You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Was Lord Rama, as a ruler, right in sending Sita to forest when she was pregnant?

All of us have minimum two responsibilities. The first one is the family responsibility and the second one is professional responsibilities. When there is a demand from both the sides at the same time, which one would be important to us. For most of us, the family is very important. We will have only one family. They will support you when there is a need. But professional life will be there only when you are performing and you can switch over from one to other. So in this concept, the act of Rama appears to be wrong.
    But at the same time, for a ruler, society and profession is more important than the family. So the rulers should give more importance to the society and the public rather than the family. This is the concept Rama believed and he has given a lot of importance to the words of a common man and in doing so, he sacrificed his personal life. In that attempt, he made his life miserable and the life of his wife also.
    These days rulers will never worry about what people think about them. They go on doing what they like to make their personal life happier. See the contrast between Rama and the rulers today! I would like like to know the opinion of learned people.
    I don't think so. Not because of human or moral reasons but because of the misjudgment in this case. Rama couldn't care less about justice. He could have investigated what happened in Sri Lanka because there were a lot of indigenous people still living.
    But Rama merely wanted to get rid of his blighted pride.
    Sending a pregnant woman on exile wasn't even an act of a man. Let alone God.

The stronger a light shines the darker are the shadows around it.

One must know that Lord Rama was the epitome of simplicity and his ruling in Ayodhya was considered the best Rajya so far. He wont compromise personal preference over take the rules and thus would stick to it. Though he felt that Sita was pure and has even gone through the test of getting bathed from fire, just because of a washerman apprehension that how can one believe the character of Sita who stayed for 8 months in Ashoka Vatika . So having sensed the public mood of Ayodhya, Ram has ordered Lakshman to leave Sita in a forest and let her live on her own. Having sensed her future responsibility to rear the children, Sita has accepted this challenge also with grace. No one can find fault with Ram in this regard. He has followed the established rules of Ayodhya no matter it may involve his own wife.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

If a person could not give justice to his own wife how could he give justice to his subjects? Why could he not trust his wife? Why did she even have to undergo the test of fire?

The author of the story about the life of lord Rama has depicted him as an ideal person much above the levels of ordinary mortals. In doing so the author has described or conjectured a few unbelievable actions which todays practical man will not be able to comprehend. In idealistic stories this is very usual thing to depict the hero doing ideal things.

Even if the story is true it has a significance that the society at that time was very rigid in giving weight to the public opinions and concerns by an ideal king. So as per that time and customs it could has been a normal thing.

As we are reading the story with a time gap we are feeling a bit perplexed about it. So in my opinion it is all a normal thing.

Knowledge is power.

Lord Rama is believed to be an incarnation of Lord Vishnu and the epic poem Ramayana is based on Rama's life. So, I don't think it would be prudent to approach the epic in a totally realistic way. We need to give some space to the author to imagine and exaggerate. Otherwise, can we believe that Ravana actually had ten heads? It has been interpreted in different ways. While one interpretation is that his ten heads signified Shatras and Vedas, there is another interpretation which says that they signify the different human emotions. So, similarly, we need not take the fire test on Sita and the sending her off on exile in its literal meaning. The actions by the Lord may be (I say may be, because I am not a scholar to give a proper interpretation/ explanation) symbols of some kind and may be signifying the righteousness of Rama as a ruler. Ramayana when taken as a whole, in my opinion, is a message as to how a son, brother, husband and ruler should behave and how they should set their priorities; it also has characters that tell us how one should not behave and what all emotions we need to avoid.
    'Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance'- Confucius

• Sign In to post your comments