You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Amusement

Let's converse in the Language of Shakespeare

If you have read the books of Shakespeare, you would know that his writings were different from the way we speak in our daily life.

So for a change, let's try to converse in the "Shakespeare Language". To get a hang of it I'll give few examples,

Me: I am very thirsty now, please pass me a glass of water.
    Shakespeare: I am very parched now, please passeth me a glass of water.

Me: It was a beautiful morning today
    Shakespeare: twas a quite quaint morning the present day

Don't worry about writing it in a wrong way, we will stumble and fall and rise up again. So, let's not be afraid to make mistakes and correct mistakes if we see any. To make it continuous, I'll start with a sentence and the respondent can reply anything related to that in Shakespeare language and I can reply back in the same.

Me: How did you spend your day today?
    Shakespeare: How didst thee spendeth thy day the present day?I desire thee wilt enjoy this game.
    Ok.. I will start first..

Me: I had a day full of surprises today, as it was my birthday and I got a lot of gifts.
    Shakespeare : I hadst the present day full of surprises, twas my birthday and I gotth lots many gifts.

I have tried my best ... hope will find less of mistakes.

A positive attitude will lead to positive results.

You were so close.. Woow!
    This is how Shakespeare would have said: I hadst a day full of surprises the present day, as twas mine birthday and I got a gross amount of gifts.

(Somewhat like above)

He also says that: Wish thee a very mirth and laughter on your day of merriment! God bless thee

Wast this a tough game? art we hesitant to tryeth something new?

Not at all a tough game, especially when you consider that there are online language converters that can be used. Which sorry to say aren't very accurate.

Having studied Shakespeare, I do not think the online tools do justice to The Bard. They merely convert words in a sentence into equivalent words in Shakespearean English, to form a sentence. But, the translated sentences do not necessarily maintain the meaning of the original sentence. The end result is not how Shakespeare would have said it.

Literal translation never works.

"A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak" - Michael Garrett Marino

Yeah, true there are many online tools which translate modern English into Shakespeare English.

How much of justification it does, I don't know as I haven't learned but would have loved to learn. But yeah I do know that Google translation to native language is not that good. It literally translates everything as per the line. I had tried to translate my blog into my native language and it was hilarious. But if we have someone to correct as we converse with the people who already know would be very beneficial. Even we can learn and they can brush their knowledge of Shakespeare.

• Sign In to post your comments