You must Sign In to post a response.
Want to try out your writing skills in a unique way? Express your interest to write a chapter for a unique Diwali e-book!
  • Category: Creative Writing

Diwali e-book contest - entries invited

This thread invites entries for the Diwali e-book. All are welcome to participate, including editors.

What you have to do here is simply state that you wish to participate in the contest. After a sufficient number of entries have come in, I will assign a chapter to each member, in batches of five or six maximum. All participants must check this thread daily and submit their chapter in the contest thread within 24 hours of the previous chapter being submitted (the time will appear on the response.)

The contest thread will be a separate one, where the e-book title will be mentioned and the opening chapter posted by me. Awards will also be mentioned in that thread. Once I have submitted Chapter 1, participants should begin submitting their chapters in sequential order, as per the chapter assigned to them. In case you miss out in submitting the next chapter within the deadline of 24 hours, you must not submit the text at all later as it will be taken up by the next participant in line. If you do submit the text after the deadline, it will simply be deleted.

So come on - let's get participants in this thread pronto!
    Please consider me. I am willing to participate in the e-book contest.
    "A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak" - Michael Garrett Marino

Please count me in. I will give it a try.
    'Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance'- Confucius

I will also give a try.

I would like to participate in the contest.
    Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

I will also participate and try.
    drrao
    always confident

I also want to try and participate.
    "It is hardest thing in the world to be good thinker without being a good self examiner"

please add me on to the growing list .

I am too willing to participate in this Diwali e-book contest.

I too wish to have my name in the E book. Alas! I am away from home with my mobile. It is not an easy task for me to pen a chapter in my mobile and submit. I am worried for my inability. I will be back home on 12 October 2017.
    No life without Sun

I am also interested to participate in the contest
    I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep.

I am also willing to participate in this unique contest.
    Please count me in for this...

Padmini

Living & Learning- simultaneous processes!

I would also like to participate. Please count me too.
    Do what inspires you !!

Wow! So many people are interested.

I am not very creative but would like to give it a try.

Regards
    Chitra
    "Do not give up, things might not favour you always"

I will also try in this contest.
    Honesty is the best policy.

I will tried my best for this contest.

I am interested to participate. Hopefully, I meet the rules of this contest. I will try to submit a good one.

I am also interested to participate in this contest.

Sun,

Since you are unsure about your ability to participate, then you will not be considered at all. A definite yes is required here. Registration will close when 20 members register for the contest in this thread. So far 16 members have registered (minus Sun.) In case the story can be developed further after 21 chapters (myself and 20 members) then maximum only 5 more registrations will be accepted. This thread will be kept open as chapters will be assigned here and an intimation will be given if more members can register.

The first batch of chapters will be assigned later today or tomorrow.

When people come at you with their worst, you should come at them with your best (advice given to Selena Gomez by her mother, quoted in Time magazine.)

Madam Vandana,
    You can consider my name if the contest prolongs beyond 12 October and if there is a gap for me to get in to write a chapter for lovely Diwali E-book. Waiting for an opportunity to see SuN plus.

No life without Sun

Assignment of the first lot of chapters is as follows:
    Chapter 1: myself
    Chapter 2: Partha
    Chapter 3: Neelam
    Chapter 4: Dr. N.V. Srinivasa Rao
    Chapter 5: Natarajan
    Chapter 6: Suman Sahu

This is to prepare you to be ready to submit your chapters in the main contest announcement thread which will be announced separately, along with instructions on how to submit, most likely tomorrow.

Sun - please note that I cannot give you preference as per your convenience to write as it would not be fair to the other participants. So for the last time I am requesting you - just say a simple yes or no!

When people come at you with their worst, you should come at them with your best (advice given to Selena Gomez by her mother, quoted in Time magazine.)

Now I have to wait for the first chapter. I will have to submit the second chapter within 24 hours of submission of the first chapter as a response to the other thread on the competition. I hope I have understood the rule.

I would like to take part.

Madam Vandana,
    VMT. It is a big NO. I shall participate in your next e-book. Until then 'Good Bye'. May your e-book attempt be successful with many glorious chapters to cherish. All the best, Vandana.

No life without Sun

Just a heads-up to everyone: The contest is now open! Please start submitting your entries as per the chapter number assigned to you. Happy to see so many members keen to participate.

Partha - you have understood the rule correctly.

