You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Gandhism today!

We profoundly celebrate Gandhi Jayanthi today with much patriotic fervour and we pay rich tributes to the 'Father of the Nation' by recollecting the teachings of the great son of the soil. Swatch Bharat Abhiyan a mission which has been a Government initiative to maintain cleanliness really a great contribution to show that we are still in the path of Gandhiji's ideology.
    Non-violence was the weapon which the great leader used against the British and succeeded in winning the objective after a long struggle. The same ideology could be noticed in recent times during the separation movement launched by the pro-Telangana activists and formation of the state of Telangana is one of the best examples that we can achieve do it by means of peoples' agitation through non-violence even today.

Apart from the above, I wonder whether the principles of Gandhian thoughts are really operating or working. Has the wearing of ' Khadi' clothes become a fashion designer's contribution or else a dress code for the political clan? How many got inspired by the movie 'Lagaraho Manna Bhai' except enjoying the commercial element? There were so many landmarks previously in cities including the Nation capital, towns and villages such as Gandhi lane, Gandhi chowk, Gandhi street etc but today we have many statues of the various leaders with smaller importance. There is nothing wrong in it but what pinches me is that the smaller statue of Gandhiji is being shadowed by very large statues of some other leaders as if there were no place to erect such statue.

Yet, the Gandhian thoughts and ideology would live longer as long as the Bhagavad-Gita, the Bible, the Quran and other noble books survive on this earth.
    The Gandhian philosophy is relevant forever, especially in the present day world. It is unfortunate that truth and non-violence have lost their value in the present day society. Hope people will realise the importance of these two virtues and practice them for the benefit of themselves and the universe.
    " Be Good and Do Good "

My view on Gandhism is different. The philosophy of Gandhi is now confined only in the books and those books are now kept in the shelves of libraries. The confinement of Gandhism in the shelves of libraries was initiated by the first Prime Minister of India.

There is no practical application of this '-ism' anywhere in the present-day world. This is the truth which may be bitter.

Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

Gandhian Philosophy of non-violence may not be taken these days as a protest they take it as a weakness. All political leaders talk about Gandhi and his philosophies. But no one including his strong disciples is following the same. everybody remembers hin today only. They garland the statue of him but no one in their attitude follows the great leader. As expressed by Partha his theories and philosophy are confined to books and those books are safe on the library shelves. Another doubt I have is if his philosophy is followed in true spirits by someone, he will be ignored and treated as an unworthy man.
    drrao
    always confident

No one can discard or disrespect Gandhian policies which has become hall mark in our life and even every political party has the compulsion to follow it. Gandhi was the most simplified person and his attire itself speaks volume that he was not for the power, greed for power or any post. He was instrumental in bringing people against the British atrocities and thus earned the name of great freedom fighter of the world . His way of life, his simplicity has baffled many people and even today foreign dignitaries make a point to visit Rajghat and pay their respects to the departed leader. Gandhian values actually change the attitude of even stubborn persons. If one slaps you, then showing other side of the face would bring radical change in the opposite person who may repent for having bet first time. Such is the power of Gandhigiri.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

we live in society that has changed so much that practicing Gandhism would be a most certain way to end one's political career at any level in India. Gandhiji, himself has said that 'there is no such thing as Gandhism, I do not want to leave any sect after me'.

Maybe we need to modify his principles to current day world. Let's face it practically being honest, being above corruption, putting the welfare of people above all, living by frugal means and practicing Ahimsa is not what many can do and if practiced the individual would become the object of criticism.

We can modify and implement his core teachings to a certain degree in each political party starting with the fresh faces. Maybe as expressed by Mr. Partha, this too may be designated to be on paper and not in practice.

Every political party pays lip-service to Gandhism, but no party implements it. For every party, Gandhism is best suited in the shelves of libraries.
    Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

Rightly said by Partha. I have been watching the so called politicians of every political party, who wants to ape Gandhi by having attires as he did and also say something on his goodness for the day and then forget all about.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Gandhi's philosophy of self-reliance,cleanliness,non-violence, tolerance, secularism and peaceful co-existence is all- time true philosophy. Following Gandhi's ideology is not following Gandhi-ism. He was against any ism. The relevance of the idea of non-violence has been recognised the world over. The international non-violence day is celebrated on the second of October every year.

Nationally, the central govt. has endorsed his ideology of cleanliness by starting a big project of Swach Bharat Campaign on his Jayanti. Seeing the present intolerance in the country in the name of cow or food habits or caste and religion makes his ideology of religious tolerance more relevant.

Politicians always tried to vitiate his ideology for political advantage and that slowly erodes the ideology in general and the person in particular. Modi's photograph weaving khadi on Khadhi Gramodhog Calendar shows such vitiation. Erection of statues and naming roads and big project in his name is merely a show. The deification of any person kills the person and his ideology becomes a ritual.

I also observed the statue war. I have seen small statues of Gandhi along with big statues of Ambedkar and other parochial leaders. This shows a rise of parochial politics over the national politics. Gandhi is a leader of Indians. Others limited themselves to a particular region or caste. But, I do not think that he has been shadowed by any other leaders.

I strongly feel that like minded people should come together to save the diversity and unity of this country by following his ideas rather than simply glorifying him.

The children are taught at home and at schools to speak nothing but the truth. We cannot tolerate if our family members tell lies to us. How speaking the truth becomes irrelevant now? It is relevant in the past, present and future.

Violence is increasing day by day. Children are abused, atrocities are committed on women, murders have become common. Warmongering is becoming more and more all over the world. What development are we talking about when there is no security for the people because of violence? Just imagine the mental condition of the people who suffered due to violence. How can non-violence be treated as weakness? Violence is to be shunned. Non-violence is always relevant.

" Be Good and Do Good "

• Sign In to post your comments