You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Don't purchase Bird of Paradise from Galiff Street market (in Kolkata)

Bird of Paradise is a colourful bird. This bird is found in Australia, Indonesia and Papua-New Guinea. This beautiful bird is not an inhabitant of India.

Why I don't know, this bird (or the name of this bird) has fascinated the Kolkatans since ages. People are ready to pay anything to acquire this bird. There is very high demand of this bird in the city, although there is no supply.

The main bird market of Kolkata is at Galiff Street. The market is illegal. However, on every Sunday, people throng this market to purchase different types of birds. However, if a person doesn't have clear idea about birds, there is every possibility of getting cheated.

As the bird-sellers know the fascination of Kolkatans about Bird of Paradise, they capture crow, cuckoo and parrot, colour them with a special colour and sell these birds at an exorbitant rate. As there are different species of Bird of Paradise, they somehow manage to hoodwink the willing customers regarding the beaks and tails of the bird saying that that particular Bird of Paradise (which is on display) is from a different speci.

I know many people who have been cheated by the bird-sellers of Galiff Street. They purchased coloured crow/cuckoo/parrot at an exorbitant rate thinking they were purchasing Birds of Paradise. After sometime, the crow, cuckoo or parrot get back their original colour (sometime they also die due to the harmful effect of dye) . A famous Bengali writer, Narayan Gangopadhyay, also wrote about this cheating practice of bird-sellers to sell fake Bird of Paradise in the fifties. My friend Buju (about whom I wrote earlier) paid more than Rs. 2000/- to purchase a fake Bird of Paradise way back in late-eighties!

So, please don't purchase Bird of Paradise from Galiff Street (Hatibagan) market of Kolkata.
    Thanks for posting this Mr.Partha, there are lots of unique birds of paradise, especially South American countries and they are illegal to be traded here. Good suggestion, if we are not knowledgeable, well end up getting an imitation variety.

Good. There are many ways to cheat people and make money. This is one way. Lack of Knowledge about a particular bird by the purchaser has been getting enchased here.
    There are a number of ways to make money unethically.
    One day one street was selling dal at a very low rate. Everybody is crazy to purchase from him. My wife asked the vendor to give one Kg of dal. He measured the quantity with a container and gave her. When she has seen the quantity she got a doubt. Immediately she brought a balance and weighed it. It is weighing 550 grams instead of 1000 grams. She came out and by the time she came out he left that place on his bike without taking money also. All others we purchased higher quantity got deceived.

drrao
    always confident

We do not know the antecedents of birds which are being sold by gullible vendors. Even in Hyderabad at Abids, we have one bird dealer who sells rare birds. The price is also more as we do no know the exact native of the birds and animals. But bird watchers and bird lovers would certainly want to have one even at the high cost. By the way selling birds itself a crime and how come these people do so in open. The police station is just stone throw away and no action would be taken.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

A very informative thread. Thanks Partha. At times I feel ceratain people are researching on finding ways to cheat others and thereby make money. Such money is of no use, only hard earned money will stay with us.
    Regards
    Chitra
    "Do not give up, things might not favour you always"

Thanks to all Members who have read this thread. Actually in this thread I wanted to state that some bird-sellers are minting money by taking advantage of the illogical fascination of Kolkatans about Bird of Paradise. This fascination and cheating have been going on for more than hundred years in the city.

Why are Kolkatans so fascinated about Bird of Paradise? In our beautiful land ('sonar Bangla'), there are thousands of beautiful birds which are rarely seen in other parts of the world.

Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

• Sign In to post your comments