You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Festivals

Today Assamese people are celebrating 'Kati Bihu'

Today is the first day of Assamese month 'Kati'. On this auspicious day Assamese people celebrate 'Kati Bihu'. Goddess Lakshmi is worshipped on this day by the Assamese. On this Bihu, people light earthen lamps in front of Tulsi plant, the granary, garden and the paddy fields. The cattles are also fed with 'pithas'. People worship before the deities for rich harverst. On this day, farmers go to their respective fields and light "Akash-Banti" or sky-lamp on the tip of a bamboo pole to show the souls of the dead the way to heaven.

On this auspicious day, I pray along with my Assamese brethren for peace and prosperity for all Indians.
    My Guru always tells that irrespective of religion God is one but calling /worshipping in different forms/names as a water is being called as aqua,pani,neeru,neelu,vallam,thanneer etc., So the deepavali also celebrated in different part of our country in different ways and forms
    Happy Deepavali Greetings.

For us, Kartika Masam starts from the next day of Deepavali. In this month a light in a clay diya will be lighted before Tulasi plant and also near the entrance of the house in the night every day. This month is very famous for worshipping Lord Siva. Some people will not eat anything during daytime in this month. Only in the night after seeing a star in the sky they eat food. Everyday before sun raises bath with cold water and visiting a temple is a must for these people.
    Happy Kati Bahu to all Assamese.

drrao
    always confident

I wish all my Assamese friends peace and prosperity on this auspicious day of Kati Bihu!
    'Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance'- Confucius

Once again all credit goes to the author for bringing out this great information about Kati Bihu which seems to be important festival of Assamese. My best wishes and hearty congrats to Assam people on this occasion.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.