You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

What motivates you to go to work?

Many of us wake up in the morning and rush to work, be it full time, part time or over time, day shift or night shift. What makes us report for work, is it to earn a living, to have a career, to keep ourselves occupied, to help someone etc. People are rich beyond dreams but still, their children work daily, people are poor and the entire family sometimes have to work to meet ends. Mother leave their young toddlers at home with a babysitter ( literally a stranger) and go to work.

What do you think motivates us to work ( apart for earning to feed us).
    This was my first question in Ask Expert, this has rekindled my memory. I got wonderful answers over there.

My Question

The need for money motivates me to work. If I had sufficient money I would have chosen only a part time job so that I can keep myself occupied. I have my own commitments, a family to take care of and to meet the increasing expenses in the society; I need a job. At times I feel sleepy and tired won't be in a mood to work, still I will have to get up and rush to work. Thinking about by rent, kids school fees, credit card due date etc will automatically make me go for work. I know many people in my office who think the same.

My husband is earning, so I have an option to sit at home but it will be a burden for him. I feel it is really hard to make a decent living if only family member is earning. Both the husband and wife have to make a pretty good amount to run the family and to set aside at least a small portion as savings.

Regards
    Chitra
    "Do not give up, things might not favour you always"

Other than earning for livelihood there are few things which generally motivate us to go for work.

The primary thing is to be occupied positively, to contribute. That is very very important as empty mind is devil's workshop.

Another thing is career. Everyone wants to rise in life and reach the top position.

These are the two main things which prompt one to go to his workplace.

Knowledge is power.

Earlier after joining Government service I used to think that I would be able to change the society. I used to think that I would be able to contribute meaningfully for the welfare of people. After more than 28 years, I know that primarily I work to earn money for the family. But even now I try to learn everyday. I try to help people everyday. But how much can I do, I don't know.
    Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

The prime motive for going for a job is to earn your livelihood. If you take the example of a daily wage earner if he is not getting a square meal for the day if he is not going to the work. For him, the motivation is getting the food.
    But as you said there are many other motivating factors for the person to go to the job. Recognition and rewards motivate people like anything. If you just praise your subordinate in presence of others he will get motivated and perform much better. If someone has done a mistake, if you shout at him in presence of all he will get demotivated and become nervous and his performance levels will come down. further. Instead of that call him separately and explain to him where he has done the mistake and advise him properly he will become enthusiastic and motivated.
    Finally, to sum up, the motivating factors for us to go to work are money, recognition, rewards and appreciation.
    Other learned members may add many others factors which may motivate them.

drrao
    always confident

#611559: Sorry Neethu, didn't realize this earlier, today was waiting at work for things to start going my way but it took a couple of hours for it to happen, this got me thinking. hence the thread.
    Request the editors to lock the thread as it would a repetition of the excellent answers give in that section.

Well when I was in Delhi and being a young officer in reputed jeans manufacturing company, my rights were immense and the freedom given was great at that age to take decisions on my own. That created whole some interest in the job and I would love to work late hours and even go on the holidays to work. My team was also dedicated and the tasks were performed even before the asking time. Our team used to get the best employee awards and trophy every month. If such work culture is assured who will not have the interest to go to the office and attend the tasks with interest ?
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Please don't apologize Mr. NAtarajan, in this thread, we will get many more varied responses from other ISCian's. My intention was only to show those responses as well along with the ones that you will be getting here.

What a nice gesture and mature way of presentation by Neethu and Natarajan! I am happy to experience the civil and decent way ISC members interact. So that closes the interim doubt and let the thread be alive to discuss.

Motivation is something more strong than a mere valid reason. For example I am now retired. I have not engaged myself in any salary earning activity. But some of my earlier colleagues and some people I know are still in some job even after retirement. I also can have a reason and justification if I take up some job on salary. But I have not taken up because the reason is not strong enough to push me for that. So I am not motivated to take up another job now. Many people have asked me in wonder how I spend my time without taking up a regular job.

One person's motivation need not be another's motivation.

Generally for most people,initially the need of a regular income(money)becomes the main motivation . People may work overtime, work even on holidays to get double wages etc. It may remain so for a few years. Then, after marriage and having a family,though money remains a reason, there come some other motivating factors too. Like status-that is why people take up promotion eventhough it may bring disturbance and dislocation. The non-cash perks like furnished accommodation, leave, transport facility etc. Money being not the main motivation, the employee may then take leave even at loss of pay for being with family or for catering to their needs. When a person reaches the middle ages, independence and freedom become the stronger motivating factors. If these are curtailed he may resign on impulse even and search for another job even lower paying, but giving more independence and freedom.

After a certain stage most people lose the motivation from money,status, facilities or even freedom and independence. They may find service as the motivation. At this stage people may start spending money and time in service for others.

The faster the stronger a prior motivation gets satisfied the faster he is motivated by another.

• Sign In to post your comments