You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Let us not forget: Today is Saragarhi Day

On 12th September, 1897, twenty-one Sikh soldiers of 36 Sikh in British Indian Army under the command of Havildar Ishwar Singh took one of the greatest 'last stands' at Saragarhi in present North-West Frontier Province of Pakistan against 10,000 of Orakzai Pushtun tribesmen. The detachment consisting of one Non-Commissioned Officer (NCO) and twenty Other Ranks (ORs) fought throughout the day without any hope of reinforcement and unbelievably killed several thousands of Pushtun tribesmen. Not even a single surrendered, not even a single survived wounded. All of them died. Even the British could never forget the gallantry of these twenty-one brave-hearts.

The names of these twenty-one courageous men are written in golden letters in the annals of Indian military history. However, Indians are slowly forgetting those heroes whom the entire soldiering community of the world remembers.

Let us salute those greatest of the great heroes on the auspicious Saragarhi Day.
    What an exemplary courage shown by those twenty-one brave soldiers of the British Indian Army who showed the true example of 'Service before self'! I salute those brave-hearts from the core of my heart.

At the same time, I salute you, too, for bringing before us, many unknown and hidden chapters of History. I am really grateful to you for enlightening us with so many unknown facts about the heroism of our brave people which were never before known to many of us.

I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep.

Battle of Saragarhi is being taught all over the military schools and colleges of the world. Alas! we Indians forget our real heroes and worship false heroes. Our History books don't mention even a single line about this heroic feat.
    Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

I am happy to state that our ISC is merging people all parts of our nation and through which we learn many things special in all parts. I came to know about this only now,however my salutes.

Once more the author has brought to lime light the forgotten heroes of our mother land who have brought laurels to our country in those days. My salute to soldiers of Battle of Saragarhi.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

My salutes to the 21 soldiers who never cared for their before the service they have to render. Many people like this, who sacrificed their lives for nation. But unfortunately we are not able to recognise them. I think histories like this should be taught to all school students.
    drrao
    always confident

Yes, it is a fact that these incidences in our history are unknown to me also. I think most of the South Indians, except perhaps soldiers, might not be familiar with this. I don't know the details about this. For me it is a new information. I thank the author for bringing out this historical incident and it's importance.
    T.M.Sankaran
    Gold Member ISC

Like every year, the British has expressed their respect for the martyrs of Saragarhi this year also.

Immediately after the epic last-stand, Queen Victoria awarded all twenty-one soldiers of the 36 Sikh (now 4 Sikh) the Indian Order of Merit (comparable with the Victoria Cross) along with 50 acres of land and Rs 500 each. It was for the first time that a gallantry award was given posthumously.

Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

• Sign In to post your comments