You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: West Bengal

Is Mamata Banerji fanning a Secular Polarisation in Bengal ?

Recently, TMC government in West Bengal had issued a notification prohibiting Durga idol immersion between September 30 and October 1 on account of Muharram, observed by Muslims. This is a day for mourning. This is definitely an intimidation of the government in religious and cultural affairs on the pretext of law and order issues. TMC boast to be a secular political party.

Our constitution did not use the word "secular" till 42th amendment to it. The founders were sure that India stands for it and the people of India had faith in this principle. The introduction of this word shows a sort of loss of faith in the politicians. Some politicians on the pretext of being secular and liberal are practicing a politics of appeasing minority or a particular caste to gain political mileage. Some of the examples are Mr. Laluprasad, Mr. Mulayamsingh Yadav, Mis. Mayavati and so many local and state politicians. Now Mamata Banerjee is rising as a firebrand leader playing appeasement politics. These so called secular politicians are responsible for rising right wing hold on politics. Both of these politicians are posing a serious threat to unity and integrity of the country.

I am of the opinion that the politicians should not intimidate and let people of different faith take decisions on the matter of peaceful coexistence in a particular region. On the other hand their role must be of facilitators and peace makers. There should not be any hue and cry of imaginary situation and issuing such prohibitions. Such an intimidation encouraging right wing organizations like RSS to vitiate the environment further. There is a news that Calcutta high court slammed the TMC government on this issue. Please opine.
    The woman politician has forgotten everything. To hide her terrible administration, she wants to get 30% vote of a particular community. She must be ;thrown out of power by any means before she destroys West Bengal. She must be shown the door. The is no doubt about it.
    Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

In India, people are very friendly within themselves. They never bother about the religion, caste or educational status of the neighbour. They together without any problem. I have seen Muslims going to temples and praying for the God. Similarly, Hindus go to Masjid for making prayers. Christians will visit Hindu's places of worship, Muslims got to church. There are no differences. No problems. But this atmosphere is not liked by many politicians. They want to create a problem between the people by talking about Religion and divide them. This is what exactly happening in West Bengal now. She wanted that all Muslims to vote for her. In that attempt, she is spoiling entire state.How she can ask a particular religion not to perform their rituals as same day there is a festival of other religion. She can keep mum. Both the religions will perform their rituals without any problem. That is sure. But already she has created a problem. Now unnecessarily problems will crop up.
    A political leader should see that peace in the society prevails. But here it is exactly opposite is happening. If some problem crops up she will be responsible for that. I even doubt she may plan a problem on that day and see those innocent people suffer. I have been observing her and I feel she is capable of doing those things.

drrao
    always confident

I am elated! Just now Calcutta High Court passed a stricture. Immersion of idol can't be stopped during the religious ceremony of other community. Let us see what the shameless politician does now.

No one has the right to belittle the Hindu sentiments and I shall also protest in my own way through social media. By appeasing Minorities, Mamata thinks that she was assured of Muslim votes. Actually she is playing the communal card with whole some support to minorities. I shall go one step ahead and say that , If she is so fond of Muslims and want to show more concern to them, let her change the name immediately as she should not henceforth fool the public by keeping Hindu name and working fully for the other religions. Why the EC and courts are keeping quiet on her overtures so far.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Stroking religious sentiments and keep the issue alive is the bane of Indian politics, yes its all for the votes and staying in the minds of people, be it an inter-state water sharing dispute for goes on for years and surprisingly no one has a solution or appeasing a minority vote bank or sitting with impoverished children in a slum to share food just for a photo opportunity.
    Every faith should be respected, on the contrary, practices of a particular faith should not be opposed or stopped for an unworthy reason like this. It's even more embarrassing when such instances arise for a responsible corner of the government machinery.

I think, TMC is learning from BJP how to view things through religious angle
    Both parties are potential alliance partners in future.

If you stop to think........ remember to start again!

#609585: The above response clearly establishes the following facts:-
    (a) The author is blissfully ignorant about the condition prevailing in West Bengal, or, despite knowing the condition, he feigns ignorance.
    (b) If he is aware of the condition and feigns ignorance, he supports gradual communalisation of the state by a particular community and consequent demand for separation of the state from India.
    (c) He is a pathological BJP-hater.

If a person doesn't want to admit the truth open to all, it is fruitless to argue or debate. If he is not aware of the real issue, he first try to understand the problem by availing various facts, and only then the matter can be debated.

