You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

What should be the ideal start of school time? Whether 7.30 am, 8.30 am or 9.30 am?

Do you think there is a particular time at which every school should begin their day? Share you views in this thread about the ideal school start time for children.

In Telangana, the government is contemplating to change the school timings uniformaly for all and that should be followed by both government and private schools. The parents have complained to the Education Minister that children are not eating breakfast in the morning due to early timings and thus their health gets deteriorated without strength.

Now what should be the ideal time for the school to open in the morning? Whether it should be 7.30 am, or 8.30 am, or 9.30 am. Members can give their opinion with reasoning so that Telangana government would read our responses and perhaps implement it.
    The Kendriya Vidyalaya Sanghatan, New Delhi has fixed the timings for the KVs across the country from 7.30 AM to 2.40 PM and 8.10 AM to 3.10 PM during winter session. This timing facilitates the students to fresh up and take rest at home and later return to their regular business such as evening play and attending to homework etc. I think this timing is ideal for all students irrespective of private and Government schools. Unfortunately the corporate culture that creeped into our education system has changed the scenario and the techno schools are operating their business hours from 7.30 AM to 7.30 PM. Even parents are very much comfortable to such timings with a hope that their ward could do wonders.
    Regards,
    Jagdish

I went to a morning school which started at 6.30 a.m. So, my borther and I started from my residence latest by 5.45 a.m. Later in secondary section, the school started 10.30 a.m. So, I am habituated to these timings. In Delhi, schools start at 8 a.m and end at 2.00 p.m. I find this timing odd because of various inconveniences. As nowadays most of the students have forgotten to rise early, I prefer 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. timing-slot for school students.
    Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

Telangana government wants to make all schools timings to begin at 9 am every day.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

My son is 3 years old and his school timing is 7.30 AM to 11.30 AM. His school bus comes at 6.55 AM. Initially I was facing great difficulty in getting him ready for school and many times he skipped break fast but now all set. He gets up by 5.30 AM without much effort. He gets ready on time and even does his break fast.
    Children have a flexible attitude and they can adopt anything very easily.
    Early morning timings are good for schools because morning hours considered as the best timing for study.

Padmini

Living & Learning- simultaneous processes!

My mother, my brother and I left for our respective schools together. We went to different schools but left home at the same time. Our schools hired DTC buses to transport children from various localities in Delhi, to and from the school. We had different timings for summer and winter – school started at 7:15 in the summer months and at 7:45 in winter. The school would get over at 13:35 and 14:00 hours respectively.

Breakfast was never an issue. We ate a hearty breakfast before leaving and were given a snack for the tiffin break. Lunch was always at home. The numerous schools my daughter attended followed almost similar timings. It was only in Chennai that the schools she attended had 'odd' working hours. I had to give her packed lunch – which is another story!

It is just a matter of getting accustomed to a routine. The problems will perhaps be more for the mothers, who will now have to get the food ready earlier.

Given a choice, I would vote for schools to start at 7:30 am.

"A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak" - Michael Garrett Marino

Early school timing encourages to get up a student early. Early rising has a good impact on the health of the child. It is beneficial for parents also. They also adopt a habit of early rising. They sleep early getting up early. So early school timing is beneficial for both students as well as parents. So school timing from 7.30 is ideal for all.
    Service to mankind is service to God.

Everyone is familiar with this saying "Early to bed and Early to Rise makes a man Healthy, Wealthy and Wise".

If I had a choice of making a change I would definitely go for 7:30 AM. I have studied in different institutes both in north and south so I am familiar with all the timings mentioned by the author. I am forever grateful to those schools which started at 7:30 AM, it was only during winters it was postponed by one hour due to thick fog. We had no issues waking up early in the morning, we did have our breakfast on time and went to school refreshed. We used to be back home by 1:00 PM, so we did get enough time to have proper lunch and afternoon nap after which we did our homework and studies. We even played in the evening. So everything was in the proper timing. But when I went to schools which started at 9:30, it was more hectic and very tiring. as we reached home by 5:00 PM. We didn't get enough time to play as we had to focus on our studies.

Children are not eating breakfast is just an excuse because once they are in the routine it won't be hard for them to follow.

But now the scenarios are changing with working parents, it is difficult for them especially if they are in IT industry (I don't know how it is another organisation), they have shift timing which they have to follow strictly. For them to wake up very early would be stressful though not impossible.

For children 7:30 AM is the best time to start the school.

The question should be asked to the parents, whose children are in the school age. I had attended schools, which always started at 9.30 AM and ended at 4.30 PM. For me and for my parents, it was comfortable. But, nowadays, schools are starting at 7.30 AM. It will create a lot of mental pressure on parents as well as children. Ideal number of sleeping hours is 9-11 hours for children in the age range of 6-13 years. For kids below 6 years, it is more than that. So, in order to get up at 6 AM, the child should go to bed at 8 PM. Is this possible?
    In this tense world, there is no guarantee that even if you go to bed early, you will get sleep immediately. So, the exact time of getting into deep sleep is not fixed but getting out of deep sleep is fixed because of our alarm clock. It is true for both parents and children. Everyone's biological clock is not similar. So, in my opinion, staring timing at 9.30 AM will be ideal.

I feel this thread can be suitable for a GD. Can the editor/team/WM evaluate the acceptability as GD?

I feel school hours should be restricted to maximum 7 hours a days. 30 minutes break in between for eating will be a nice proposition. If the school starts at 9.00 AM and closes at 4.00 PM, I think it is very comfortable. The Child can get up at 6 AM. Get ready by 7.00 AM. Just have one hour reading time. At 8.00 AM he can have breakfast and go to school by starting at 8.30 AM. He can carry his small lunch box. By 5.00 PM he will be back. Relax or Play for 2 hours and 1 hour for home work . At 8.00 PM dinner and go to bed by 9.00 PM. This will give him sufficient sleep, time for home work and relaxing. These timings are for students from 1st class to 10th class. But for lower class timings can be different and hours need not be more than 4 hours. But unfortunately all corporate schools are starting at 7.30 AM and continue up to 7.30 PM. So children are not getting any time for playing and relaxing. Parents are also supporting this system as their ambition about their children is very high. All want their children to get a rank nothing less than one.
    drrao
    always confident

• Sign In to post your comments