Let's learn about our neighbours: Here comes MaldivesAfter Nepal and Bhutan, now it's the turn of Maldives. Of late these quiet islands in the Indian ocean have become favourite torust destinations from many people from India. Now let's learn some interesting facts about our southern neighbour, Maldives.
1. Maldives held an underwater cabinet meeting in 2009. It was the first country in the world to do so. It was done to raise awareness level on climate change.
2. Maldives consists of 1,190 coral islands grouped into 26 atolls. Out of these 1190 islands, only around 200 islands are inhabited. The country has tremendous strategic importance in the Indian ocean because of its location.
3. Maldives is the lowest and flattest country of the world. Maldives' ground level is averaged at 1.5 meters and its highest point stands at 2.3 meters. The main concern of the people is that if the global temperature increases, entire country will get drowned in the Indian ocean.
4. Maldives is the smallest Muslim country. We may say that it is 'Constituionally intolerent'. The Constitution of the country specifically forbids citizens from following any other religion except Islam.
5. Originally people from southern states of India, especially from Kerala, settled at Maldives more than 2300 years ago. The first actual kingdom was said testablished by the son of the king of Kalinga (now Orissa). The Kalinga king was displeased with his son and the Prince was sent away to the Maldives, where he founded a new kingdom.
6. The literacy rate of Maldives is 98% with children below ten are 100% literate.
Every Member of ISC must try to visit this beautiful, calm and quiet country at least once. Nowadays visiting Maldives from India has become very easy.