You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Should our personal preference affect our duty or work?

We are all educated people. Education has given us the opportunity to judge/study every issue, to have personal preference based upon our study. We may support a political party, a group or any NGO. We may virulently oppose any party, any group or any NGO. We may support or oppose any group's stand on any particular issue.

It is quite natural to have our own opinion on any or all issue(s). But should our preference/ abhorrence affect our work? It should not. But unfortunately, this is becoming increasingly evident. Our personal preference has been affecting our decision-making ability in work. It is not good to differentiate our personal preference and our official work.

This unfortunate trend is growing. It is also evident in ISC editorial platform.
    Definitely. We,most of us, are just selfish. Our work and ambitions are important more than anything in this world.
    1.When a traffic congestion, we seek the loophole to cross that place without minding others.
    2.when we see some accident or fall in the road, we never mind to help them instead we just escape from the place
    3.As a vehicle driver, we just continuously blow horn without seeing or considering the vehicles before us
    4.While boarding into the bus we try to sit ourselves without minding others especially old man or woman or handicapped.
    If this is the situation, we prefer our own than anything so we do not care about the work of ours in the office or workplace or duty involved.

In a very simple language the author has raised a burning issue and all of us are affected by it to more or less extent. It has made the whole governance at a stake by its own workers or officials who are contributing to this evil in all capacities and it is growing in gigantic proportions.

In scientific language it is known as entropy of a system and it increases with more disorder and disbalance.

There are many countries where this problem is minimal or nil. Let us analyse and ponder how did they achieve it. The answer is - it is because of high level of discipline and strict monitoring and control. People cite other reasons also for it like less population, 100% education or literacy, high level of service, nationalism and patriotism etc.

We can give many reasons but ultimately it boils down to good ethical practices in workplace and doing your job with full dedication and concentration so that the dream behind achievement of '6 sigma' practices is attained.

Knowledge is power.

Personal preference is one thing and work or duties/responsibilities is another thing. Neither they should be mixed up nor one should be sacrificed/neglected for the other. As long as both are entirely personal in nature we can afford to choose our preferences and complete them according to order of importance.

However, when it comes to effect others, we have to be strict and complete them according to schedule. For doing so, we have to learn time management skills and chalk out our programmes in such a way as not to hamper one for the other.

One who can learn this skill will succeed in life but the one who fails to do so, nobody can help him out.

I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep.

Yes we have to train ourselves to balance between the professional and personal works. Some times we may have to work for other out of sheer friendship or because the society in which we live would force us to join a group promoting something. What ever it is, your present job is the God for you and you should not compromise the work or post pone the tasks at office just because of some social cause assignments. Last week there was Annadhaan program in connection with Ganesh Festivities in our colony and being the working day not many office bearers have attended the program. Even I had to excuse from the Annadhanam. So what I mean to stress here that sometimes all work cannot be done by us. Some work has to be forsaken and postponed or delegate to some one who can do better than us.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

It is not advisable to allow personal preferences to affect or influence the job you do. One cannot entirely rule out such a possibility but our endeavor should be to keep such preferences at bay while discharging our duties which is a part of our job.

Having said so, since the author has made a reference to the ISC editorial team in the thread, I think it would be better to clear the air instead of allowing hidden arrows to fly aimlessly. This thread by Partha is clearly in retaliation to the deletion of this thread posted by him. The thread in question was deleted not because of any personal preference as perceived by the author but because it was not having any point to be discussed. That having been done, the author has chosen to raise another thread on the same subject which was again deleted due to the same reason as stated above. What made the author raise the second thread? I don't think there is a need to be so forceful about personal preferences.

The author need to understand that editors with ISC cannot opt to have individual choices when it comes to the work entrusted to them by the admin but they do have the choice and freedom to air their personal opinion as a response to a thread if at all necessary. I think it is all about being judicious that matters.

'Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance'- Confucius

"The thread in question was deleted not because of any personal preference as perceived by the author but because it was not having any point to be discussed.''-Always I learn new things from ISC!

(a) Do all threads which are ''live'' right now have something to discuss?

