You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Festivals

Rose day may be okay, but why not a Tamil Day in Haryana or a Haryana day in Kerala

Credit to the title goes to our Prime Minister Shri.Narendra Modi.

It needs someone to start a discussion introducing the topic or matter to discuss. That kindles the creative thoughts causing a resonance in many minds.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi has given a poser on bringing such a creativity. Addressing a students convention to mark 125 years of Swami Vivekananda's address at the World Parliament of Religions and centenary celebration of DeenDayal Upadhyaya, PM said "Different days are celebrated in colleges. Sometimes it is rose day. I am not opposed to it." But he posed a core question to the students: Does it ever occur to us to celebrate Tamil Day in a Haryana college?..a college in Punjab celebrates Kerala day?... We will sing their songs, dress like them..."

He said these festivals help 'Ek Bharat Shresht Baharat'
    Does it not resonate in us too?.
    Really very good. An excellent proposal by PM. We always say that India is united in diversity. The country India has different languages, different states , different cultures and different religions. But India is one country. So have a common feeling if we celebrate Tamil festival in Haryana and Haryana festival in Kerala and we will become more near and we will get bonded more. We will get united.
    drrao
    always confident

Really a great suggestion coming from the PM and that needs to be given thought. Even though in every school fancy competitions are organized during festivities and during that time students would come up with various attires of varied leaders. But PM Modi suggestion is very good to celebrate Tamil day in one state and Haryana day in Tamil Nadu. In that case the children would be knowing more about each state, their attire, their food habits, their language and their culture. The department of education in central government must initiate this and see that it happens in every school.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

With due respect to our Prime Minister and his vision, I don't think this suggestion is practical at all. Given the cultural, linguistic and traditional differences and also the difference in the dressing pattern among the people from different parts of India, I don't think it would bring out any fruitful results even if such a formality is forced as a decision. And even otherwise, why should people in Haryana celebrate Kerala Day because it only marks the birth of Kerala as a State within the territory of India and has nothing to do with Haryana and likewise for all other states. It may not be out of place to say that state governments have to pass orders to the people to wear their traditional dress on particular State Days and even such orders does not go down well with many in this era. The idea 'sounds' good but is not 'practical' and I am sure that even the PM himself is well aware about the ground realities.
    'Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance'- Confucius

I wont agree with Saji Ganesh that the Idea suggested by PM Modi was not possible to implement. Some of the professional schools which are having students from every state would love to have such dedicated day celebrations and the participation would be wholesome and overwhelming. Moreover the state children would know about other state festivals and food. The celebration should include display of dress, food items, festivities and other customs being observed by that particular state.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

I agree with Mr.Saji that it's not practical to celebrate such days i.e Haryana to celebrate Kerala day or vice versa.

Nevertheless, we do have traditional days in our school, colleges and also the same is celebrated in our offices as well. Cultural events are also conducted. So it's not like there is no such day.

I am glad that the PM has made such a statement and would disagree with the Lead editor.

In today's India people living in a state do not necessarily belong to the state. With wide spread development and migration related to work, marriage etc has lead to a mix of people, particularly in the major metro cities. If you are living in an apartment or a relatively new neighbourhood in a big city, just look around you will find families belonging to different states and religion. when we have father's day, valentines day, mothers day then why not a day that promotes national integration, harmony, spirit of brotherhood and friendship in colleges and work place.

I think the problem will arise when someone imposes this, some particular community takes this out of context for vested interests and opposes this; when productivity is lost ( declaring holidays) or unnecessary money is spent ( grand outdoor decorations, expensive bands, dance troupes etc). Recently I read that on World Yoga Day in a state, a celebrity was invited and the Government was billed many lakhs for a few minutes.

In my view, a simple function, a selected couple of them can be tried out across states with the aim of promoting national integration and an opportunity to understand a particular community or way of life.

What our Prime Minister has said is the easiest way of integration of the people of the vast and diverse country. We must try to implement it for the integration of people of the country. We must not pay heed to useless criticism.
    Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

It is in the hands of every Student Indian of every part of this country. All students should know all Indian languages or at least know the names of indian languages without any bias. During my college period (1974-77) there were students from all parts and all of us very much interested in learning some words from others.

India is a big country and varied cultures and languages. It is a big task to unite it under one umbrella of national integration.

We can do miracles if we are united. Our respect in the international level will be immense if we are united. There are many sweet outcomes of unity.

Our PM may be indicating in that direction only.

Knowledge is power.

In a thread sometime earlier in the forum I have stated that even after many decades after Independence and our becoming a nation, we still do not know much about our own country. There are many among us who have visited Singapore, UK, or US or Israel, but not the neighbouring state in our own country.

Until a few years ago(probably even now) I could meet well educated people graduated from our universities who did not know what language was spoken in Kerala. Many could not differentiate the four languages in the southern states. For them all were 'Madrasis". Similarly those from southern states could not differentiate between a Haryanvi , Gujarati or a Rajasthani. For them all were 'Seth' or 'Bhai'. Even now we read how sometimes the North Eastern states people are mistaken for people from some eastern countries.

So much more is needed towards national integration. Unfortunately unity, emulation and cross -acceptance has come in matters of negativity. That is not good and may lead to disintegration, which is also aimed by external vested interests. To overcome this we should have more exchanges on all levels-the easiest is to start with arts and culture and traditional festivities.

• Sign In to post your comments