Madam Vandana: My next chapter is ready. Kindly let me know whether the entire chapter should be in one paragraph, or I can write more than one para (within the given word-limit).

Partha,

You can write more than one paragraph, the way I have done for the first chapter in my response. The word limit does include the opening part 'Chapter ____; word:________'.

Thanks for the clarification reegarding word-limit.

But in the first Chapter, you have written the entire story in one para only. So, I sought the clarification.

Partha,

There are three paragraphs in the text.

I have submitted the second chapter at 14:16 Hours.

Now the next person in queue has to submit Chapter 3 by 14:16hrs tomorrow (6th October). Hope everyone is now clear about how this contest works.

Vandana mam I have submitted my entry before the time you mentioned and now I am unable to delete it will it affect selection procedure for the entries?
    "It is hardest thing in the world to be good thinker without being a good self examiner"

Ms. Joshi: Why do you want to delete your submission? Now, it would be the turn of the Member who has been assigned to write the fourth chapter.

Neelam, the guideline says 'within twenty four hours'. So, don't worry.

Partha sir I don't want to delete my post. I was just clearing my doubt as I submitted the post earlier than the time given by Vandana Mam and now Saji sir has cleared my doubt that it will not affect my entry.

Madam, I have submitted my write up Chapter:5 on 06-10-2017 at 21:38. Best of luck to all to get their creativity run wild.

After Chapter 6 is submitted, the next lot of 5 chapters will be written by -
    Chapter 7 - Padmini
    Chapter 8 - Hakimuddin Kuwakhedawala
    Chapter 9 - Saji Ganesh
    Chapter 10 - Aliasgar
    Chapter 11 - Pooja Srivastava

Dear Vandana ma'am,
    The 6th chapter is not yet submitted (the time is till 21.38 today). If it will not get submitted by the assigned participant before that, should I submit the 6th chapter before 21.38 on 8th Oct. ? Or should I wait for your response on the same?
    Please suggest...

Padmini

Ms. Padmini: As far as I have understood the rule of the contest, if the sixth participant doesn't submit the chapter by 21:38 hrs. today, you will get another 24 hours to submit the sixth chapter.

The way the rules sound, if the 6th comes in by 21:38 this evening (Saturday) , then you move on to your original chapter 7 assigned to you. If the submission doesn't happen then you submit your writ up as chapter 6 by Sunday 21:38. I hope I'm right. Either way you have till tomorrow, only the chapter number would change.

Padmini, Partha is right. You will have to submit your entry by 21: 38 hrs tomorrow.

I have already submitted the 6th chapter on 16:50 hours.

Hello fellow participant I want to ask a query here that I typed the name of a character as Rahul in the story but later Srinivas Rao changed its name to Ramesh and later this was continued in the whole story.
    Are participant allowed to change names of such character in the continuing story?

Yes, I have seen it. Ms. Joshi named the character ''Rahul'', which was later changed to Ramesh.

Even I addressed the elderly gentleman as ''fauji uncle'' which was later changed to ''Major uncle''.

This much inaccuracy can be allowed! These types of inaccuracies are corrected during proof-reading in real-life.

Well observed, even I didn't link it and used the name as Ramesh. Right now I think the only way to rectify is for Vandhana Mam, to just keep the character's name as Rahul or Ramesh.

Everyone,

No rectifications will be made. It would also not be right for me to comment on any changes the participants are making. Further, as I stated very clearly in the contest announcement thread, please do not make any comments or give feedback on chapters already submitted.

Please submit any further queries of the contest only, if any, in this thread and feedback later, after the contest closes, if you so wish.

Totally 18 chapters will be submitted (mine + that of 17 members.) Once chapter 11 is submitted, maximum three more entries will be accepted within 24hrs to make it a total of 20 participants. Registration for entries will then be closed, as that would provide a substantial number of chapters for the e-book.

I submitted my entry at, 9.05am today.
    I used the same names as used in previous chapter to avoid further confusion.

Padmini

Since I am down with fever, I request you kindly to remove my name from the list of participants.
    Regards,
    Nomita Mitra

I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep.

Ms. Mitra; Please take care. Wish you a speedy recovery. Don't think about the competition now.

I would like to write the same.

Nomita do take care of your health. Welcome Rupesh Khakhar to ISC. We are happy to have you here. Its good to see new members willing to take part in e-book Diwali contest.

Nomita - Thanks for the intimation. Take care of your health and get well soon.