(b) Is it true that deleted thread had nothing to discuss? Many Members may and will differ. This is where personal prejudice comes into picture. This is where personal preference clouds our judgmental ability.

Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

Another small point which I forgot to mention in my previous response. Are all responses to this thread exactly relevant to this thread? If not, then why no deletion or negative points to such responses? Shouldn't an alert and strict Editor delete irrelevant responses, irrespective of the author(s) of such response(s)?
    Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

Personal preferences are different Organisational preferences are different. Personal preferences are taken basing on your own judgement, likes, dislikes and habits. Organisational preferences are decided by the top people of the Organisation. Whether an individual is liking it or not as long as he is a part of the Organisation he has to go in that direction only. He will not have any right to question the decision. Even the decision makers can't violate the decision once taken. This is the philosophy of life. Many times we differ the decisions taken by the management of the Organisation. If you are a part of decision making argue at the time of decision. But once a collective decision is taken everybody should honour it. This is the philosophy.
    Sometimes we may be feeling bad about the decisions and we will try to vent out our unhappiness. There it will stop and further we may not do anything except simply going with the group.

drrao
    always confident

Very true, our preferences and abhorrence should not affect our work.

This does not look to be a straightforward thread, if I understand it correctly; it is a dig at the ISC editorial member(s). A follow up perhaps of your comment in this thread, where you cast aspersion, on the Webmaster's decision.

Coming to this thread, you state that personal preferences are affecting the working of editors. I think otherwise – the way editors respond, only throws light on the obstinacy with which some members repeatedly share their personal opinions, despite being asked, to not do so, in subtle and not so subtle ways. I think it is these members who allow their personal preferences and abhorrence to affect their work, on ISC. Yes, this unfortunate trend is growing and it needs to end.

ISC is a platform for discussions and everyone welcomes a good one. But, I do not see it as a platform to consciously and tenaciously share personal preferences and abhorrence. I would rather create my own blog and post what I want on it and hope for a fan following. I wouldn't ask someone why they are restricting my freedom to post my views on 'their' website. I think it is a matter of respect.

"A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak" - Michael Garrett Marino

Not touching upon the ongoing discussion about the thread deletion, i'm replying to the title

This influence has been there from many years "personal preference over work"at many aspects of public life and at many countries.

This sort of bias creeps in and often has an adverse impact : from making someone feel uncomfortable to loss of a potential job to at times physical harm.
    1. Almost all of us would recollect a visit to a different place and being turned down by the local auto or cab driver or taken for a ride
    2. Entering a locality that has predominantly people from one faith. You will always be treated different from the local shop to the tea stall.
    3. People living across the inter-state border at sensitive areas. For example the Karnataka- TamilNadu border at times of the water disputes
    4. Refusing to screen a movie or refusing to organize an event because the performer or star is of a particular country.
    5. Interview selection panel strong preferences for a particular community or religion
    6. Suppressing career growth based on pre conceived beliefs
    7. In USA - white police officers being overtly aggressive with migrants or people of a certain colour

We all have seen or heard this, but the issue here i feel is

1. it's extremely difficult to be completely impartial : we are all humans and our preferences at times without our knowledge affects the completion of work

2. It is difficult to prove and easy to complain

What we need is

1. A basic level of work ethics

2. A set of practical and legally agreed guidelines at sensitive places. For instance here the author is referring to a deletion of a thread, there can far more serious issues happening right know related to what we are discussing

3. A grievance redress process - I think this would the key as it re-assures both parties. for the so called perpetrator a robust grievance handling will often act a deterrent and for the so called victim it a kind of assurance that yes fairness will be ensure even though it may be late.

In work or in any other matter of common importance and relevance, we should not mingle our personal prejudices,likes and dislikes.

It is easily said than done. It needs guidance and conscious mentoring by ourselves also. We should develop a sense of isolating and insulating matters from interference by our personal prejudices. We should develop duty consciousness. The essence of Bhagavt Gita is that.

By conscious efforts it becomes an easy habit. The earlier we achieve this the better. Real maturity also contributes to this. However of late this detachment and impartiality is seen very much lacking in general.

• Sign In to post your comments