You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Today is the birth anniversary of this great musician

She was born on 16th September, 1916 in the temple-city of Madurai. Since her childhood, she enthralled people with her beautiful sonorous voice and correct rendition. During her youth she acted in some Tamil films. Her first film was Sevasadanam, but she became popular due to her acting in Meera.

But today people know her as a great musician. Even before reaching an age of 18, she became a cult-figure in her state. Many top political leaders of the bygone era like Mohandas Gandhi, Jawaharlal Nehru and Chakravarty Rajagopalachary used to like her music. She received Padma Bhushan, Padma Bibhushan and ultimately the Bharat Ratna in 1998.

This great lady left this world in 2004.

On her 101st birthday, let us pay our homage to this great musician, Bharat Ratna M.S. Subbulakshmi. Incidentally she was the first musician to be conferred Bharat Ratna and Dr. Raman Magsaysay award.

(P.S.: On 15th September, India celebrated the birthday of another Bharat Ratna from Tamil Nadu, Dr. M. Visveswaraya as Engineer's Day. The very next day is the birthday of another genius from the state, who was also conferred Bharat Ratna.)
    Great remembrance brought in by the author. Surely none can match the mesmerizing voice of Bharat Ratna M S Subhalakshi and it is great that she is revered by every music lover even today. Even today her Suprabatham recital and Bhajagovindam songs are being heard and admired by her followers. She was the only artist from South India had the recognition and report from Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru. People say that music has the power of healing even the ailing person. Surely those who are followers of her voice would agree that her music would bring solace, happiness and above all very good relaxation.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Once again the author proved his talent. Though I am native of Madurai, heard well about MS, and seen the house she lived in Madurai, I do not remember the great women's birth day. She lived her whole life for Music. Only her voice is heard in all parts of our country in respect of Shri Venkatesa Suprabatham and Sri Vishnu Sahasranamam.

Everyday morning, the moment I get up from my Bed and come out, the sweet voice of Bharatratna Dr. M.S.SUbba Lakshmi's voice will be touching ears. My wife will be hearing Vishnu Sahasranamalu of her daily. So I am lucky I hear her voice daily. Really her voice can't be compared to any other legend Musician. Her voice is such a unique voice that we can easily identify her. Venkateswara Suprabhatam and Bajhagovinda slokalu are never forgettable. She made her mark in Music of India and she is a role model for singers in south India. Salutes to her. Her talent is second to none.
    drrao
    always confident

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.