You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Feeling guilty is the best expiation do you agree?

There is a saying in Telugu, 'paschatapam ku minchina, prayaschitamu ledu' which roughly means 'feeling guilty is the best expiation'. If you have done something wrong and if you confess, it is the best way to reparation. In churches also some people confess the sin in front of God to forgive them. Do you think that confessing your wrongdoing will wash away out your sin? Knowledgeable members, please respond to the question.
    The statement is acceptable only when the act has happened unintentionally and by sheer mistake or error. Confession then means owning up the mistake and empathising and sympathising with the victim. That can at least sooth the pain of conscience of the self and also lighten to some extent the pain of the victims and a sense of forgiveness may flow. However the confession may not be able to reverse the wrong act nor fully compensate the loss.
    Prayaschitham is a way of convincing and reinforcing oneself not to repeat the mistake and owning up the mistake and ready to help lessen the pain of the victim to the possible extent.

Yes, we all learn from our mistakes and go forward in life and mature in life. If one commits an act without any premeditation or unintentionally hurt someone. Then certainly confessing about ( a child to a parent, an adult to an elder family member or a mentor or a spiritual guide) will help us.

Once a 'sin' is committed and the person realises his wrongdoing, then he/she can confess and hope that God would forgive him and his burden becomes less. There is no point in carrying 'Guilt' for a long time. There are numerous crimes wherein after a long time the criminal comes forward to confess because "guilt eats his soul every moment' and makes him confess.

We cannot keep committing the crime again and again or do something fully knowing about its implications and then run off to confess. Confessing and hoping to get pardoned must not be taken lightly, among Christians it's well-known practice. I'm not sure among Hindus, is there a practice wherein you can confess to the priest at a temple. People believe that a holy dip in a holy river ( Ganges) gets rid of all their sins.

It is the great attitude on those who have committed sin and then repenting before the God to pardon and that shows that the sin was not done intentionally and thus by seeking pardon they have displayed their best practice before the God and being human being who are bound to make mistake and repent, God would also pleased to forgive and forget the sin committed. But those who commit sin , they should not do it regularly. In Hindi there is a good saying, ' Galthiyan karo, par wahi galthi dubhara na karna " that means make mistakes or sin, but never repeat the same. So God would be pleased with such repenting attitude.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

I would quote this, "change is the best sorry". Feeling guilty about your sin is good but it's not good enough. Show the victim by your actions that you have changed and wouldn't commit the same sin again.
    Confessing doesn't wash away your sins, it merely brings them to light. Rest is upto you.
    Confessing your sins will restrain you from escaping. Now that you're cornered, act; act wisely and sinless.

The stronger a light shines the darker are the shadows around it.

Except for born criminals (yes, there are born criminals), I think guilt is a feeling that naturally follows a wrong doing or a crime. I said so because all wrong doings need not necessarily be crimes. But feeling guilty or repenting for a wrong doing will not as such help in washing away your sin. Confessing a crime also does'n't matter much unless you realize your mistake, admit it, repent for the same and promise yourself not to repeat the same again. So, I don't think just feeling guilty or making a confession will amount to expiation. Repent, regret and correct yourself so that the gravity of the sin factor in the wrong/ crime committed by you is reduced.
    'Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance'- Confucius

Hitting somebody and saying sorry will not do away with the mistake you have done. if you have done a mistake without knowing the implications and without knowing that is is a son and then if you repent and if you don't repeat the same then only you can say that you have repented. Today beating somebody and repenting for the act and again tomorrow doing the same can't be treated as repenting. Paschatapam means feeling bad for the undoing, understanding where we have done the mistake and going to the person who got affected and asking for an excuse and not repeating the same again and again is only repenting. Many people feel guilty after committing some mistakes.
    drrao
    always confident

How about feeling guilty after committing the mistake every time, that won't serve the purpose. It would be like a child asking its parents for forgiveness after lying or committing a grave sin. So suggested by few of the authors above, simple feeling guilty won't be enough. What after feeling guilt? Repent and never do that again!

I do not feel that after intentionally doing a crime or a mistake and then if you repent, your sins will be washed off. I am a person who believe in God, so for me, God will not be able to forgive you completely because the loss of the other person cannot be covered when you confess. If it is a small mistake and the harm caused to the person on the other side is not too much, then I think if you repent sincerely your sins will be washed out. The whole point of confessing or repenting is that you understood your mistake and you will refrain from doing it next time, and that is a good sign which will in a way help to wash of your sins.

Always talk to your inner self couple of times when you are in doubt of doing a particular task. Go ahead with it only if your inner soul asks you to proceed, then I feel you will never have to repent in your life.

Regards
    Chitra
    "Do not give up, things might not favour you always"

Only Catholics have a practice of confession, it is not all Christians who do that. It is one of the seven sacraments of the Catholic Church. It is called the Sacrament of Penance & Reconciliation.

Who isn't a sinner? I think all of us have sinned, and by sin, I mean things that we do – not just in action, but also in thought and in words. If an evil thought crosses my mind, it is a sin. If I think of your failure, I am committing a sin, because I get pleasure out of my thoughts.

Coming to confessions, we can confess to God, directly. But, when we confess to a priest, we acknowledge our faults and it is humbling. We open ourselves and share our darkest secrets, something that we would be ashamed of. It makes us realise our faults and we seek forgiveness for those trespasses.

One of our prayers asks for forgiveness thus – "…I have sinned through my own fault, in my thoughts and in my words, in what I have done, and in what I have failed to do…" We seek for pardon our sins - our sins of omission and sins of commission.

"A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak" - Michael Garrett Marino

• Sign In to post your comments