You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Hottest chili of the world grows in north-eastern part of India

We know very little about the north-eastern states. We don't know about the colourful tribes of the region, their culture, tradition, fighting ability, their dress, social custom and the resplendent beauty of nature of the region. We don't know about the diversity of flora and fauna of the region.

In this small thread, we will talk about ''Bhoot jhalokia/Bhoot jolokia/Naga jolokia'', a beautifully coloured fruit of north-east. Have you heard about this? The colour is brilliant red or orange. Whenever you see a Bhoot Jolokia, you will get tempted to taste it because of its colour. It is found in Assam, Arunachal Pradesh, Nagaland and Manipur. But beware! Only one small seed of this chilli is enough to send you to hospital for a day with unbearable pain. One small bite of Bhoot Jolokia will take the person to the 'land of no-return''.

One of my relatives cautioned me that the name itself means that even the ghosts feel the pain if they partake it (Bhoot means Ghost; Jhalokia-Jhal in Bengali/Assamese, Teekha in Hindi, Hot in English).

Bhoot Jolokia got the ''honour'' of the hottest chili of the world in 2007. The scientists of DRDO have been planning to use this great chili (in powder form) in hand-grenades to flush out the terrorists from their den without killing them.
    Another interesting narrative from the author with usual tinge of humour embedded here and there.

I know about this as I was in Assam for quite sometime during my service period. We did not dare to taste it but yes its intensity is well heard there.

Similarly there is one item called horse raddish which is also well known for its intense effect, though not exactly tasting like chili, on the person but not as much intense as bhoot jolokia.

Knowledge is power.

Assam chillies are very famous for hotness. From these chillies, oleoresin will be extracted. This is very very hot. Using this mob dispersion grenades are being made and used by police for riot control. To deal with the stone-throwing team in Kashmir, the army also used this product. Now bullets are also made to fire from a gun from a distance. These fumes are very powerful and give a lot of itching sensation and throat choking. People will run from the spot at once. The product is already developed and underuse by the police. I was an associate of that project with DRDO and many trials were conducted and product developed in my laboratory.
    drrao
    always confident

It is one of the top 10 hottest peppers in the world, but it's value of capsaicin was so low that at first people took it for granted. But even a little dosage of the "devil pepper" can be very painful. However there are other peppers too in India which occupy a place in top 20 hottest peppers. India's climate is ideal to grow chilli.
    But chilli isn't indigenous to India. It was brought in by Portuguese I guess . And Indian climate just so help chilli to grow and we are one of the top producers of peppers today.

The stronger a light shines the darker are the shadows around it.

This chilli is also known as also known as ghost pepper or ghost chili.This chilli is grown in the states of Arunachal Pradesh, Assam, Nagaland and Manipur. Ghost pepper was certified as the world's hottest chili pepper, 400 times hotter than Tabasco sauce by Guinness World Records in 2007.The Ghost chili is rated at more than 1 million Scoville heat units (SHUs).

For the first time I am coming across the name Bhoot Jolokia kind of hottest chili and which considered the death knell if one had a single bite. This is what I have been demanding since many years. At ISC we seldom get news from the NE as the membership is also minimal. It has been now we came to know that in the states of Assam, Arunachal Pradesh, Nagaland and Manipur such kind rare chili are found which cannot be taken in by human being. Good that this rare chili would be used by Military in India to pack inside the hand grenades and have the last laugh at the enemies as they cannot escape from hot,
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

• Sign In to post your comments