You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Let's learn about our neighbours: Here comes Maldives

After Nepal and Bhutan, now it's the turn of Maldives. Of late these quiet islands in the Indian ocean have become favourite torust destinations from many people from India. Now let's learn some interesting facts about our southern neighbour, Maldives.

1. Maldives held an underwater cabinet meeting in 2009. It was the first country in the world to do so. It was done to raise awareness level on climate change.

2. Maldives consists of 1,190 coral islands grouped into 26 atolls. Out of these 1190 islands, only around 200 islands are inhabited. The country has tremendous strategic importance in the Indian ocean because of its location.

3. Maldives is the lowest and flattest country of the world. Maldives' ground level is averaged at 1.5 meters and its highest point stands at 2.3 meters. The main concern of the people is that if the global temperature increases, entire country will get drowned in the Indian ocean.

4. Maldives is the smallest Muslim country. We may say that it is 'Constituionally intolerent'. The Constitution of the country specifically forbids citizens from following any other religion except Islam.

5. Originally people from southern states of India, especially from Kerala, settled at Maldives more than 2300 years ago. The first actual kingdom was said testablished by the son of the king of Kalinga (now Orissa). The Kalinga king was displeased with his son and the Prince was sent away to the Maldives, where he founded a new kingdom.

6. The literacy rate of Maldives is 98% with children below ten are 100% literate.

Every Member of ISC must try to visit this beautiful, calm and quiet country at least once. Nowadays visiting Maldives from India has become very easy.
    A good post about the neighbouring island The Maldives. As usual, Partha has given a very good account of this Island. I am unfortunate that I couldn't visit this place so far. I am interested in seeing this place. I may visit in 2018. It is very nice to note that they held their cabinet meeting underground. The literacy rate is also very high with 100% in children.
    drrao
    always confident

Yes in the movies we have treated with the wonderful and beautiful locations of the Maldives Islands and the author gave some great facts about the tiny Islands. The literacy being 100 percent really baffled me considering that to be the Muslim dominated country.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Great thread Mr.Partha about Maldives, It's a favourite destination for the newly married and young families. Its known for its blue pristine beaches, clear water that's excellent for scuba diving and snorkelling.

One of the wonders at Maldives is the magical shining water at a particular beach. During the night times at specific times, the beaches around Baa Atoll area become glowing due to the luminescent plankton.

Pork, Alcohol and other religious books( that can be seen as non-personal use) are best left out of the pieces of luggage.

Nice to know these facts about Maldives. It is one of my dream destinations and I should visit the country soon, hopefully. My cousin is working there and I have seen the pics she uploads, amazing water, greenish in color with lovely resorts around. A best place for honeymoon and for those who love water bodies.
    Regards
    Chitra
    "Do not give up, things might not favour you always"

It is a knowledgeable thread describing Maldives. I will also try and make a trip to this lovely place.
    Do what inspires you !!

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.