Rupesh - Thank you for registering for the contest. You will be assigned a chapter later. Please check this thread regularly to see if you have been assigned a chapter in the next lot and read the instructions in the main contest announcement thread where you will submit your entry.

Kindly excuse me. As I am fixed up with sudden family problems I will not be able to participate in the contest. I am getting very lack of time to spend on this site for few days. I wish all the best for the contestants. I am very sorry for the inconvenience caused by me.

Since Hakimuddin failed to submit his entry within the 24hrs time limit (he should have submitted it by 09.05a.m. today), the chapters will now be written as follows:
    Chapter 8 - Saji Ganesh
    Chapter 9 - Aliasgar
    Chapter 10 - Pooja Srivastava
    Chapter 11 - Jenny

GSAdhiks - It is OK, no to worry.

Nice to see the enthusiasm among the members. Nomita Mitra pls take care. Maybe thread may get longer and you come back to write the last chapters.

Madam,
    May I join to write a chapter? I have a laptop to do the job. If considered, please give me a chance to write the last or last but one chapter. The chapters from our members are so interesting that tempted me to get a laptop on loan to have my name in the e-book on Deepavali.

No life without Sun

Madam,
    I wish to participate too. May I join in?

Live life Kingsize!

I have submitted the eighth chapter at 21:45 hrs.

Sun - since two participants dropped out, you have been added to the list of participants. A chapter will be assigned to you.

Joyshree - yes, you can participate too. Wait for a chapter to be assigned to you.

Live life Kingsize!

No life without Sun

Hello editors,
    I see that Mr. Aliasgar has not submitted his chapter and his time has also finished. Since my time has started , can I submit from my end? Please let me know, will do it right away.
    Thank you

Do what inspires you !!

Yes as Aliasgar did not submit the chapter within the given time frame, you could submit the next chapter.

Ok, I have made my submission as chapter nine.
    Do what inspires you !!

Since Aliasgar did not submit his entry & Pooja has followed it up, the chapters will now be written as follows -
    Chapter 10 - Jenny
    Chapter 11- Chitra
    Chapter 12- Sun
    Chapter 13- Rupesh Khakhar
    Chapter 14 - Joyshree

Submitted chapter- 10

Chitra has not submitted her entry. So the next member in line has to submit by 20.19hrs. tomorrow (13th October). Now no more registrations will be accepted. The remaining members who registered will write as follows:
    Chapter 11- Sun
    Chapter 12- Rupesh Khakhar
    Chapter 13 - Joyshree
    Chapter 14 - Sunilkanth
    Chapter 15 - Neethu
    Chapter 16 (final chapter which ends the e-book) - Juana

Please let me know if I missed out any of the members who registered in this thread for the contest.

Dear ISC,
    24 hrs lapsed since Jenny's last chapter 10 posted at 2019 hrs on 11th October. Ms Chitra failed to post her chapter 11 by 2019 hrs today. I, SuN going ahead to post chapter 11 as per rules.

@ Update: Have submitted chapter 11 at 2122 hrs today.

No life without Sun

I think Mr. Rules Kumar did not submit his chapter within 24 hrs. So I will submit chapter 12 as early as possible.
    Live life Kingsize!

Yes, unfortunately Mr. Rupesh Khakhar has also defaulted. Waiting eagerly to read Chapter 12 of the story.

Posted the chapter just now.
    Live life Kingsize!

I guess the time has lapsed for Mr. SunilKanth, so I will take up the Chapter 13. Will post it in a while.

Submitted Chapter 13 at 17:07.

This thread will be closed once the final chapter is submitted. Then the contest thread, too, will be locked & you can give your feedback once the winners are announced.

Many thanks for the wonderful response. I really appreciate it.

A day passed after the submission of chapter 13. The member Juana due to write the final chapter 14 has failed to submit it. I suggest our contest author to write chapter 14 and conclude the contest and announce the result on Diwali day.
    No life without Sun

I think the final chapter of the e-book has been written now. The book consists of thirteen chapters. No need for another chapter.

Of course the ME will take the final decision.

13 is an unlucky number. So, it is ideal to have a chapter added. I anticipated 18 chapters. I don't understand why ISC's highly regarded members ignored this contest.
    No life without Sun

I will put in a closing chapter, not because 13 is an unlucky number (I don't believe in such mumbo-jumbo!!) but only because I wish to conclude the e-book without an abrupt ending. After that I will close the contest thread.

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.