You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Lost in a concrete jungle

It was 2009. On a gloomy winter evening, I was returning to my residence at Dwarka, the satellite sub-city located at south-western part of New Delhi. The bus took a turn and then suddenly I saw it. It was standing there-in a green patch created at the corner.

It was perfectly camouflaged in the semi-darkness caused by evening fog and high-rises. No other person except me could see it. It was nervous. Every bus, every car and honking made it more nervous.

I was fascinated by its eyes. Its eyes were forlorn, lost and pensive. It was desperately searching other members of its group. Its eyes resembled the eyes of a child lost in a crowd. Or was it my imagination?

The 'nilgai' (Indian Blue Bull) was lost in the concrete jungle of Dwarka.
    Definitely, all the cities and towns are concrete jungles only. Really if an animal comes into this jungle its survival will be difficult. Not the people, the climate itself will make it sick. They stay in jungles. There the atmosphere is very nice and no pollution. They have organic food there. A very happy life they can lead there.
    By any chance of you given an option to any wild animal to come and stay in this concrete forest, definitely, it will say no. They don't have any thing to eat also in this concrete areas. I have seen in many towns cows and buffaloes eating wall posters. Definitely, when a wild animal by mistake comes here, it will resemble a child lost in a crowd. It is not your imagination. It is true only.

drrao
    always confident

I thought you were describing in leopard. But Nilgai isn't less fierce either. He can trample or pierce anyone who nears him. It's very very peculiar of a bull to get lost from it's herd. Lone bulls rarely survive.
    But what astonished me was the fact you saw a Nilgai in New Delhi. They're not all that rare. They're found all over India but they try to escape the humans as much as possible.
    I wondered what happened to him after that.

The stronger a light shines the darker are the shadows around it.

At that time I was living at the outskirt of Delhi (which is very near to Aravalli Hills). So, thre is a possibility of nilgai coming to Dwarka. Even now, nilgai can be seen in the campus of JNU near Vasant Kunj of Delhi.
    Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

The spotting of Nilgai in the Delhi populated community center was well described by the author. Delhi is surrounded by open area and near Kirti Nagar and Patel nagar itself, there is a jungle in which many animals were once living. In the guise of development, when the authorities goes on encroaching and creating a concrete structure, then what the animals can do and where it can go. Even my house is surrounded by hill and little water sources. Therefore we do expect snakes, python, peacock , Kingfisher and other animals. May be we are allowing them to survive amid us.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

with the ever increasing human expansion and often greed, we take whatever we want without bothering about the impact this has on mother nature. Human-Animal conflict is being increasingly reported and often the animals are blamed for it, little do we realise that we are in their territory. Many animals ( elephants, leopards and rarely tiger) venture into the buffer zones around a forest or outskirts of a city in search of water and food. Often the historic migration routes or elephant corridors have been slowly encroached by humans and it's no surprise that we find an unwanted visitor at our door step.

One such well-studied wonder is in the presence of two apex species Man and Leopard in the vicinity of Sanjay Gandhi National Park, Borivali, Mumbai. Here around 30-40 leopards leopard from the park can often be sighted around apartments or houses close by on CCTV cameras and from the balconies at night. often we hear about these leopards mauling people or children.

If you are still curious you can watch "URBAN JUNGLE: DOWNTOWN" national geography channel documentary/video

Mr. Natarajan: I am very much interested about these topics. Last year I raised some threads on wild animals coming to cities. I still remember that I raised a thread on night walk of a pride of lions on the empty roads of Junagarh. I raised another thread when a wild elephant came in front of a crowded mall at Siliguri, the biggest city of North Bengal. I raised some more similar threads, which were unfortunately deleted.

Thanks for the link.

Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

Another beautiful narration by the author and as usual I relished it. Today we are living in a concrete jungle and go to the park or some hill resort or such tourist place to see and the feel the trees and the nature in general. We are far from the nature not because of the distance but basically because we have forgotten to preserve the nature around us in pursuit of multi storied complexes.

I do not know where we are heading to but it is certain that after some time we will be like machines breathing in a jungle of concrete wishing for cleaner air. There are some countries where people have to go in roads with their mouth and nose masks on.

It is a real pity that we have no concern for this and most of the time we blame the builders and Govt for it which is also true to a large extent. The animals will also slowly extinct and will be available for seeing only in select zoos where they will be preserved with great care.

Knowledge is power.

That entire belt was an expanse of wilderness, dotted with pieces of farmland. This was many years ago when I was growing up in Delhi. So, much has changed since. The stretch between Moti Bagh I and II, was lonely, after dark. And the area between Nanak Pura and Dhaula Kuan was just rocky terrain. RKP, Anand Vihar, Vasant Vihar etc did not exist. They were my backyard. I grew up going for picnics there, with neighbourhood friends.

Wildlife was known to trespass into our living areas even then. And years later when I lived in the Dhaula Kuan area, we had peacocks living on our campus.

The region between Najafgarh right up to Badarpur, Okhla, Mehrauli and beyond, are linked and forested. The Ridge which is now in the heart of South Delhi was part of this huge green expanse, but now, as you said it's becoming a concrete jungle. In fact, I have spotted Nilgai, foxes and jackals in the Ridge area.

@ Aditya - The bulls are solitary animals.

"A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak" - Michael Garrett Marino

• Sign In to post your comments