent men, women and children were killed in the massacre. The heinous act of General O' Dyer was condemned by one and all.
    On the fateful day of April 13, 1919, thousands of innocent people had assembled at Jallianwala Bagh, Amritsar on the occasion of Baisakhi when all the gates of the garden were blocked and the British Indian Army, under the command of General O' Dyer opened fire from all sides killing the innocent protesters.
    The incident fueled widespread anger throughout the country and led to the Non-cooperation Movement of 1920-22.
    Ultimately, it was Shahid-i-Azm Sardar Udham Singh who took the revenge after 21 years by killing General O' Dyer in London.

I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep.

• Sign In to post your comments