You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

How about going paperless?

The amount of papers that we waste daily at work made me think about this. Technology has developed so much, we are able to note down everything in the system, we can save it and have a backup of the data. Also we can carry files and presentations in a small USB rather than carrying paper files. It is easy to check for details and files in the system rather than searching for files in the cupboards. All of us carry a mobile with us, so important information's can be noted in the phone, so that you can carry it with you wherever you go. When technology has made it so easy and convenient for us, why do we still have to depend on papers?

By going paperless, we are not only saving the trees but also saving on our time which we spend on printing and filing these papers. When compared to the number of trees we plant more is the number of the trees we cut down. Even if we didn't plant any, it will be really great if we can save them. By going paperless, I feel we can at-least make a small change.

Have you gone paperless in your office? Share your suggestions.
    Many offices are gone paperless now. In our office all information will be circulated through emails only. Even in meetings we go woohoo our laptops and note down the points directly there in. All our presentations will be on computer only. Any urgent information by whatsappp. We use papers only for government approvals and other statutory requirements. Even appointment letters, increment letters, promotion letter and disciplinary action letters will be by mails only. 90% consumption of paper reduced.
    Newspapers printing should also comedown. Only on line editions should be there. Then on the whole paper consumption will come down. These days full page advertisements even by governments is increasing the paper consumption. This should be stopped. Otherwise deforestation will be high and whole earth will become a fireball. Human beings can't sustain that much heat also. Already we are experiencing the climatic changes which untimely. The awareness among public has to come down.

drrao
    always confident

Maybe few years down the lane, papers will become history. In a major scale, people are adapting to go paperless, considering all the pros and cons. While yes it is definitely a very good idea to go paperless it has its own risk, there are many things which paper cannot replace at least not in the next few years.

Books have been replaced with e-books, while everything is available at the tip of the finger I do miss flipping through the pages and smell that comes from reading cannot be experienced through technology.

Written exams getting replaced by online exams with all its limitation, the newspaper is now e-newspaper. The day is not far when they will stop the printing of the newspapers.

In our office, hardly any paper is used, even agreement and document were signed and taken online to save papers. The coupons which are issues are also e-coupons, these are small steps that are taken to save paper and I am sure this will go long way.

Cloud is already a big thing with all the details and data being saved, but again a minor crash can render us helpless. If we completely rely on our mobile phones, if we will ever lose it we will lose all the data along with.

Though it's a good idea to go paperless, I guess it's going to take many more years for us to go completely paperless.

The future is going to be paper less transaction regime and we are slowly diverted to that kind of practice by the banks from now onward. In future there would be wire transactions and no paper transactions. Even the currencies would be withdrawn phase wise and future transactions would be on credit cards and e transactions. Moreover every citizen would come under the ambit of bank account maintenance and what ever daily transactions are made and sought are closely monitored. I am fully supporting the cash less transaction and in fact it should have been started long back.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

We have come a long way from writing on leaves or in clay slab. Printing on paper was a major breakthrough in human history. It helped us became a knowledge society, where reading has come from a luxury of rich class to the slums of poor. Paper has considered a luxury item a hundred years ago, now its cheapest commodity. But in private and government offices it is eating up spaces. Sometimes huge piles of files welcome us in offices. When our government pushing for digital India it is a shame that some of the offices rely completely on paper. Its high time for them to change to digital.

There are so many a advantages of paperless office. The main advantage is storage. I am not neglecting the fact paperless offices are 'more' eco-friendly. Those machines we use to go paperless leave a significant carbon footprint when they manufacture and the electricity that these machines use is produced after massive destruction of forest land. I am not downplaying the effects of manufacturing of paper on our environment. About four billion trees are cutting down by the paper industries all around the world. But we had also lost thousands of square kilometres of forest land for hydrel power plants in last three decades. When we weigh them one is less harmful than other.

Let us come back to the advantages, one gigabyte can hold thousands of pages of document. Updating the memory of the machines is easier than dedicating an entire room for these files. If the memory of the machine is getting low add more memory.

When we need to find the file it is very easy to find in a computer. On the other hand finding a physical file in an office is very difficult. If the file is very old, it is like finding a needle in a haystack. There is so many data management software available in the market which makes management files in an office more efficient. If we are in the old paper-based system, the file logging and retrieving is a nightmare.

Paper is prone to damage if it is not stored properly. But in the case of digital files, we do not need to worry about weather, rats or termites. Its common in government offices that files getting damaged because of these issues.

India is run by bureaucrats. It is very difficult to move a file from one table to another. And the officer expects money from us. If we do not pay the bribe the file will not move an inch. When all the file transfer in an office become electronic, it is very easy for the superior officers to check the movement of files in an office. If files in a table to moving then he can inquire about it very easily. By this way, we can control the menace of corruption in government offices.

But there are some downfalls for this shift. These machines become useless if there is no power backup. We can not entirely depend on grid power. India is notorious for its power cuts, so an alternative power source is necessary. And files stored in a computer is prone to virus attacks, hacking, and physical damage due to fire and water.There is a great possibility of machine damage or data corruption due to unknown reasons. In this case, we should have a backup of the files stored these machines. There should be an independent backup of this information in servers, safe from these damages.

#Good to be Good

Even upto my 10th standard, I never even dreamn't that things can be done paperless. I grew up writing rough work once and then re-writing it as neat work, what a waste of paper, it did help my handwriting tough.

Yes, we are in a world were in most of the things can be done paperless. Going 100% paperless across the country would be difficult for the next few years at least because of various factors (accepting change, fear of insecurity, need for infrastructure, legalising and accepting paperless documents and confidentiality issues).

For land deeds, many of us in India, still believe in a paper with a signature that is witnessed and verified by a thumbprint and an appropriate official stored safely is better than a computerised record.

We are definitely heading towards a paperless world in many fields be it education, bank statements, home utility services, tax filing and communication (formal and informal). What we need is an increased effort at every level to practice the paperless concept. The office I work is mostly paperless, few clients still need a piece of paper in their hands for the feel-good factor.

Lastly, we should give a serious consideration for 1-2 backups for important communication and legal documents. I think the major hurdle would be security and safeguarding one's identity. If we go paperless then important access depends on a bunch of numbers and passwords that can be stolen or borrowed or even sold from a common storage platform.

• Sign In to post your comments