I think it is the curse of the hour that we have started connecting everything to religion. While I agree that the Chief Minister of West Bengal should have been prudent enough to take a strong decision, especially with reference to previous year's experience, I don't understand why we should try to give it a touch of religion. Why can't we look at it from the security point of view? Containing communal clashes in India has never been an easy task for any administration across the nation and we need to accept the fact. It might be the lack of confidence on the part of the Bengal administration in maintaining security that might have led them to decide that idol immersion need not be allowed on Muharram. Why should we consider it as an act to appease the minorities, or in other words, why do we need to consider it as a decision against the majority community? We all know the answer as to why it is so now. It is not the question of being radical or liberal but of being logical in our thoughts.

And coming to the High Court order on the issue, I would like to go with the West Bengal Governor Keshari Nath Tripathi that the order is not against or for anyone; it is in fact an appeal to the public to maintain peace and a caution to the authorities to ensure the same.

'Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance'- Confucius

Ohhhh....! Another case of feigned ignorance. No point in debating. However, the Member can easily Google-search Deganga riot (2010), Caning riot (2010), Kanglapahari, Malda vandalism, Barddhaman bomb blast, Naihati riot on Muharram (2016), Basirhat-Baduria riot (2017) and innumerable others. But even then, the feigned ignorance won't end.

No point to try to discuss the issue.

#609594, who is feigning ignorance? Did anyone dispute the facts you listed in your response? (The reasons and conditions may be disputed though). How and why are you trying to connect these issues? You may have your own views bur ridiculing others for not being in agreement with what you say or think is not acceptable. Say what you want to in clear terms and at the same time let others also speak out their mind. If everyone is to support your ideology or your approach to facts, I doubt whether we would remain a democracy as is feared by the common man (libus or mango men in your words) in India today.

Ignoring religious dimension of a recurring problem in West Bengal is feigning ignorance. Putting every blame on BJP-RSS is feigning ignorance. Silence on hoisting of ISIS flag at Srinagar's Jamia Masjid on Friday, 22nd September, 2017, is feigning ignorance. Ignoring the fact that Naogaon, which boasts of highest population of a so-called minority community in Assam, has largest crime rate in Assam against women, is feigning ignorance.

Are we talking of West Bengal or of a particular community? Where did Srinagar and Naogaon come in from? Did anyone blame the BJP or the RSS in this discussion. Why do you appear to be moving with a single aim? You are becoming too obvious Partha just like any other followers who are not leaders.

'Did anyone blame the BJP or the RSS in this discussion. '

Answer: Please refer response #609585.

It states: "I think, TMC is learning from BJP how to view things through religious angle
    Both parties are potential alliance partners in future."

Understand, one member is highly frustrated and intolerant with my responses.
    Sometimes,speaking hard reality hurting people
    Blind belief in a system hinders one's ability to make conscious decisions about commonsense matters.

If you stop to think........ remember to start again!

Please! Please! This is an education channel. We have to talk of reason not of dogma. At presnt the country is passing through a period of polarisation. Parties initially got support from goons and bahubalies for their mileage. Then the goons became politicians. After some time politicians got support from Babas and mullahs. Now babas and mullahs are politicians. The parties like BJP are promoting gaging of people who say or raise any thing of their failure. But the situation on the other front is also of dangerous politics of appeasement in the name of secularism.

The Lively discussion so far is like a TV host and experts discussing a political issue. The basic instinct of humans and animals is survival. So its human nature to survive and evolve strategies to continue surviving. Many of us from various walks of life have a core code of ethics (what is acceptable and what is unacceptable) by which we live. Many of us in the society will not resort to kill or steal to earn a living. Yet is the same society there are people who do this every day.

Similarly, in Politics, there would be many who would ensure that life of the common man gets better and in turn, they themselves would survive by the goodwill of the public. In contrast, there would politicians who would want to survive by hook or crook. Both groups will have their own band of followers, opposers, and sympathizers.

We at ISC can have a healthy discussion and reasoning and draw a line at that and the senior editors can lock the thread. I think here, in this thread we have reached that point.

#609637: ""Blind belief in a system hinders one's ability to make conscious decisions about commonsense matters."-Fully correct. Blind belief in a system ignores even the severe strictures passed by the High Court repeatedly in no uncertain terms.

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.